Help! They've chewed a hole in their cage!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Exclamation Help! They've chewed a hole in their cage!!!

Ok, so I got up this morning to see that my boys have managed to chew a hole in their cage base. It's not anywhere near big enough for them to fit through, yet, but we all know how quickly they can chew things... The base is plastic. (I'll put a photo of the cage below.)

What can I do to patch it??? aaahhh!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

buy a new bottom! but it won't keep them from doing it again.
I rescue wild squirrels, they're even bigger chewers than rats, they chewed the base of the cage too, but they never chewed it to the point of making a hole big enough to go through.
Maybe rub something on it they don't like the taste of?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, I went to the hardware store right away this morning and got some wire fencing to surround the outside of the base--this should at least keep them from escaping, if they do in fact chew a big enough hole to get through it. I also just called PetSmart, where I bought the cage, and they told me they'll exchange it for a new one! So tonight I'll go and get a new cage... but now the question is how to keep them from chewing through that one??

Is it safe to use galvanized steel wire inside the cage? Any other suggestions for how to "chew-proof" a plastic cage base from the inside??

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Part of the Pack

See if you can get a cage pan for a rabbit cage made out of galvanized steel. A good source is :

www.klubertanz.com

good luck!

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Ok, got the replacement cage this morning, and I installed some linoleum around the inside of the base, along the sides. Hopefully this will prevent them from chewing through the cage itself, although I fully expect them to chew the linoleum at some point. (It was really cheap, though, and can be replaced easily.)

We'll see how this goes!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
RAT ADDICT

I only ever had that happen ONCE and the girls who did it got out and I found them running around the "rat room".I just ended up replacing the whole cage and never had it happen again.

Make sure you provide your boys with lots of toys and chewing things so they don't find it nessicary to chew the cage.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
I only ever had that happen ONCE and the girls who did it got out and I found them running around the "rat room".I just ended up replacing the whole cage and never had it happen again.

Make sure you provide your boys with lots of toys and chewing things so they don't find it nessicary to chew the cage.

Thanks--that's good to know!! I do have several types of chew toys in their cage, but I don't think they like them much, because they rarely pay attention to them. I've given them wooden sticks from the pet store (specifically for small animals to chew), a hanging pet "kabob" with wooden blocks, some plastic cat chew toys (which they do like to play with), and a big straw ball from the pet store. (They finally started to chew on that last night...after having it around for about two months!)

Any other chew toy suggestions?

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

One thing I get my rats sometimes are those edible "Nylabones" for dogs.They come in many flavors...and you can get fruit ones too! My rats always seem to love those!

Some rats are more of a chewer then others.Out of my boys,I only have one little guy who chews alot.He is one of my newer boys (still unnamed,the boy with more black on him) and he will chew everything.My other boys are not big chewers.But those "Nylabones" are a big hit!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:08 AM

Welcome to the most common rodent bad habit. lol. (technically not bad, and totally necessary)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Adolescent Pup

I give my girls serviettes. Like just every day disposable napkins. I clean them out and replace them every few days. They're safe, thick, and it keeps them amused for a while. They like to drag them inside their house and tear them up. But my girls aren't huge chewers.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)