Help, possible allergies in 3 of my mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Help, possible allergies in 3 of my mice

Hey all. I am very worried about my 3 white mice (Raina, Esme, and Nakotah), they look as if they are losing some of their hair. I am not sure if it is due to an allergy or not, I never see them scratching and never see any of them fight. My cream/tan fancy mouse (Sable) is in the same cage and has no hair loss or redness at all. If it is due to a food allergy I do not know what it would be from. Any ideas as to the slight hair loss or redness? I really do not want to lose these girls, they mean way too much to me. Could Sable be attacking them when I am not around? I am so confused. Please help, I heard if it is an allergy to feed them strictly rice...but I wanted to verify that with someone on here first. Thanks for your time, it is very much appreciated.

My animals are my babies:
Cats: Abegale, Figaro, Chud and Adalynn
Ferrets: Panda & Fox
Mice: Nakotah, Raina and Esme (all white)
Rats: Ava (white&gray) and Isabel *new addition* Opal and Zuri (part siamese)
My Parents Cats (I love them like they are my own): Cutie, Grey, Precious, Milo, Belindo (aka Billy), Oreo, Pepper, Koda and Fluffers

Rest in Peace all my babies I miss you dearly:
Mice: Sable (March 2013), Piper (March 2012), Kayleigh (Dec 31, 2011), Eleanor, Analeghsia, Chloe and Zoey.
My Kitties I grew up with: Babs, Gonzo. Moon and Angel
My kitties who never came back home: Peach and Buster
I miss you all, you will forever hold a place in my Heart <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Have you treated for parasites yet?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

No i have not, what all do i need to do for them to clear that? I have never had an issue with parasites before so i am not sure of the proper proceedure. I guess i didnt think about that possibility since Sable didnt look like she was being bothered at all. I just want to do everything i can to make them better . I did want to transfer them from their bedding to fleece instead like my rats use, since Izzy (one of my ratties) was allergic to the bedding, it never seemed to bother the girls so i was going to finish off the bag, i'm praying so much that it isnt a parasite due to their bedding, i would feel so horrible.

My Parents Cats (I love them like they are my own): Cutie, Grey, Precious, Milo, Belindo (aka Billy), Oreo, Pepper, Koda and Fluffers

Mice: Sable (March 2013), Piper (March 2012), Kayleigh (Dec 31, 2011), Eleanor, Analeghsia, Chloe and Zoey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerclara1987 View Post
No i have not, what all do i need to do for them to clear that? I have never had an issue with parasites before so i am not sure of the proper proceedure. I guess i didnt think about that possibility since Sable didnt look like she was being bothered at all. I just want to do everything i can to make them better . I did want to transfer them from their bedding to fleece instead like my rats use, since Izzy (one of my ratties) was allergic to the bedding, it never seemed to bother the girls so i was going to finish off the bag, i'm praying so much that it isnt a parasite due to their bedding, i would feel so horrible.
It happens to any of us. YOu just need to freeze any wood or paper-based beddings for 48 hours to prevent it.

I used Revolution for my mice, but just the teensiest amount.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I do have one tube of revolution left that I have not touched, should I put it on all of my mice and my two rats (that are housed separately) just in case? And do you have any specific measurement amounts you think would be best? I was thinking to put some of the revolution on a plate and possible use a toothpick (filed so it isnt sharp) and dab a bit on it and put it on them. Do I still put it on their neck/shoulder blade area, like you do for cats? I just do not want to risk doing it wrong and killing my little angels. i could never live that one down

Thanks so much for helping me out Lilspaz it means a lot to me

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerclara1987 View Post
I do have one tube of revolution left that I have not touched, should I put it on all of my mice and my two rats (that are housed separately) just in case? And do you have any specific measurement amounts you think would be best? I was thinking to put some of the revolution on a plate and possible use a toothpick (filed so it isnt sharp) and dab a bit on it and put it on them. Do I still put it on their neck/shoulder blade area, like you do for cats? I just do not want to risk doing it wrong and killing my little angels. i could never live that one down

Thanks so much for helping me out Lilspaz it means a lot to me
Do you have dog or cat Revolution? Dog is twice as strong so this is important.

Do you have a medicating syringe?

If your meeces are handleable,I prefer to part the fur on the the top of their hed near their ear and put a teeny amount on the skin. if your meeces aren't handleable, then just put the teeny drop on the back of their neck of shoulder.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I knew i had one tube of revolution left! I found it last night, and gave all four of my mice and my two rats a little dab. Thank god i found it, cause Sable (the last mouse i thought didnt have any issues) had an really small wound my her right ear, right below it. I was debating if this all could be a barbering issue. But of course i wanted to treat them no matter what. Hopefully this will help my girls.
Maybe it is a cage issue also, the mice are in an aquarium, with an additional wired topper doubling their living space. Should i switch to a strictly wired cage for them? I keep up on the cleaning of their cage, and i decided to get rid of the bedding by carefresh and give the mice fleece just like my rats have (since Isabel had an allergic reaction to the carefresh bedding). I would love any feed back. Thanks guys

Tags
allergy, mice, redness