Hi I'm new - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Hi I'm new

Just wanted to say a couple of things. This is my first post and have really enjoyed this forum. I'm also new to having pet rats. I got into it by accident. I used to have a dog and cat, but they passed away and I was without any pet. A cousin of mine has several rats and one of her hairless rats had a new litter and asked me if I wanted one. At first I wasn't very keen on the idea, I mean like many people it was "rats-no way"! Even though I knew they weren't the viscious creatures Hollywood makes them out to be and these were more domesticated. Anyway, I took one back in July and call her Cleo. A month later I felt she might be lonely, so I got her Sabrina. I couldn't be happier! I am surprised at how intelligent they are, not to mention friendly.

Last night I came home from work and Sabrina came up to the cage to greet me, but Cleo did not. I thought there may be something wrong. I opened the cage and found her laying lifeless. Her body was cold and lifeless and thought she had died and I began to get very upset. Then I noticed a paw and ear twitch. I figured she may be close to death or maybe shock. Heck I didn't know. So I took her and layed her in front of a portable electric heater and kept petting her. Even though I was sweating in the house as it was warm, I then put on a heavy coat and tucked her inside. I worried all night, but guess what this morning she is chipper as ever! This got me to thinking, as to how many people assume their little pal is dead, when in fact it just may be sick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Hi Randy and to PT! You must have had a shock last night, thinking that your rat had died, I am glad she is ok? Look forward to seeing pics of Cleo and Sabrina..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

i thought my rat was dead one time. he is beggining to get old! i saw him in the cage, lying on his back, and all four feet where up in the air. i clap my hands and yelled "hey slippery" (thats his name) and he still didnt move. being shocked i walked up by the cages and tapped on the top. he still didnt respone, so i blew on him hard and he jumped up like he had been shot! lol i dont know what was wrong with him, but it scared the daylight out of me. however i scared the daylight out of his cage mates with all the screaming. lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 04:30 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

I had a little mouse named Domino who went through the same thing, and although he has passed since them (from other circumstances) he was fine after a good warming up. I've noticed that sometimes cold rodents just need some good warming to get back into shipshape.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
I just joined about 3 weeks ago!

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Welcome to Paw Talk! Glad to hear you rats ok and look forward to seeing some pictures

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Welcome to PT

That's an awesome story!!! I'm glad that your little buddy is alright. 8) I look forward to seeing some pictures soon. 8) (I think we need a "pictures anonymous" therapy group for the people at PT.. we just can't get enough of them!!!)

Dimaris

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Part of the Pack

Smile

I am glad to hear that your pet is okay. I look forward to seeing pictures of them both. You are going to love PT!!!

"She is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are her life, her love, and her leader.
She will be faithful and true, to the last beat of her little heart.
You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Rogers Caras.

"Somedays you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant."- Unknown.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Adolescent Pup

hello, glad to hear cleo is ok! nice to meet you and cant wait to see some pictures either!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

What type of bedding are you using? Haireless are more diffucult to take care of than regular rats. They need lots of warm bedding and to be kept out of drafts. Still that seems awfully abnormal, You should take her to the vet to get checked out you just never know what could be going on. You should really do your research on hairless, anyway welcome and good luck with your girls!!

Tags
cage mate, hairless rat, hairless rats, pet rats