How did your rat act when you got him/her? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

How did your rat act when you got him/her?

So, as you may or may not know we (my husband and I) got our first two pet rats. I was just wondering how your rat acted when you got them.

Jack seems to ALWAYS run around, and dosn't sit still. Annie always sleeps and I can't get him out to play with him. && its aggrivating because we can't play with him. Jack always tries to come out of the cage when the door is open. Annie always runs back into his igloo when the door is open. It seems Annie doesn't like to be held either.

Any advice? Maybe its just because we got them just the other day? In the future we want to teach them tricks and just be able to hold them while we watch tv and snuggle.

Britany.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud USMC Wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Mine were exactly the same way when I got them. It's been 13 days (but who's counting? hehehe) and now they always want to come out and play. When I first got them I tried to take them out about four times a day for 10-15 minutes at a time, or as much as they would allow. Wearing an old sweatshirt with a pouch in front can really help a lot, since they have a place to hide if they're scared, but are also getting used to being near you and being handled. Also, spend time near their cage when they're not out so they can get used to your voice and any noises in the room.

Mine are still really rambunctious at seven weeks, but that's because they are babies. They probably won't settle down for a while, but since yours are boys too, don't worry--they should calm down with age.

For now, just try to get them used to you, and used to being handled. You can also start teaching them to recognize their names by calling them, then giving them a treat when they come to you. (I also make a clicking noise when giving them a treat, because I've read that they respond to that better than just saying "Good boy"!) There are also some great videos on youtube on how to train rats.

Anyway, hope this helps--and don't worry about them not being calm and social yet...they'll get better in no time!!!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

How old were yours when you got them? Jack & Annie are both 2 months old.

We call them both by their names and Jack already responds when you call him, he either looks at you or comes to you. Annie just looks at your or moves and goes back to sleep. I don't know what to do about Annie because he sleeps all the time. He rarely comes out to play during the day.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 06:39 PM
RAT ADDICT

You just got them,give them time to settle.

Also they are young.Young rats are very playful and adventurous.Since they are males,they should calm down with age.Males are lap rats usually.But babies love to play and run about,so no need to worry! Sounds like they are normal baby rats!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Is it normal for Annie to be sleeping all day long? He don't want to come out.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Mine were about five weeks old when I got them, so they were (still are) younger than yours, but it shouldn't really make much of a difference. As long as you work with them every day they will get used to it, and with age they'll calm down quite a bit!

If Annie is sleeping a lot, then you might have to take him out a bit more "forcefully". (In other words, show him your hand, talk to him, but if he doesn't want to come out on his own, then gently pick him up and lift him out of the cage.) In time he should be better. (If he seems lethargic, and doesn't play with Jack a lot, then you might want to check for other health symptoms, as this could be a sign that something isn't quite right. Otherwise I wouldn't worry!)

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:17 PM

Rats are usually nocturnal. But in time, they'll change their schedules over to be with you!

My oldest rat, Da Vinci, was kind the whole time I met him. He came with an aggressive male, who gave me my first real rat bite. So it took me a while to learn to trust him - and him, me. But he was the perfect rat to get me to love rattys again. He's the most cuddly, and tolerant rat I have, if not a bit rough with the other boys.

Rembrandt was the more skittish of the three. I had to force-hold him, and get him used to my smell. Now he's a growing boy; he's the rat that gives me the most kisses.

My latest ratty, Jacopo, was so brave! He was slightly skittish, but never seemed to mind me picking him up. He's a bit of a wuss around Da Vinci, who's 3 times his size, but Remmy and him have gotten along wonderfully. He's the only ratty I have that'll crawl right into my hand. He's the most playful also - though he's also the youngest.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
If Annie is sleeping a lot, then you might have to take him out a bit more "forcefully". (In other words, show him your hand, talk to him, but if he doesn't want to come out on his own, then gently pick him up and lift him out of the cage.) In time he should be better. (If he seems lethargic, and doesn't play with Jack a lot, then you might want to check for other health symptoms, as this could be a sign that something isn't quite right. Otherwise I wouldn't worry!)
Yeah, I agree. Since its night-time here and we are watching a movie we have already seen I'm going to take him out and try to get him to get used to me. I hope that in the future he will be my cuddle buddy.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:01 PM

I've had six different rats. Yuki was my first and the sweetest. When I first got her she loved to be out and be on my shoulder. Boru, I don't remember much about. She got along great with Yuki though. Bella was, and still is, a little hyper. Daisy wanted to be the dominant, and at the time, Boru was. They did a lot of boxing. Chrys was the same way with the other rats, but way shy around me. Lastly is Velvet, she is hyper and so adventurous. She loves to climb up my shirt and then up onto my head. I haven't had her for very long.
I only have Bella, Daisy, Chrys, and Velvet now.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Jack & Annie never really seem to want to come out of their cage. Maybe its because they are still in a 'new' place. I only hope with time that they will love to be out of their cage.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradley08 View Post
Jack & Annie never really seem to want to come out of their cage. Maybe its because they are still in a 'new' place. I only hope with time that they will love to be out of their cage.
Maybe try some veggies when they come out or come to the door. They will learn that "Out means treats!" and they will like to be out of the cage.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree...offer tasty treats.
They obviously see the cage as their home and safe place.They are comfortable there.Continue working with them.They will warm up to you.Some rats just take longer.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *