Help Rat Advice Desperately Needed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Help Rat Advice Desperately Needed

Ok as i said in the other thread i was called by a rescue and given a mama and 13 babies. I had been planning a female rat as a pet but really not this soon. (I was thinking sometime in april around my b-day) So I took her in with her babies. My mice are eating "carefresh complete" for rats and mice so i have been giving her that with water and some frozen rasberries. I was also planning some rolled oatmeal. NOT the quick cook kind the old fashioned kind. And I have whole oats i feed my livestock i could give if need be. would this work for her? she looks run down already, and with the birth and the moving so much. And the cats knocking the cage off while i was gone today (i had thought i got them all out of the house while i was gone) I am worried about her health. I had heard that i should give her eggs. How do i give them? scrambled, boiled, or raw? Also she had a male in the cage with her when i picked them up!!!!! SO my question is after looking it up tjey are basically like mice in that they will breed again right after the babies are born correct? If so the gestation is the same also? I have a picture of her in her travel cage i brought her home in. But I didnt have a rat cage all i have is a hamster cage and it is taken down so right now she is in a rubber tote Not the ideal situation but it is what i have untill the 3rd of january. Then i plan to get her a good cage off the internet just not sure wich one yet havent found the perfect one! Still looking i will have 50 for the cage on the 3rd so i have time to look. So any advice would be awesome! I am super excited to have a new rat I so missed mine and she is so pretty looking white belly and dark gray top

"E"
wife to "G" 9/07
Mama to
"A" 6/07
"D" 3/09
And tons of fur babies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

protein sources - cooked egg, fish or chicken. Try to find Ensure if you can. KEEP those cats away from her...poor stressed little momma.

Possibly expect a baby or 2 to pass if they are within the first few days (the runts often do leave us)...how old are they?

Lots of veggies, good staple diet (I'll check out carefresh complete later on), oatmeal is good with soy milk or ensure, lots of fresh water, etc.

The tote bin is fine, lots of people use those as temp homes for nursing momma's. Handle the babies every day.

And yes the female can be impregnated within 24 hours of the birth, which potentially means another litter on the way. There is a delayed implantation of the fertilized egg, so post-estrus pregnancies are usually 28 days plus, giving the current litter a chance to survive instead of being forcibly weaned before 3 weeks (usual gestation is 21-23 days).

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack