Hope Really Needs Your Healing Vibes... :/She hasn't arrived just yet. She was a kij - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Hope Really Needs Your Healing Vibes... :/

She was a kijiji ad that set my rescuing "spidey" senses tingling. The first pic looked like a bright eyed lean little rat...the 2nd you saw how tucked up her abdomen was and the horror of her coat. She was supposedly 2 years old and originally owned by someone's brother. Brother got bored. old rat goes up on kijiji.

We had a lot of false starts and almost pickups, but the rat formerly known as Rascal (they didn't know if it was a boy or girl) with a lot of persistence from my friend who drove hours to get her (after they cancelled on Monday and then stopped communicating with us) and found out they were contemplating keeping her because she loved their dog! When my wonderful friend first picked her up she called to let me know. And I told her she needed a new name...for a whole new life. Then 10 mins after I hung up the phone, I thought of the name Hope (I had never had a Hope, just a Faith...wonderful Faith who fought a similar but different battle and lost). When she called me back 3 hours later (I was up north at my mom's for my birthday) she told me they had thought of a name for her but weren't sure I would like it. So I mentioned that I was thinking of Hope for her, and THAT was the exact name they were discussing!!!

Little Hope is scary, scary skinny, she's 190 grams and her build is more like a 300-350 gram girl. Her skin has yellow patches, her fur is greasy and falling out in patches, there are scabs on her belly. She has a funny wound on her tail that might be ringtail, and worst of all she has pneumonia. Yesterday she was uncoordinated, and possibly dehydrated. She also wasn't able to eat on her own, but would try to lick things off of fingers, and then she would give gentle kisses. She was given baytril, doxy and metacam as per my friend's vet.

BUT Little Hope has bright eyes and really seems like she wants to fight and live. I was told I would love her once I met her, and I said I already love her for being a survivor.

Pics after she arrived last night

She does the loveliest head tip when you give her cheek rubs

This morning

She grooms with one paw only. I have been rubbing her itchy ears and gave her a gentle bath to remove some of that crud on her back (creams they had applied to her skin) that was making her fur fall out.

Little Hope doesn't eat much, so I am going to have to hand feed her and get her to lick things off my hands today, she's not drinking much so I gave her some sub-q fluids this morning, and she may have a heart condition so I put her on a diagnostic dosing of enalapril to see if she improves. She's soo scrawny, unkempt and unwell, but she is the sweetest and most loving thing. She thanks you in the nicest way possible.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Guarded by Waffles

Aw bless her heart. Here's hoping the best! Good luck to you both!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Sending her lots of good healing vibes and lots of love, she seems so sweet. Hang in there baby girl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hope,
You are a beautiful and sweet girl and I know you are tough! Sending healing and happy vibes to you to hang in there! You are a lucky girl to have Lilspaz taking care of you and I know you deserve all the best, like all rats do. Stay strong and get fat and keep going! We all love you, little girl!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Good luck, Hope!!! She is so beautiful and sweet...I'll be thinking about you guys.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

LilSpaz you are amazing with rats....I know she will do well <3

*Missy*
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Best of luck with Hope! Poor little girly. I hate that people let their pets get into these situations, but I'm so glad there are dedicated people like you to help them out! You are awesome.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Official Loofah Tester

What a special little girl! We'll be sending much love your way.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Sorry for the delay, we had to upgrade my computer from Windows Vista (blech) to Windows 7, but Vista kept crashing during the final install.

Wee Hope feels a bit more substantial, her breathing looks better, and her eyes, if possible, seem even brighter.

She found Chelle's keys and decided to nest with the strap.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 AM
Guarded by Waffles

YAY. I sure hope Hope keeps doing well! She looks better already!

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww, love the pictures!! That last one looks like Hope is genuinely smiling! I just adored that photo of her! She really looks happy! Big heart thuds going on over here...send our love to Hope!
Go little girl!!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Hope hasn't eaten much overnight and only had 2-3 cc's of Ensure...I have to weigh her but I am worried about how much loss there will be :/

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Spaz, you are an exceptional person, I'm glad that Hope has you now, well, that you've got each other rather.
I hope that she continues to do well!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I will keep praying for her! She looks so much better!

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Official Loofah Tester

What a sweet smile she has. LOL Hang in there little girl!

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.