How Important Is It To Keep Rats In Pairs? - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentz
well, of course you are suposed to do what you want in the end, but you are doing what YOU want and not whats best for her.
And if your bf is allergic then you shouldnt have her at all, tanks are VERY bad for rats and thats probly why shes making so much noise, rats dont "sing" unless there is something seriously wrong with there lungs.
rats cannot have "playdates" with other rats. When rats are introduced you have to do it slowly, and they must be QT.
Bottom line, from what im getting from you, you just dont WANT another rat so your going to make her live alone, and your not going to take her to a vet because you think its normal for a rat to make tons of noises, well, its not. your rat is not different than any other rat, understand im not trying to be mean to you at all, but you are not understanding what people are saying to you, either that or you jsut dont care.
I am not doing what I want. You can not see her, you do not see how she acts. She acts just like my first rat. She is fine. She is happy and not showing any signs of even noticing that she is alone.
He is slightly allergic. And it is none of your business. If he is fine with it then why do you care? Why should you even care in the first place? All he does is sneeze on occasion.
Several people on here have their mice and rats in large tanks. They can't be that bad. And I doubt that a wire cage held together by zip tie like things is any better. Do you realize that they can eat those and CHOKE? Also, your cage appears to just be sitting on a piece of brown paper on your rug. There are shaving/paper fluff (I forgot what it is called) all over your floor. "Not to be rude" but I think that is gross. There is basically nothing between your carpet and them going to the bathroom. That's not sanitary. The vet says her string of squeaks (her singing) is fine. He also said that lots of people use glass tanks for rats and he finds it to be better because they can not eat the plastic off the bars. Also, how can ammonia build up when I clean her cage regularly. Before it starts to smell, before it even looks like it needs to be cleaned. I know that a build up of ammonia in tanks can be a problem. Hence why I clean her cage more often that it needs to be.
Rats can have play dates if you introduce them to the other rats slowly. You know, if you introduce them slowly, and they see/touch each other, it doesn't matter if you QTed them or not, they can still get something. My parents rats are healthy, she is healthy. And, I haven't done it yet so calm down.
I did take her to a vet. Her squeaks, mimics, and string of squeaks ARE NORMAL. She is perfectly healthy and fine. The vet agreed with me that she is fine without a friend. He said she is so young that it is not that big of a deal as long as I give her tons of attention. He said that rats can live normal lives without a cage mate. "And, I am not being mean, you just do not seem to understand what I am telling you."

Last edited by APoetCalledAnya; 04-15-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Just a reminder to everyone to please keep it civil. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 10:24 PM

Group hug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Still Waiting

Ok look here, you asked, "What should I do?" and these people are just telling you what they think. There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to criticize other people for telling you what they think you should do whenever YOU were the one who asked. They are just trying to give you advice. So she gets you a little upset/mad (from the way you sounded above from being offensive, I am assuming she got you mad/upset) because of telling you what she thinks...so that gives you the right to criticize her cage and home by saying it is not sanitary? Because you got upset by the advice she gave you? Sorry, I disagree with you completely. I agree with Shelby on this.
If you ask what you should do and want other peoples opinions on this but get upset about what they have to say, then why ask?

I am not trying to start any problems here and I really want to keep this thread clean, but you asked what you should do, you got answers...then got mad. I just don't get it sorry.

Anywho, I can not wait to see pics of your ratty. (assuming...HOPING...there will be some) I am sure she is a sweet little girl.Good luck with her, I hope everything turns out well

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Still Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyman
Group hug?

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i couldnt imagine making my rat (any of them) live alone... i'm sure they would survive and play and be happy to see me but they just wouldnt be the same. they dont like to be seperated, even when they play in my room they go check on each other...

I'm sure i would think my rat was fine if i just had one but i know now that i have had more that they wouldnt have the same life.

[/CENTER]

post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 11:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

My current lone rat,Paco,got a play date with all 6 of my other rats tonight in the bathroom.He been a good boy and didn't start fights...so thats good.This is why is he alone,because he won't accept cagemates and attacks them...he is good during free-range time tho!

What I am saying is playdates are okay,as long as the rats all get along and are healthy.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect
Ok look here, you asked, "What should I do?" and these people are just telling you what they think. There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to criticize other people for telling you what they think you should do whenever YOU were the one who asked. They are just trying to give you advice. So she gets you a little upset/mad (from the way you sounded above from being offensive, I am assuming she got you mad/upset) because of telling you what she thinks...so that gives you the right to criticize her cage and home by saying it is not sanitary? Because you got upset by the advice she gave you? Sorry, I disagree with you completely. I agree with Shelby on this.
If you ask what you should do and want other peoples opinions on this but get upset about what they have to say, then why ask?
I only criticized one person, rodentz. She is constantly criticizing me (on this board and the other one I started). I have heard her opinion and that is enough. She does not need to keep telling me what to do. I think it is ridiculous that she comments on what I write when she does not even read it correctly. (I listed almost all the symptoms for URI and said that my rat does not have them. She then in turn said, "I dont understand, all those things you just described are signs of a URI." So obviously she did not comprehend what I wrote.) And yes, I feel that if she can sit there and criticize everything I say (right down to telling me that because my boyfriend is allergic (slightly might I add) that I should not have gotten my rat. Obviously I asked him and he said it is fine.) then I can give my opinion on what she says and the pictures she posts. I welcome anyone to try and tell me that having your rats go to the bathroom on a surface that is barely separated from their carpet is sanitary. I also welcome anyone to tell me that her rats can not chew off those zip tie like things and choke. (And the only reason why I even commented on her type of cage is because she commented on my type of cage.) She gives advice, I give advice. I am not upset that she gave me advice; I am annoyed that she does not thoroughly read what I write and think that she has the right to tell me what I should be doing. I have taken my rat to the vet, he even said I wasted money because there was nothing wrong with her and she had no signs of anything being wrong with her. I am reading my rat, and just because the books say to keep them in at least pairs does not mean you have to. So, you know what? I won't. Maybe in the future I will get her another rat, but for now, I am content (as is she) with just her. And she and everyone else can think whatever they want. But they do not have to keep telling me everything time I write something. There comes a point when you need to just keep your comments to yourself. Especially if you have already said them several times.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 12:33 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

This thread is turning into a debate so I'm closing it now.

Rhonda

Closed Thread

Tags
cage mate, chicken wire, litter train, litter trained, rat cage, red eyes, social animals, wire cage, wire mesh