Here for the rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Here for the rats

well i joined for my rats, here to learn more. would post pics but gotta hit the 20 post count before I can do that ugh lol

I have 1 hairless, 1 dumbo, and 1 patchwork/rex and 6 babies right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awww,would love to hear more about your ratties!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

well what do ya want to know lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww they sound cute welcome to the forum are they male or female are they spayed or neutured? how old are they cant wait to see pictures of them

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

no one is spayed or nuetered.

dumbo and hairless are males, and patchwork/rex is a female.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Are you keeping the males and females together? If they are not neutered or spayed, you will have tons of babies before long. Or are you keeping them separate to avoid pregnancies? Welcome to the forum by the way.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have one male is seperated because he doesnt get along with other males. But my other 2 are not seperated that is why i have babies now lol.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

you should seprate the male from the female, it is not good for her to have back to back pregnancies, also females benefit from spays and neutures help agressive males

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, if you keep a male and female together they will just be constantly reproducing babies. You have to separate them as soon as possible.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 AM
RAT ADDICT

You don't have to spay/neuter rats.I never did and never had problems and I have had rats for many years now.

But I do believe you should keep males and females separate. If you don't want to,then I do suggest getting the male neutered (it is easier then spaying the female).Back to back pregnancies are no good and if she had babies and the male was in with her,she is most likely pregnant again,as females go into heat again 12-24 hours after giving birth.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
You don't have to spay/neuter rats.I never did and never had problems and I have had rats for many years now.

But I do believe you should keep males and females separate. If you don't want to,then I do suggest getting the male neutered (it is easier then spaying the female).Back to back pregnancies are no good and if she had babies and the male was in with her,she is most likely pregnant again,as females go into heat again 12-24 hours after giving birth.
i love your answer just question isnt it better to spay females because it reduces riskes of tumours or uri, i think i read it somewhere im not sure, i dont own rats can u tell me?

By Anonymous
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
i love your answer just question isnt it better to spay females because it reduces riskes of tumours or uri, i think i read it somewhere im not sure, i dont own rats can u tell me?
Well yes,spaying is better to prevent tumors in females. I just meant that a neuter is easier to do (in any animal) then a spay. If you want to get the female spayed instead,go for it (that is for anyone). I don't fix any of my rats,but IF I did I would have the males neutered because it is generally an easier surgery.

Neutering in males can prevent aggression too. I don't have any aggressive rats though and I also rarely have problems with tumors in my females either.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Playful Pup

Awww darn I wish I knew that it helps tumors in females as when Star had her lump on her stomach removed i would have told them to do that while in there
and Welcome to site I am new here too =)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Spaying will only help with mammary tumours and pituitary tumours not the malignant masses. But it is very much worth it...my spayed girls generally live a lot longer if their genetics allow it My oldest girl was 41 months old when I had her pts.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
Spaying will only help with mammary tumours and pituitary tumours not the malignant masses. But it is very much worth it...my spayed girls generally live a lot longer if their genetics allow it My oldest girl was 41 months old when I had her pts.

Wow, that is really an amazing age!! I didn't realize that spaying could make so much of a difference. Good to know!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)