Hey everyone...you're gonna love this! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
I Own an Egg Pooper

Hey everyone...you're gonna love this!

I HAVE DECIDED TO GET RATS!!!

Thanks to some help from Veggiegirl and ratsrule.com, I have realized that they are the perfect pet for me! So instead of getting a chinchilla this May, I am going to be getting 2 rats probably this March!!!

The one thing I wanted to question on, is this:
I am purchasing a Martin's R-695. Like below...

What is the difference if I get it black powder coated (which cost about $20 more)? It is already "galvanized" - that is the way it looks in the pic. But should I spend the extra bucks for the "powder"? What do these words mean??? hehe

Thanks!!!

-Tare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congratulations on deciding to get rats, i kept them for years and they do make the best pets and are very rewarding pets

As for the cage its perfect for rats as they love to climb and explore. I basically think the difference in the two cages will be ones got a coating over the steel like a paint to give it some protection which i don't think is worth paying out for as rubs off in no time in my experience as i have had cages like that but i'm not over sure and i could be wrong and i'm sure someone else will have a better idea, goodluck with the rats and post some pictures

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Newborn Pup

We have a cage similar to that. It is coated with the black "paint" and your right the more the girls run all over it the more the paint is rubbing off. So in the end its gonna look just like that cage anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

I dont know much about rats, and I know Steph (veggiegirl) is coping well with the lot she has.. I would personally get the unpainted cage, as the paint does wear off eventually. With the $20 you are saving you could buy them some toys? Good luck and keep us informed!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Rats are so cool...my mom won't let me get any but when I move out I hope to have a pair . Congrats and when you get them I can't wait for pics!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Congratulations!!!! So many people getting rats.. 8( I need some! LOL

As for the cage.. I'm not sure what it means either... but I guess that's better without the paint.. if it doesn't rubs off, the ratties will chew it off anyway... so. 8)

Dimaris

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
I Own an Egg Pooper

UPDATE!: On a website I read, it said that the powder was the way to go. (It would end up looking like your cage, Veggiegirl, but black instead of white.)

But if what you guys say is right - that it rubs off, etc. - it's not worth it! So I guess I am still accepting advice and researching for now.

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

In my experience i have found that any cage with a coating doesn't last very long around rodents and with general wear it soon starts to rub off or is helped along by sharp rodent teeth and claws

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Adolescent Pup

spend the extra bucks to get powder coated.. otherwise you'll have to worry about rusting, etc... I have two martin's RUUD cages, both powder coated.. well worth it too. One is 2 years old and I've never had a problem with it being chewed or rubbed off... I can't say the same for other brands of cages though. The powder coating on martin cages is baked on

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
I Own an Egg Pooper

OK. I have heard the same thing from two others with RUUDs. That is why I wanted to clarify. That helps knowing someone with personal experience. The cage I am getting is the next level down from a RUUD (although much smaller in comparison! hehe), from the same company.
Considering the cage is 100 anyway, what's 20 more? If it prevents rusting, I will say its worth it! Thanks everyone!

-Tare

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

OMG you are so sweet. You put me in your siggy?

Congrats on deciding to get your ratties. I'm so glad that you thought I was helpful (although I don't feel like I did all that much ) You are going to love your ratties. I can't wait to hear about them and see pics! The cage looks awesome. I wish I could offer more advice on the powder coating thing but I don't know anything about that. Congrats again!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hey Tare!! I saw ya on RFC, I am soo excited you are getting rats!! I agree with the powder coating it is different than regular paint and does not chip off. The regualar galvanized will soak up the ammonia from the pee and it NEVER comes out LOL!!
If ya don't mind me asking who are you getting your rats from?
CONGRATULATIONS!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
I Own an Egg Pooper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLovesRats
If ya don't mind me asking who are you getting your rats from?
CONGRATULATIONS!!

Actually, its gonna be a while. hehe. The cage won't be ready for about a month or so (backorder problems) and even then I may wait another month just to get all my supplies and such set up AND...at which time I'll be looking for, most likely, a breeder or reputable private pet shop!
So I don't really know right now, since I do have a long way to go. I was actually going to get chinchillas at first, and we were planning that in May, but rats took the place of that plan (after doing much compare and contrast stuff!), so I'll let you guys know as soon as I have worked out!

Thanks for the , everyone!

-Tare

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

Ahh yes.. more of us Rats Rule people? hehee...

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

Dragon they need us!! Tare please go with a rescue or reputable breeder. Even if it's pet shop. I think it would be better to go with a rescue, because you are helping a homeless rattie and not supporting a petshop or a breeder, because you will know he or she is healthy and friendly. OOh another Question girls or boys?

Tags
guinea pig, pet shop, reputable breeder