Hints on introducing new adult males? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hints on introducing new adult males?

I've just recently adopted a rescue male rat who is about 1 year old but the boys that I have now and him are going to go at it, I can already sense the tention, what should I do? :o

I've read all about cleaning the cage really well to get rid of scents, putting the newcomer's cage next to the current residence's cage so they can get used to each other, re-arranging the cage before putting them all back in, introducing them for a while a day in a place like the bathtub or the bed, scenting them with something, giving them all baths, etc., but does anyone else have any information for me? Any hints that really helped them introduce new rats to old and very territorial ones?

Any info is really appreciated! We're having a hard time right now and I really wanted this rat, I went through a lot to get him and I'm disappointed to think they all might not get along, I'd really like to do anything that I can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 07:55 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

Sounds like you already have a lot of great things you are doing! I've found that the best thing to do is to introduce them freely on a neutral ground (ie, neither of their cages)...and a bathtub or bed would be perfect!

Now all I can say is GOOD LUCK! and keep us posted!

-Tare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well Jesse moved in with the boys today and they are doing great so far! He's sleeping on a different level then they are but they've been together for about 30 minutes now with no problems at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

I was just wondering how long you quarantined Jesse? How long ago did you bring him in the house? I hope things go well but I would not leave them unsupervised for a while. I sware sometimes they wait untill you leave the room before they fight! Good Luck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLoveRats
I was just wondering how long you quarantined Jesse? How long ago did you bring him in the house? I hope things go well but I would not leave them unsupervised for a while. I sware sometimes they wait untill you leave the room before they fight! Good Luck
Jesse was quarantined at the breeders house for two weeks I'm pretty sure. I got him on Sunday and he moved into the boys' cage today. I have the cage sitting in here with me now just in case they decide to go at it, but so far they are sleeping!

Tags
male rat