Heres my new mice! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Talking Heres my new mice!

I posted a thread yesterday about me getting new mice, and today, I have them... I got them from a pet shop, was surprised to find out that im about 90% sure that they were sexed correctly, if anything changes in the next couple of months I will have it double checked by a vet.

Im also surprised that my mice are friendly, they immediately went to investigate the cage and are keen to jump onto my hand when i hold it into the cage...

however, I was alarmed when the worker at the pet shop picked the mice up by their tails, like, near the middle, after she got the first mouse out i had to stop her and ask her to take some care, she was just letting them drop to the bottom of the box as well its so sad, how can people work with animals and then handle them like that... Ive never held a mouse before, their so light and tiny and delicate... how can anyone not be incredibly careful with them...

I will definately upload a ton of photos when i get to my 20 post mark!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Adolescent Pup

Congratulations! Have you named them?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You are right about people in pet shops. I am sure there are some nice people who work in pet shops and who do care about their animals, but definitely not all of them. It is sad.

Picking up an animal by its tail is not cool at all and it not only stresses out the animal but it can cause serious harm. I am glad that you called the pet shop employee on that and told her to take some care. Good for you!

Congratulations on your new mice! Can't wait to see some photos when you have enough posts! They sound wonderful!!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Talking replies

thank you all!!

they dont have names yet! im really stuck! i guess something will just fit when the time is right!

I already have loads of photos! ^_^

Im a little bit worried though, because, one of their furs is looking a little thin and patchy, its only slight and seen when she stretches... you can see her skin underneath, is this normal?

thank you
Laura
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ooh, I am sorry one of your girls has some patchy fur.

I am not sure what that might be a symptom of...hopefully some others on the forum will know. I am such a sorry source of information when it comes to mice! It could be mites? Anyone else want to chime in on this question?

You are right in waiting to name your girls, to see what their personalities are like. Different names will occur to you and when the right name/names come along, you will know it is a perfect fit for each of your girls.

You know, when I named my two boy rats, we thought our dark Berkshire rat was going to be HUGE and we named him Maximus. We named our hooded boy Achilles. We wanted to give them names in the same vein, you know, Roman/Greek myth hero names.

So, guess what? Maximus ended up being the slender, zippy, tiny bodied boy and Achilles is GIGANTIC. A big butterball with a huge body. So, he should have been named Maximus!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ok, so, more developments... i was looking in the pet shop for some supplies the other day, and they had seperated out a 12 week old female, i asked about her and they said that she was getting too old for them too keep, i was worried they'd end up feeding her to the snake they had in the back, as it turned out she had lived in the same tank as the two i have now I bought her, shes a wonderful animal, very easy to handle, she loves lying in my hands and she jumps into them at every oppotunity, shes also helping my other two clean themselves, shes definately the mum of the group, shes a beautiful sandy colour, Im so glad i saved her ^_^ got to be careful though, dont want mouse rescue to become a habit, i so wish i had the space for more

im wondering whether my patchy one just sleeps funny, folding her fur the wrong way... im definately going to keep an eye on her, she seems to be the least dominant of my group, i have a second smaller cage now, if bullying becomes an issue i may have to seperate... :/

their personalities are definately beginning to create names, my tiny white mouse is the most curious little sweetie, with a dominant and firey personality, im thinking sherlock...

My patchy one is so delicate and quiet, snowflake perhaps?

im unsure about my new one,

and ahhhhh! paired names are definately adorable!!!! and your rats name are ironic!!! :3 just so cute!!!! ^_^

Thank you so much for all your advice and guidance! its nice to find someone so passionate about their animals! x
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ah, it is always a pleasure to talk with people who love their babies!

Bless you for taking that 12 week old girl! You definitely saved her life, I am sure. And she already loves you, it sounds like. She is probably grateful to you.

She sounds wonderful and it seems like it was meant to be for you to have her with your other two girls. Coming from the same tank, and she is showing a motherly bond to your two girls, wow, how beautiful is that?? I just can't tell you how awesome it was for you to take her into your home and give her a safe and happy life.

Sherlock and Snowflake sound great! They fit the girls' personalities it sounds like! If those are the two best names for them, the names will stick, or something else might occur to you later. I am sure you will think of a perfect name for your new Mother Hen of the girls that you just adopted. I can't wait to see photos!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Tags
mice, white