house mouse rescue - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Question house mouse rescue

i work in a bike shop with a basement and one of my coworkers found three mice, that were dead or near death, on the floor downstairs. one (looked like an adult) was definitely a goner, but the other two (looked like juvies) were barely clinging on. i stuck the two of em in a box with a towel, water, and some bread and they pretty much came back to life. well, one escaped and the other i have in one of those small clear plastic cages from the pet store. i have a little cap of water for it and feed it bread and it seems to be doing good, if a little bored.

i just want to know if it's a good idea to keep a wild house mouse. if not, will it survive if i let it out in the yard? don't really want it to run around in the house with two cats. thoughts welcome. thanks.

btw, i named em Pacho and Lefty. so i guess Lefty split for Ohio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Will It Ever Change?

hi! congrats on saving them! you should release them in a field or something. if you do it near the store they'll get back in. i dont recommend keeping them because they can carry diseases that domestic mice dont.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
hi! congrats on saving them! you should release them in a field or something. if you do it near the store they'll get back in. i dont recommend keeping them because they can carry diseases that domestic mice dont.
i see. thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Will It Ever Change?

you're welcome!! thanks for saving them

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 12:22 AM

Ya and besides I think he will be alot happier back in the wild. My dad found a wild rat and released it in a field near a milk and cheese farm and it was really messy and it looked like rat heaven. lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 03:07 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you maybe should give it mice food from the store and let it out once it looks good and strong

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

You should let it go now so it doesn't get used to being fed. Once it's used to being fed it might not survive on it's own. Wild mice don't make very good pets because they never become full domesticated aka TAME. Also they're hard to contain because they still have the "wild" streak and they will most likely find a way out of their enclosure.

*Missy*
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

how old is it? let it go now if it is big enough to get around well, i was thinking it was very very young

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.