Hey guys, I'm looking for a young rat as a pet. Anyone willing to give one away? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Talking Hey guys, I'm looking for a young rat as a pet. Anyone willing to give one away?

Hey people! Hi, my name is Shao and I'm looking for a healthy pet rat, preferably very young (under 1 year if possible). I have all the equiptment ready. I can even pick it up. If you have one, contact me. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Hello Earthling

Have you looked at shelters??

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:13 PM
I am allergic to maths

No offence but you cant just ask someone to give you a rat, look in shelters, look for breeders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

A female rat can give birth to a litter of babies every month. There has to be someone who has too many rats and wants to give one away to a good home. And anyway, rats that escaped into the wild regains their wild instincts and are too wild and dangerious for animal shelters.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
I am allergic to maths

What do wild rats have to do with anything?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Try searching for pet rat breeders in your area. (You can do a Google search to start, or visit some of the Rat and Mouse association websites for lists of breeders in various areas.) You could also search craigslist under the "pet" section--every now and then people advertise pet rats, usually for free or a very minimum re-homing payment.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Part of the Pack

shelters mostly have pet rats that either have been seized or people couldn't care for anymore. there are people who run ratteries (or at least take part in rehoming rats) and i know there's someone here who's had some half wild rats that would argue that they can't be rehabilitated.

the first place i would look is shelters because the rats you'll most likely get from a shelter are rats that people couldn't care for anymore, so they'd already be used to people. that's my experience anyway. and plus, rats in shelters deserve good homes too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

No idea why the OP is even mentioning wild rats, but even half-wild rats are barely handleable.

So you are asking for someone to GIVE you a rat? No location, no mention of anything beyond "the equipment" you have?

Have you researched rats as pets? If you have you would know they need to be adopted in a minumum of pairs as they are social colony animals.

What type of care could you give these rats?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
I am allergic to maths

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
No idea why the OP is even mentioning wild rats, but even half-wild rats are barely handleable.

So you are asking for someone to GIVE you a rat? No location, no mention of anything beyond "the equipment" you have?

Have you researched rats as pets? If you have you would know they need to be adopted in a minumum of pairs as they are social colony animals.

What type of care could you give these rats?
Exactly. People want to know if you can care for them properly and so far you havent shown that you know anything about them. Also I was wondering why you said females can give birth to a litter every month, I dont think their is anyone here that would keep a male and female together unless they are a breeder. And there is almost always an adoption fee, no-one would just give you a rat.

Tags
free, give away, rat, rodent