Homemade rat food? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Homemade rat food?

We have 2 male rats that are approx. 5 months old. I would really like to make a homemade rat diet mix for them out of all organic ingredients. However, when I look online, there are a million different recipes.

Anyone have a tried and true recipe that meets all the dietary goals for rats?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I only just started making a homemade mouse/rat mix for fun. Mice can eat unsweetened cereals(I stay away from rice krispies as apparently they use BHT(toxic preservative) to preserve their cereal, I use Post's "Grape Nuts"(made from oats and barley), mice can have rolled oats, and a small amount of lentils(real good for them and contains a LOT of protein and fiber - which they don't need too terribly much of unlike hamsters), I also use bird seed(contains white millet[I'm going to have to find something else - I just found out white millet is too fatty, and they should eat yellow millet instead!], milo, cracked corn[which I limit] and a minimal amount of sunflower seeds), and I also throw in either the dog or cat's Iams kibble to the mix. They also can eat stale bread, spray millet, unsalted and unseasoned nuts[peanuts should be limited, like corn, due to the aflatoxins], and a minimal amount of fruit(no citrus) and veggies.

Since rats and mice have pretty much the same diet, I'd imagine you could do something like that - but rats may need more cat/dog kibble in their mix.

This link should help you: http://www.rmca.org/Resources/faqs.htm#TOC

This one, too: http://www.fancymice.info/feeding2.htm

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 09-29-2009 at 04:30 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

i think millet isn't good for rats? i thought they couldn't digest it... maybe i'm mixing it up with another seed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Millet, Milo, or Maize. You could be thinking of Maize, for instance, "maize" is the french word for corn, I believe, and corn in and of itself is bad for critters. Milo is....also known as "sorghum", while I see a lot of in dog and cat dry foods, apparently it looks a lot like a corn plant.

Millet, apparently, doesn't contain gluten, and it's a really healthy whole grain. So I dunno which one you might be thinking of :/
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

corn in french is maïs (ma-eece) I'm french
I know corn isn't good, but i remember there's something often found in pet store food they can't digest very well... hmm I need to remember!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

oh wait... i think it's alfalfa! I'm all mixed up sorry!
I feed suebee's diet, and my ratty seems to be doing very well!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

lol Alfalfa doesn't even start with an M, lol xD
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I second the recommendation of Suebee's diet . If you Google that you should get plenty of info. I fed a variant of it to my African spiny mice and know many people who feed it to their rats.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I do the Shunamite diet, which is originally a British rat diet, but it's easy to make in the States, too. Here's a link to the basic principles of the Shunamite diet:

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/informat...ject=shunamite

For my own version, here's a list of what I use for each category:

40% base food: Harlan Teklad blocks
10% dog kibble: Wysong Synorgon dried dog food (You want a kibble that has the meat listed first in its ingredients--this is actually somewhat difficult to find in most normal dog food brands.)
10% uncooked pasta: tricolor spiral pasta
40% breakfast cereals: Currently, I use a mix of puffed wheat, puffed rice, plain shredded wheat, cornflakes and Quaker rolled oats

The great thing about Shunamite is its adaptability--you can alter the ingredients depending on what kind of results you want. (For instance, for adult rats you might want to decrease the amount of dog kibble slightly; for overweight rats, slightly decrease the pasta; etc.) You can also change the types of cereal you'd like to use every so often to give them some variety.

I started out with my boys on a mix of Reggie Rat (which they had been used to before I got them) and Oxbow Regal Rat (which they hated). Ever since I've switched them to Shunamite, they LOVE their food and can't wait to get a fresh bowl of it in the morning! Their fur is also in much better shape, and overall they just seem more energetic and happy!

Though it is a bit pricey at first, in the end you'll save money. I mix up a batch of this big enough to fill a large rubbermaid food container, which lasts more than a month for my two boys, and I still have much more than half of almost all of the ingredients left over!!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

ok here is what I feed mine
small world hamster/gerbli
wild harvest hamster gerbile
premuim rat mouse
premuim ferrt
premuim rat mouse blocks
cat/dog food
wild bird seed with or with out corn depends which is on sale cheeper
Cornflakes treat mix
bran flakes or rasin bran
rabit food
all this is mixed to make a 50 pound bag of rat food only. I also put in the cubes both food and treat. This all with the ingediants and added up as how much protin, fiber, fat, and all exquils out to everything my rats need. For breeding and when they have babies they get their mix plus other stuff like puppy chow, eggs, extra chicken beef boiled. and other stuff before breeding the male and femael and while she is nurising and little after nursing when her and the baies can officaly go with the other females. I have kept my rats on this for years of owning them. also they get pasta noodles. Its sorta a mix of suebees and my own. the rabit food is only for the fillers of what the other mix equiled out dose not have enough of. My breeder friend helped me out with the mix and adding it up to get all the right amount that I would need to feed all my rats that i have as in the right amount not in enough food but as in the number sence the quality I hope you understand that or what i am trying to say. PLus they get freahs fruits and vegies.
Diamond
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I feed my ratties a variation of SueBee's omitting the black sunflower seeds, since I have one rat who has a food sensativity to seeds (too many, and she looses her hair, even though they make her itch, she loves them!) I also put Harlan blocks in with my food, which if just fed to my spoiled little brats will put next to the door of their cage, so that they all fall out when you open it, but with the mix they eat them.
For the dog food, I use Blue Buffalo (I order online since I no longer live near any large chain stores that carry it)

I also make a no-sugar "cookie" from Zupreem cockateil fruit pellets, eggs, and oats, as treats, along with fruit and veggies. And even though I know people food is a no-no, whatever the baby doesn't eat....well...they do....

I've also started getting the Soy Joy fruit bars to cut up as treats, but not really certain how the sugar is, so not using it often, once every other week.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

if you don't give suebee's, I think that the roasted soy beans make a GREAT treat, because they taste good to humans too, so you can have a treat at the same time as your rat haha
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My daughter LOVES "nuts" so when we get the soy nuts for the ratties, we get her some too! ood point though, they are tasty...and crunchy!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
corn in french is maïs (ma-eece) I'm french
I know corn isn't good, but i remember there's something often found in pet store food they can't digest very well... hmm I need to remember!!
I had told you this before
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:52 AM

No that is Mais with a two dots over the "i," and I'm not sure how to make them on the computer. Maize is a native american word for corn.

Edit: As Dustette said earlier, and has just beaten me to saying.

Last edited by Little Shelby; 10-06-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Content stated in post before.