Hw to make a baby so the mark stays(sexing) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hw to make a baby so the mark stays(sexing)

Ok so i now have a sure fire way of telling boys from girls in my mice family. the girls now have their boobs in place so i can see them and they boys don't4 girls and one boy. but i have tried using permanent marker to make the boy to make it easier when it is time to separate to pick boys and girls apart and not have any questions. the orblem is is somehow the permantate marker isn't being permanate. it is gone by the next day. does anyone have any ideas of what to do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

The only permanent marker that is not toxic to rats is the infamous Sharpie.

Use black or blue as they work best. Put 2 marks on the tail...one near the base (harder to clean) and one in the middle of the tail.

Use different things like 2 lines to identify one pup from another...or a squiggle or a straight line down the top of the tail.

but there are ways to sex pups even from day 1 of their lives that never change. Plus at 3 weeks the testes of the boys will start dropping

I have a whole pile of PEW's in one cage and since 3 of them are sisters and the other 3 are similar looking I mark them when I am medicating. These marks were put on MONTHS ago And then you can also see why I had to do this.

Wispa

Mallo

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

yep yep thats what I use and do. I have alot that look the same as well both in my breeders and new hommers but they all have diffrent personalitys know and they know their names so I dont really have to mark them. my 2 male Albino Dumbo that are for sale one is more bulky like a male with more a female face the the other is more female in body with a huge male head thats how i can tell them apart.
Most of them have a feature that is just a bit diffrent then the others. one of my pews tails is a shade darker then the other were one is almost pure whirte taile the other is more a yellow cast. But using marker like the sharpie is good. I have used blue, black and the darker pink, using green makes it look blue sometimes and red looks pink. When very little its hard becuase mom cleans them all the time so I mark a dot either behind the ear and try to part the hair a bit on the rump to get the skin becuas it will show threw.
Good luck with your mice. I still have to get pics of my 13 out of 14 up. all albinos except 2 blacks one male one female and 1 female black and tan. 2 moms had them together on the way home from them being rescued form the feeder bins so I'm taking it that the 3 dark ones are the black and tan mommys. Although there could have been an albino in the mix. All of the dark ones are friendly and 2 of the albinos like the bl/tan mommy the others are skidish like my Albino mom.
Did you name them yet?
Diamond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Also this helps if you make one or 2 diffrent marks on them and some one wants one that looks like another and there the same sex to be ablel to tell whos whos.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

no i haven't named them yet i have named one but its name no longer counys cause i found out it was a girl not a boy. thanks for the help guys

Pet's name:
Baby

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

so i tried the tail and it isn't staying i even kept them away from mom for a bid to the sharpie could dry wtf is going on?

Pet's name:
Baby

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

they're little eyes just opened

Pet's name:
Baby

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

and is it normal for them at only 2 weeks to be trying to leave the little hut they are in? after i put them back in when i'm done with them for the day they try and leave the nest

Pet's name:
Baby

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Yes mine are now 3 weeks old but just before eye opening they were crawling around using their little noses. Some are still jumpy which they were not when eyes closed but it i was abel to see for the 1st time then I would be jumpying seeign something big handeling me.
I had one I named Aries becuase I thought it was a boy but turned out to be a girl but it was cute so I keep it. She had a flam like blaze thats how she got it. Flam was just to original.
Wash your hands really good before handeling them to put the marker on it could be oil form your hands. I marked mine yesterday and its faintly their so I have to remark them. I have noticed that when younger I have to mark them more so then when a little older. Their tails are smooth right now, but when a little older their tails get like little hairs and grainer that always seems to hold the marker better. Let us know if it works?
Diamond

These are pic of aries who was once thougth to be a boy. But the name still works for a girl.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Part of the Pack

The tail doesn't work well. I mark inside the ears like with rabbits.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i tried it yesterday and only one of the babies still has a mark any other ideas? it is getting harder to sex them now and i'm having trouble.

Pet's name:
Baby

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

The older they get the easier it should be to sex them, because on the females you can see the nipples (that is the easiest way). Do you have any pictures? I miss having babies, they are so cute

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterose View Post
i tried it yesterday and only one of the babies still has a mark any other ideas? it is getting harder to sex them now and i'm having trouble.
How old are they? The older they get the easier to sex usually
You can try food dye, but that needs to be applied often.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i was telling from the girls nipples but then their fur covered them so now i'm trying the genital method but thats how i miss sexed mom in the first place. they are about 4 weeks old

Pet's name:
Baby

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Hello Earthling

If you have any light colours one you could use food coloring on their fur as Lilspaz suggested.

Tags
babies, marker, sexing