How Important Is It To Keep Rats In Pairs? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I have a very small female. I love her very much. I really do not want to have two rats (not to mention my boyfriend does not want another one either). I give her a bunch of attention, I hold her and talk to her all the time. So does my boyfriend. She looks fine, she doesn't look lonely or seem it at all. When she is in her cage she plays happily. I want what's best for her, and if that means getting another rat I will. But I think she is fine. Plus she looks like a runt and I would worry about her getting beat up. What should I do? I'd have to wait until I drive back to my parents to get her a buddy (I'd want to get another color one. They white ones with red eyes freak me out.) which would be a couple weeks.
What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

Get another rat.

Out of curioustiy,why don't you want two rats?

Rats are very social animals and thrive in pairs or groups.They can get lonely and depressed without another rat.No matter how much attention and love you give your ratty,nothing compares to other ratty companionship.And I mentioned in another thread,there will be times when you won't be able to be with your rat...like when you go to bed or go out and those times,she will need another rat to keep her company.

Rats groom eachother,play together,interact with eachother...etc.They are not like hamsters,they NEED other rats.

You mentioned you were afraid that if you get another rat,they won't get along.Well thats why you do slow introductions on neutral ground,like a bed or bath tub.They will most likely get along with time.

Here are some links about rats and being in pairs and whatnot.

National Fancy Rat Society
http://www.rmca.org/Resources/apair.txt
ratsrule.com - rat care primer

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:32 PM
laugh often

Also you'd want to quarantine the new rat for at least three weeks for both rats saftey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:36 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey
Also you'd want to quarantine the new rat for at least three weeks for both rats saftey.
Oh yes! I forgot to mention that!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Out of curioustiy,why don't you want two rats?
I do not have the money right now to buy a bigger cage. I have my old cage from my old rat that fits one rat perfectly. So, either way, I would have to wait until I get a bigger cage.
I have a hard enough time keeping track of her when she is out, I couldn't imagine trying to hold and play with two of them.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Still Waiting

No offence but you should have thought about that before you purchased a rat. And researched about them enough to know they need a friend, then you would not have this problem and probably could have prevented it by waiting until you had enough money for TWO rats. Rats are very social animals, NO MATTER how much attention and play time you give them, you still will not be able to compare to another ratty.

Having two rats is pretty much the same as one, but double the fun, and double the love.

Please, get your rat a friend. Don't make your ratty now be lonely. That would just be sad. Good luck!

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 01:16 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i have 4 rats and they really arent hard to keep track of all 4 when they are out... if you keep them on a bed or table or couch and dont let them find out they dont die when they jump off then they wont ever jump off....

normally they will get along quickly with no problems... just be cause yours is smaller doesnt mean that she wont be the alpha of the group... my smallest is in charge then the next smallest then the biggest then the medium... size doesnt matter with rats...

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect
No offence but you should have thought about that before you purchased a rat.
I did think about it. I thought long and hard about it. I discussed it with my boyfriend and he does not want another one as well. I was down near the store all weekend so I had all weekend to think about it and see how she acts. So far, she acts just like my old one. You know, just because they say that rats are social, does not mean that all rats are social. Just like not all humans are social. She is already proving to be an oddity with her constant chatter, actions, and attitude. You see, I have basically perfected picking out rats with the temperment that I like and want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect
And researched about them enough to know they need a friend, then you would not have this problem and probably could have prevented it by waiting until you had enough money for TWO rats.
I did research them (I have tons of books on them), and it isn't a problem. I was just asking for some personal opinions. I have had them for years. My first rat was fine by herself. She wanted to be by herself. Whenever she would have play dates with my friend's rat she would always hurt her, not just playing, she would try to kill her. So we stopped that quick. She was not social to anyone but me. She constantly attacked other rats and animals (She tried killing my bird several times and bite my dog.). If she was sitting on my shoulder and you went to touch her she would bite you.
Also, I do have enough money for two rats, just not a bigger cage (And if it really came down to it, my boyfriend would lend me the money today if I asked.). (I can not have her in any other cage besides a large tank with a screen cover (Just like many others on here have). My boyfriend is allergic but manages with cages like hers. So right now, paying for college, I can not afford to drop $200 to $300 on a new tank and cover any time soon (meaning within a month). I do have a very large rat cage that would be perfect for several rats, but the problem is the open bars.) Her litter mate (who I was going to get) was small like her and they would be fine in that cage for a long time. Since it is a cage bigger enough for one adult rat. So really, the bigger cage issue would not be an issue for a while and by then I could surely come up with the money. In that sense, I suppose I am just waiting on going back to the store where I bought her and getting her a friend. But I do not go down that way often so she would not be able to get a friend for a while. So it is not about money (How logical everything seems when you've had some sleep.) it comes down to me really not wanting another rat and her acting like my old one. But who knows, if she proves lonely or if I find a cutie, I will get her a friend.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Will It Ever Change?

well, i have my lone timmy rat, and he's rather content right now. i'm always taking to him or handling him throughout the day. i haven't decided if i'll be "replacing mookie" because right now i'm mentally just pooped out. for the moment your rat will be fine, so will mine, might get another, might not, my man hates rats too. so i have the same variables bearing on me. it's something that right now, only time will tell. people can have free roam rats, like litter trained dogs. i'd love to but my man would freak lol. my ratty is as much a human (in treatment) as me and he sucks it all up. i also groom him with a toothbroush while he cleans my teeth, up my nose, in my ears....he know's his name, "come here" "kisses" "tickles" and "hey you" lol and i know he can learn more, he's only 8 weeks old right now!! and honestly timmy is so freaking gentle and sucky, he could have a mouse and never know the diff lol. (relax rodentz i won't) :p

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

I think you should get another rat. Sometimes rats are known to become fatally ill because they are by them selves, how ever much their owner plays with them.

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

Polo, Pepper, Solo, Bullet, Trigger, Bandit and Gem

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
(Chickens) Persephone, Penny, Pandora and Pansy
Giant Afircan land snails
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybreeder
I think you should get another rat. Sometimes rats are known to become fatally ill because they are by them selves, how ever much their owner plays with them.

I will see how she is. So far she is fine and she is acting just like my old rat did when I got her. If that's the case, she won't want a friend. I can always test that by bringing her over my parents' house and letting her have a play date with their rats. But like I said, she is proving to be a little oddity according to all the rats books, articles, etc.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Still Waiting

Well, you DO know your rat best. But if the cage is an issue, you could always buy some type of chicken wire or wire mesh (really cheap at hardware stores) and put it over the cage.
Either way, I hope everything works out for you. Do you have any pics of your ratty? I love cute ratty faces

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

My batteries are charging for my camera. When they are done I will take some. My digital camera eats batteries like nothing. If I didn't have rechargeable ones it'd cost a fortune.
My avatar is of my old rat, Raven. I had to put her down because she had tumors and the vet thought it was the best option. It broke my heart to make that decision, but it was for the best.
I will upload some of her.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Still Waiting

Aw, Raven was a very cute ratty Rip little Raven! You did the right thing

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Part of the Pack

its very selfish to keep a rattie alone, which is why someone mentioned before that you should have waited to get the one you have now. 2 rats really dont take up much more room or resources and once you get another and see them play you will know its worth it.

btw, not to be rude, but you seem to ask a lot of questions and when you dont get the answer you want you just do what you want anyways. You shoulld really take our advice. thats why we are here.
Closed Thread

Tags
cage mate, chicken wire, litter train, litter trained, rat cage, red eyes, social animals, wire cage, wire mesh