Helpful FYI for Winter and Sneezing Rats! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Helpful FYI for Winter and Sneezing Rats!

Hello all!

Just thought I would share something that might be helpful for anyone who has a currently sneezy rat with no other apparent symptoms, as is the case with me. I got a great tip from my small animal vet when she called me back after I left a message with her clinic about one of my ratties:

One of my two boy rats, Wolfgang, has been sneezing much more than normal over the past several days, but he has no other symptoms, and he is active, eating, playing, no wet nose/eyes, etc. so I suspected it could be an allergen problem.

I double checked things that might be making him sneeze, such as perfume, soap, litter, all those things. Then I read on a post how during the winter, especially for those of us that live in cold climates (it is freezing cold here in Washington!) that when people start using their heaters in the winter, there can be a lot of dry air in the room and this can irritate a rattie's nose.

I read that by just putting out some jars or a bowl of water in front of your heat blower, it can help humidify the air and can ease up your rattie's sneezing. Over the past couple of days I have been doing this, and Wolfgang's sneezing is going down. Improved!

My vet confirmed this, and agreed that the water bowl in front of the heater can help a lot and also that there can be some nasty junk in the vents that blows out into the air and can cause rattie nose irriation, so a cleaning and vaccuming of the blower vent can also help. She also advised me on a safe dose of liquid children's Benadryl that I can safely give Wolfgang twice a day over a week's time and that should also help his allergy problem. Just thought I would share the info in case it helps anyone!

Cheers,
Vlad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Or, if your pets are in your bedroom with you, buy a humidifier. That benefits you, and your pets as well.

Awesome post!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, a humidifier would be super! Agreed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I bought a Vick's Cool Mist Humidifier, and I don't spend a winter season without it. I even have it running when I have a headcold, and it makes breathing(and therefore, sleep!) a ton easier,
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh yeah, I am sure that would be great for both people and ratties, for sure. One article I did read on humidifiers and rats did say that a humidifier should be at least 4 to 5 feet away from the cage and not TOO close. I can't remember what the specific safety reason/concern was, but I will remember the rule!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

OOOOH!! Great idea!! I was thinking that maybe my rats were sneezing more than normal so I will have to use these tips, thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yay, I am so glad the post helped!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
Oh yeah, I am sure that would be great for both people and ratties, for sure. One article I did read on humidifiers and rats did say that a humidifier should be at least 4 to 5 feet away from the cage and not TOO close. I can't remember what the specific safety reason/concern was, but I will remember the rule!
I imagine that was directed towards a Vaporizer(or Vamporizer, as I originally typed... because the steam is so hot, that would be dangerous for pets,

I use a Cool Mist Humidifier not only for the reason that it doesn't risk burns on the cats in the bedroom, but also so that our bedroom doesn't get all "muggy" like they sometimes do with Vaporizers(Augh! Once again! Typed Vamporizer!!! *smacks self*). Plus it's real easy to maintain. I love it.