How to make my new Rat welcome? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

How to make my new Rat welcome?

I just got a new pet rat about a week ago, I have never had one before but I have had several other pets over the years...

My rat Scabbers is 4 months old (almost 5 months now). We currently have him in a large aquarium until we make him a cage. I just am unsure of what rats normally like...

I have tried giving him a large 12" wheel, but he hates it. I have tried putting him in a large ball (like... ferret sized).. he doesnt like that either. I have given him several chew toys and the only thing he likes is a small letter block that he throws around his cage. He doesnt like any of the home made toys I have tried to give him... He also doesnt like any store bought treats... he just likes to come out and lay down beside me and watch TV for a few hours... Its weird. I want to give him toys and things to play with since he doesnt have a friend right now (other than me and the 5 hours a day he spends with me lol)

Any ideas of good ways to make him enjoy his home more?

(Oh yeah... hes quite large... from tip of the nose to tip of his tail hes a little over 2 feet long.)

Thanks for anyone who helps~!

2 Degus -Bob & Mephisto
2 Hamsters - Sabi & Marshmellow
1 Budgie - Hedwig
5 Cats - Patches, Tiger, Morgan, Bonnie & Grayson
2 Dogs - Rover & Jack
1 Gerbil - Patrick
1 Rat - Scabbers

RIP Baby Runtey my precious baby Degu... I will remember you forever and you will always be in my heart.
RIP - Baby Runtey(Degu Baby), Jack(Budgey), Jill(Budgie), Sanchez(Gerbil), Christine(Cat)I will remember you all for always.

Adopt a pet. Save a life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 10:13 AM
RAT ADDICT

CongRATS on getting a rat! They make wonderful companions.

First off,can you get him a buddy? A same sex buddy.Rats are VERY social and do better...they thrive in the company of other rats.No matter how much attention and love you give them,nothing compares to another rat.Especially for the times you cannot be there.

When are you getting another cage? I personally do not like tanks for rats,because rats love to climb.You can get some awesome cages here! Martin's Cages Inc. - The source for all your pet cage needs.

Male rats are more laid back and lazy then the females,so if he doesn't play,don't take offense.I have 5 male rats and 3 of them have their playful moments,but the other 2 are always lying around.I prefer males,because they will sit and watch TV with you.Females will rather run around and explore.

You can try giving him cardborad boxes,tissues...etc.Or even hand wrestle with him.There are many little games YOU can play with your rats as well.Try pea fishing,most rats LOVE that.

As for the wheel...don't fret,many rats do not care for wheels (including females) and will never use them.Other rats love them.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Lol, I've always wanted a rat that would just sit around with me and chill. Mine are all very active. I'll trade you! J/K! But seriously, if he likes to just sit with you, I wouldn't worry about the toys too much. All ratties have different personalities.

And YES, you should get him a friend! That's the best way to ensure that he doesn't get lonely or bored. Then he'll have someone to snuggle when you're not around. It's not any harder to care for two, and it's so much fun to watch them together.

Maureen

Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

He is probably depressed about being alone. Male rats are lazy...and you shouldnt give them wheels or balls. I dont care in anyone recommends them they are bad news. I was in the pet store a few weeks ago and my boyfriend called me over and said, look at this rats tail!! I looked and moaned. They had a wheel in there and the rats tail is now permanently locked in a weird position...its curled over the back which isnt good.... Sorry for my rant you said you arent giving him the wheel anymore.

Just give him treats and a buddy and let him be a rat. he is a boy and will probably always be lazy.

*Missy*
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have tried all treats that are bought from the store and he turns his nose up at every one of them. I havent tried too many human type treats yet, and I tried the peas but he doesnt like those either... (I think hes really picky. He only loves his food).

I want to get him a friend asap but we need the cage first, I have him in an aquarium now because I got a bit scared when I first got him and my friends brother said that rats climb the side of the cage and will go to the bathroom outside of it! (although I dont think thats true because hes already using his toilet...)

Only thing im worried about is if I get him a buddy and they end up fighting, then he might still be lonely

2 Degus -Bob & Mephisto
2 Hamsters - Sabi & Marshmellow
1 Budgie - Hedwig
5 Cats - Patches, Tiger, Morgan, Bonnie & Grayson
2 Dogs - Rover & Jack
1 Gerbil - Patrick
1 Rat - Scabbers

RIP Baby Runtey my precious baby Degu... I will remember you forever and you will always be in my heart.
RIP - Baby Runtey(Degu Baby), Jack(Budgey), Jill(Budgie), Sanchez(Gerbil), Christine(Cat)I will remember you all for always.

Adopt a pet. Save a life.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 08:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

Boy,you have a rare rat! Haha.I have NEVER had a picky rat ever.Sure some of them dislike certain foods,but I never had a rat turn down treats! Try cheerios.Ratties love them.

Male rats are fairly easy to introduce to others.It does take a little bit of time,but it can be done.Do it on neutral ground at first.Older rats tend to accept younger rats a little more easier then two older rats as well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 07:13 PM

Intros are more scary for us than the rats, I think. I introduced 6 week old Lenny to 6 month old Truman and they're the best of friends. There's hope!

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, male rat, male rats, pet store