Help! Sick new mouse!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Help! Sick new mouse!!

I've recently been given a young male mouse, and for the first week or so he was fine. This morning one of his eyes was a little stuck shut, but I had woken him up by changing his water - it could be sleep? Then I was handling him a few moments ago and he squeaked a great deal when I put a hand around him or touched his sides, and he'd jump if I touched his sides. He was acting a little hectic, too, as if he'd been scared or hurt. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing, but I want to make sure the little guy's okay. Any ideas what could be wrong with him? Thanks. xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Is he eating and drinking? Some mice can be babies and they'll squeak if you touch them.

If he is still active like running on his wheel, and eating and drinking and isn't lethargic then he's probably okay. Just keep an eye on him.

*Missy*
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I aren't sure if he's lethargic or not. He lives with no other mice because I was given him and didn't really dare introduce another mouse to him - didn't want babies, don't have the money to get a male neutered and I don't want to put another male in with him. I'm pretty sure if he'd been with a sibling the whole time he'd be more active but I'm quite sure he spends a lot of time in his house/bed. So maybe he is lethargic...
Also, he's been handled and picked up before, only giving the occasional squeak if I surprised him, usually a short squeak. These squeaks were longer and more distressed...
I have cleaned his tank for the second time since I bought him last night. I don't think I changed anything drastically, I don't think the sawdust is terribly different (although it may well be), so I don't know about allergies. The sawdust I used last night was Wilkinson's own brand whereas the first lot I used was just labelled "small animal sawdust bedding". Can't think of anything else...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

How is he breathing? You really have to be careful with woodbased beddings and small rodents. They have really sensitive respiratory systems. He might have a URI and in that case he'll have to go to the vet.

And you're right, male mice are usually best kept alone.

*Missy*
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Part of the Pack

i think sawdust is a definate no-no... i think. if you're going to use wood based bedding, isn't it better to use wood shavings? less dusty?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 01:34 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Sawdust is actually a big no-no. If you want to use a wood based bedding use aspen. That is the only safe wood bedding for rodents, and honestly I still find it too dusty.

*Missy*

Tags
illness, jumping, mouse, runny eyes, sick