How did you name your rats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

How did you name your rats?

I just have the 3 now.I am not going to go through all my past rats,that could take awhile!

Rascal - his name was "Yuki" when I got him.It is a Japanese name.I have no idea what it means and since I wasn't/am not a fan of the Japan culture,I decided to change it.He was (and still is) a little Rascal and so the name stuck.It seemed very appropriate for him.

Kahlua - I name him after the alcohol.When I got him he was the color of a "White Russian" made with vodka,milk and Kahlua and I wanted one badly the time I got him,so I ended up naming him Kahlua!

Sugar Bear - He was named after a character in the movie "Big Money Hustlas.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I dont really know how i named my rats lol i just seem to look at them and the name pops into my head!

Pica got her name because i saw it written somewhere lol
Tessie was gonna be Tess but i thought i would go the whole hog and just call her Tessie lol
Lara got her name coz i named her after a friend of mine!
Oceana got hers because i just LOVE that name lol
Salt n Pepper got theirs from my husband!!!

Scooby was named by my son who has an obsession with scooby doo!
Koby got his name from the internet sort of lol i was gonna call him Kybo but everytime i went to say Kybo, Koby came out lol
Smudge is a himalayan so has a brown smudge on his nose and his bum so that's why he got his lol
Cole got his because he is a fully black berkshire and i didnt wanna call him coal so Cole was the next best thing lol
Eric was already called Eric when i got him so i have just kept it as that,it suits him anyway lol

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Rodentologist

Phedre was named after a book character, because of her "fortune" that was "That which yields is not always weak". Phedre was originally intended for snake food, but injured the snake and escaped the enclosure.

Cecilie was named to continue in that theme, and is another character from the book. Very misnamed, as the book Cecilie is very demure and motherly, and rat Cecilie is a complete goofy klutzball.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Part of the Pack

kim was a rescue, so i kept her name
when i first saw my babies, belle just popped into my head for belle.
i don't know why i called beauty beauty, it's a bit of an awkward name, but it's stuck. and i was waiting to get a visit from my friend in prison so he could name sweetness, so we called her sweetness as a thing to call her, but avoid using an actual name, but it just stuck.

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Uhh, well, my rats all got there name for a certain reason, but the stories arn't that interesting...
Pepper got his name because he is black and it's the first thing that came to my mind.
Rayray -Rayray was originally going to be called just 'Ray' after my grandad. My Grandad is a plumber and Rayray loves to stay in his tubes which are like pipes and he had trouble holding his water works back when he was younger. Also, Ray ended up being Rayray because when we called him we always ended up sayinf it twice and I think it sounds kina cute so it just stuck.
Husky - Husky got his name the minute we saw him. I was in the store with my dad and looking at the rats, you know, just teasing myself. As soon as I saw Husky and his beautiful colours, I had to take him home! My dad said to me, that he thought Husky looked like a Husky and I said ''hey yeah, I'm thinking the same thing!'' And that was it, his name was stuck as Husky!
Arthur - Arthur got his name because of my mum. She has this thing that she likes to call things for the first letter of their species and the 'for' put together for some reason.... this is what I mean; I couldn't think of any names for Arthur so I decided to make my mum happy. His name is not really the Arthur you (and I) pronounce it. His name is meant to be more like be R-For, like, R for Rat LOL, I just call him Arthur, it's a lot easier LOL!!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post

Rascal - his name was "Yuki" when I got him.It is a Japanese name.I have no idea what it means and since I wasn't/am not a fan of the Japan culture,I decided to change it.He was (and still is) a little Rascal and so the name stuck.It seemed very appropriate for him.
Yuki means "snow," but it's also the name of a character in an anime who turns into a white rat when he's hugged by a member of the opposite sex. I don't suppose Rascal is a PEW?

My rat Subaru got his name because when I first got him, he was so sweet and fluffy and cute, he reminded me of the character Subaru from the manga X and Tsubasa, who is just the sweetest guy ever. (Now my rat Subaru is more of pooky and lazy than sweet, but he's still nice XD)

Sitka got his name because I'd just watched Brother Bear and thought Sitka was a really awesome name XD; I'm pathetic, I know =P
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

Good idea Vanilla, not going to past rats. I would be here a long time too. Plus it would make me sad.

My Rats - By Age

Guinevere - I love the story and myths abut King Arthur and Merlin. She is obviously a girl so I could not name her any boy name. I decided to go with King Arthur's wife's name. Gwen is a cinnamon pearl, and I just think that her name goes with her color.

Juliet - I loved the name Juliet and the whole story of Romeo and Juliet. So I decided it was time to use the name. Plus Juliet is black and in all the plays and movies, Juliet has dark hair.

Beaker - He is my hairless wonder. He is my first hairless rat and my boyfriend and I just think he looks so weird, cute, but weird. He looks like a science experiment because his skin is sooo stretchy. Almost like he was grown in a test tube, so with that thought, I named him Beaker. Because beakers are lab equipment.

Madeline - Maddy has a brown hood, she is almost a bare back, minus a tiny spot right after her hood. it looks like she is wearing a hat and I thought of the story book and cartoon character Madeline. And that was her name. (Plus I had just seen the News story on Madeleine McCann, the British girl who was kidnapped in Portugal. I thought it was so sad. And her name is close to Maddy's and made Madeline stick even more as her name.)

Raisin - She is a blue hairless girl. When I first got her she was very dark, she is lightening up now. But she was dark, wrinkly, and so tiny, I thought she looked like a little raisin. I kept calling her Raisin with the intention of naming her something else, but it never happened. She is just my little Craisin Raisin.

Mishka - I was supposed to name one of my kittens Mishka, but he turned out to be a boy. The vet, up until he was 10 weeks old, told me he was a she. And to be honest, he really did look like a girl. So yeah... Then I got her and she has a tan mask and I imagine a Mishka with blonde hair, since it is a Russian name, and I decided to call her Mishka.

Spartacus - He is a blue masked boy, his mask trails up his head on the sides of his temples and on his forehead some. It looks like he is wearing some kind of fancy face mask, like one the gladiators would have worn. Plus, my friend bought a rat for his snake and she ended up being pregnant so he let her have the babies. He was one of the babies, the only one who did not bite and run to hide, so I saved him from being fed to the snake, who was named Spartacus.

Morgan - My boyfriend calls her Zorro because she has a black mask. I called her Morgan because I like the name, and the horses. Morgans are dark in color, and her mask was dark, so thus her name became. I also think of the name, Morgana Le Fae. She kind of looks like she might be a fairy with her little dark mask, and the way she always manages to be the first one out of the cage and walking away.

Lotus - I rescued some dumbo girls from a woman who was done breeding. She had four babies from four different litters. I was supposed to get four girls, but she accidentally picked out a boy. I wasn't going to keep him because I genuinely do not like rats with red eyes. However, he is rather cute and extremely sweet. My boyfriend named him Lotus because he likes Dark Lotus, and he is white like the Lotus flower.

Orchid - She is one of the rescued dumbo girls, the only one who will not bite, constantly go to the bathroom on you, and try furiously to get out of your hand. To go with the boy I adopted, I named her Orchid.

In case you are wondering. I have a woman who wants the other two dumbo girls and is willing to work with them. She was looking for dumbos so she is delighted about adopting them. I adopted them on a whim so they would not be sold as snake food. I would keep them and work with them but she really wants them so it all works out. When I know for sure they are pregnant, as all three might be, I will drive an hour both ways to drop them off to her. I have gotten them to the point where they are not scared of voices any more and I can put my hand in the cage to feed them, sometimes the come to smell me sometimes not. I still can not hold the two girls without them frantically throwing themselves back at the cage. They need so much work, thank God they are young. I guess they were never socialized.

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 02:45 PM

I've only had 3 rats, one of them is not with me anymore, but I'm mentioning her anyway...

Uriel - Uriel is one of the 4 archangels, he's the angel of light, fire or sun, however you want to put it... either way, Uriel was a fawn self rat, so I thought that "angel of sun"

Algernon - The name comes from the book called "Flowers For Algernon". In the book Algernon was a laboratory mouse, and since I adopted him from my lab animals class, I think it fits

Aragorn - My sister named this guy... the conversation with her went like something like this:
Me: You are going to be mad with me
Sis: Why?
M: I got another rat
S: And?
M: Another rat... like Algie...
S: And why would I be mad?
M: Cause I got another rat.... that will grow as big as Algie...
S: Name him Aragorn
M: O.K.... *insert weird face*

(For those that don't know, my sister has phobia to rodents, and have never liked my rodents. The only ones that she has liked are a hamster I had named Frank and Algie)
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
Yuki means "snow," but it's also the name of a character in an anime who turns into a white rat when he's hugged by a member of the opposite sex. I don't suppose Rascal is a PEW?
Thanks for letting me know.
But Rascal is actually a black broken hooded.
Hmmm...either the owner wasn't aware of what "Yuki" meant or she just liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APoetCalledAnya View Post

Lotus - I rescued some dumbo girls from a woman who was done breeding. She had four babies from four different litters. I was supposed to get four girls, but she accidentally picked out a boy. I wasn't going to keep him because I genuinely do not like rats with red eyes. However, he is rather cute and extremely sweet. My boyfriend named him Lotus because he likes Dark Lotus, and he is white like the Lotus flower.

WOO! LOVE Dark Lotus!!!! I have a betta named Lotus!

* Lisa *

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot View Post
Algernon - The name comes from the book called "Flowers For Algernon". In the book Algernon was a laboratory mouse, and since I adopted him from my lab animals class, I think it fits

I love that book. It is so sad though. If my boyfriend hadn’t named Lotus, I would have named him Algernon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
WOO! LOVE Dark Lotus!!!! I have a betta named Lotus!

Hahaha. I knew you would comment. I know how much you love them. I like them, but I know I am not as big of a fan as you are. Did you go to the Gathering? My friends went, they go every year, they said it was awesome.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=APoetCalledAnya;526823]
I love that book. It is so sad though. If my boyfriend hadn’t named Lotus, I would have named him Algernon.

I read that book in 10th grade, and I have to say that it was one of the few assigned books that I actually finished. It is sad, but very good book. Algie is even a PEW... lol, pure lab rat.
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by APoetCalledAnya View Post

Hahaha. I knew you would comment. I know how much you love them. I like them, but I know I am not as big of a fan as you are. Did you go to the Gathering? My friends went, they go every year, they said it was awesome.
Hehehe!
Unfortunatly,no I never made the Gathering this yr.A few of my friends did tho.I am going next year for sure!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Playful Pup

Mr Magoo: Hes a Hairless Ruby Eyed Rat, Blind in one Eye, and with Ruby eyes, that didnt help, so i call him Mr Magoo of the character off the movie or the tv Show

Marvin: My Friend said Marvin, and I feel because the rat is such a goof, thats a good goofy name Hes a Silver/Grey Rat
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 10:58 PM

I've got 4 rats at the moment;

Mikiboo (pronounced mee-kee-boo); Her original name was Mitsuki, which means 'Full Moon' in Japanese. When I first saw her she made me think of the song "Blue Moon" being a blue dumbo rat. I had a rat named Suki at the time, and Mitsuki sounds too similar so I ended up calling her Mi-ki. Now she's just Mikiboo.

Archimedes; He's an incredibly smart rat. I was trying to find some sort of mad scientist, scholar, or otherwise really smart name for him. I had a dream about Archimedes before I got him. In my dream he was named 'Rat' and he loved to go through tunnels. The name 'Archimedes' popped into my head and I looked him up. Archimedes has a bridge/tunnel system named after him, so it was decided.

Jack (aka Jack-Jack, Jackaroo); Jack was named after Captain Jack Sparrow. Remember the scene from the pirates movie when Jack is running away from the villagers? That scene popped into my head when I was watching Jack run around.

Louie (aka Gooey Louie, Lover Louie); Louie is a lover. He's the sweetest rat I've ever had. Louie just seems like a squishy name and a cute name for a little boy. When I say little I mean it. He's the smallest rat I've ever had; 6 inches from nose to bum.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 03:26 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooCowing View Post
I've got 4 rats at the moment;

Archimedes; He's an incredibly smart rat. I was trying to find some sort of mad scientist, scholar, or otherwise really smart name for him. I had a dream about Archimedes before I got him. In my dream he was named 'Rat' and he loved to go through tunnels. The name 'Archimedes' popped into my head and I looked him up. Archimedes has a bridge/tunnel system named after him, so it was decided.

Jack (aka Jack-Jack, Jackaroo); Jack was named after Captain Jack Sparrow. Remember the scene from the pirates movie when Jack is running away from the villagers? That scene popped into my head when I was watching Jack run around.
I love the way you named those two, you must have a brilliant imagination!
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Tags
names, rats