HELP, too many cute baby rats, need advise! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

HELP, too many cute baby rats, need advise!

Hello everyone,

Well my two male rats turned out to be a couple, and she just had a liter of babies, and I guess I waited too long to seperated them cause she just had a 2nd litter 2 days ago. I wish I could keep them all!! but I dont want to be a a hoarder, I already have 5 guinea pigs, 3 degus, and another senior female rat and just not enough room. i know your thinking I should of known better, and I'm kicking myself, but I did NOT do it on purpose, I know about all the homeless and abandoned animals, but all I can do is making sure they have good homes to go to and seperated the mother and father.

Well anyways, my question is, is how do I go along making sure these cute babies go to good homes when I advertise them for free??? I don't need the money, so I dont want to "sell" them, I just want them to go to good homes. So is there any way to know if this person is a good pet person or just someone who needs free snake food?? Are there even ways to advoid evil people like that (not saying snake owners are evil, just people who lie and tell you they want a pet rat and then feed them to their pythons). Any advise on how to give them away would be great, places and things I can do, I've never done this before.

Thank you for any advise.

Pollybug25's pets-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rosie, Snowball, Princess, Boggart, and Taco

Ginger, chihuahua/mix

Brownie, Shihtzu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:33 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Write "Free to good home", check out the house of the person who's interested in the rat(s)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:52 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Do not give them away free.
It's not a question of you needing money, but getting rid of the worst buyers by charging a small amount of money. If people do not want to use the money, the chance is that they will not take the animal to the vet if needed.

As they are social animals, you could charge one amount for a single animal, and make it cheaper if people get 2 or 3 animals together. This will often make people get 2 instead of 1 animal. They you know they have some company, and you have 2 less animals instead of 1.

A good way to get some out is to talk to friends and family, and ask if they want an animal, or if they know someone.
Often you will have a good idea about how these people are with animals, and you do not have to charge them

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Yeah, I agree. I'd at least charge more than what 'feeder' rats are going for at the pet stores. 10-15 dollars seems to be the common rate and advertise it as an 'adoption fee'. "Looking for pet only homes, no feeders. Small adoption fee of X is requested to insure they go to a good home." Make sure they're well socialized and then advertise them as such, and including pictures of them will help too. I've seen people not only give special 2 for half type deals to make sure they went in pairs, but also they've advertised them in pairs or threesomes. IE: "Pair offered: Bo and Boo are best friends and get along great! These two superfriendly boys are offered together!"

Places to post: Craiglist, rat fancier type places like here, Brux and Boggle, or Goosemoose, www.petrescue.com, www.petfinders.org

Edit: I just read this the other day. It's aimed at cats and dogs, but applicable to rats: http://www.petrescue.com/petlibrary/...agedy-of-free/

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 01-25-2010 at 07:18 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

How many did you end up with?

If I were you I'd also sell them about 10$, because someone willing to pay that will most probably not feed it to their snake.
I would advertise them now as babies, so you know that the people who commit to one now and still want it in a month are pretty serious about, also it's unlikely someone who wants a rat for their snake will buy it a month and a half in advance, I think!
but be extra careful. and try to get them to be sold in pairs so they're not lonely! and sex them correctly
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:41 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I charege 10 for 2 same sex pares. 7 for a singel if they already have one and want a same sex cage mate for them. this detters people who are looking for food. I also have a contract and a sreen them or interview them before hand.
If they have never owned them I give them a simple care sheet and lots of websites about them and my vets info. the adoption fee I get goes back to there food and beding and any care they may need. Im a breeder and my fees are nothing compared to what I get back is adoptions. its just a little that helps me. and maybe by putting a price on them you will inshure them a good home but may beable to buy the rats you keep something with it or use it to save up some money in a hide away incase you have to take them to the vet.
Also there are some tricky people who may ask you if you have breeding pares or want them for breeding ask them what kind but you can adverise PETS only not for food or breeding. there are some that will pay enought moeny to just to get them to use them for breeding or food. If they already have rats then ask them if they are male or female. If they say they have females and want males ask them why, be blunt and right out truth full with them. Even if that means the babies are with you for 2 or 3 months before some one serouse comes along then at lest they are safe with you and the right one will come along.
Although I dont know any one that is a rat love that would not love another rat exspecially babies and will look around for more rats to love and own beucase rats are like potato chips you cant have just one.
I wish you luck and I hope they find wonderful homes

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond01 View Post
Also there are some tricky people who may ask you if you have breeding pares or want them for breeding ask them what kind but you can adverise PETS only not for food or breeding.
As Diamond said. But I will add, anyone who asks you those kinds of questions is a red flag. Reputable breeders would never be asking an 'oops' situation like you have. They will only be getting their stock from other already established breeders.

Non-reputable breeders and ignorant people who don't have the best interest of the animal in mind will be the kinds of people who will ask these questions. Consider that they are doing you a favor with those questions by weeding themselves out of your potential home list, and don't let them have any of your animals.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

exsacly as story put it, If they ask if you have breeders, so no pets only. Breeders will advertize they have lines or DOB info and parent info. to let you know that are from a rattery.
rember there is no dumb question and there is never to many questions when interviewing some one who wants a pet of any kind. you could also if they live close enought tell them you would like to check out there living inviroment and make a desition as well. Also if they rent becuase i do ask them, if you can have their landlords number or see a copy of the lease up to date of course that says they can have pets and most places will say caged or aquarium pets and they fall under that but also some landlords mean hamsters or mice or gerbils not rats so its always good to make shure their going to a new home were there alowed.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.

Tags
babies, rats