Hind paralysis - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hind paralysis

Last night I found my boy Shiloh unable to use his hind legs at all. He has been mostly lying about since then, barely eating and dribbling urine fairly constantly. He's going to the vet today, but I am not optimistic that there will be anything they can do for him. Has anyone dealt with a paralyzed rat? I have read about people caring for them, but I work a lot and I'm not sure if that leaves me enough time to give him the care he needs. I wanted to check here for experiences/opinions, but I feel like this may be the end for the poor boy. Should I consider contacting his rescue and see if they can handle him? Does it make any sense to separate him from his brother to live alone with someone he doesn't know? First I need to hear from the vet about what his condition is and how much time we could expect him to have. My poor little man.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Need more info on this situation;

1) How old is he?
2) Was the paralysis sudden or gradual? Is there a wasting in the hind quarters as well? Maybe a tremor in the muscles?
3) Is the dribbling urine dark or extra smelly? Sometimes the pain from a UTI can cause a type of paralysis in the hind end.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks spaz, he's at the vet now.

1. Don't know exactly how old, I think about 2 and a few months
2. Paralysis was sudden but he's had problems with his hind feet for a very long time. Toes curl under and he walks on his heels. Vet is doing an xray to see if he's got a clot because his legs are very cold and it was sudden. He has definitely deteriorated in the hind quarters over the last few months.
3. Pee is normal

Maureen

Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Update:
Xrays showed nothing wrong with his spine, but his heart is enlarged and his heart sounds are very weak. So he's going on some heart meds to thin his blood and hopefully break up any clots. If he doesn't regain leg function within a few days then he won't regain it at all. It's also possible if it's a clot that he could have another one and die suddenly. I'll be picking him up after work today.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Poor little Shiloh, I wish him healing vibes.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Good luck, Shiloh. Hopefully the meds will help him feel better.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That happened to a hamster of mine. We diagnosed it as him having had a stroke. My dad finally took him out back and ended his misery.... I was much too young then to press going to a vet. So, yeah, :/ Perhaps he had a stroke?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Aw, poor shiloh! I hope the meds help him feel better.
A kiss on the head for him and like lilspaz said, lots of healing vibes!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well, he's at home now. Got some meds and maybe they'll help, maybe not. He gets around pretty well, good thing I've already got him in a one level cage! He just looks so pathetic though. And he hasn't been eating much so I need to work on that. He's definitely glad to be home, but he is NOT happy about his condition. I hope that if he stays like this he is not in pain and can be happy.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

So this morning his feet are a dark red/purple color. He's also been chewing on the tips of his toes and they are a little bloody. I can barely get him to eat anything. I have been forcing a paste I made by mixing mashed up cereals, oxbow pellets (his normal food), and baby food.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Poor Shiloh, I hope both you and he are doing better. Please give him little rattie boo-boo kisses from all of us!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
So this morning his feet are a dark red/purple color. He's also been chewing on the tips of his toes and they are a little bloody. I can barely get him to eat anything. I have been forcing a paste I made by mixing mashed up cereals, oxbow pellets (his normal food), and baby food.
Are his feet hot or cold? Is he on any pain meds?

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

His feet are cold. He is on aspirin (to thin the blood) and Lasix and another one to protect his stomach from the aspirin.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

An injury where there is a lot of blood flow will be hot, but cold is not a good sign

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

He's gone. I just got home from work and he's passed away. Phineas was still sleeping next to him.

Thanks everybody for your kind words, and thanks spaz for your help.

Maureen

Six new rats

Tags
paralysis, rat