I Actually Taught Lily A Trick - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

I Actually Taught Lily A Trick

I let the girls run around on my bed and I sit at my computer (my chair is right next to my bed). And I taught Lily to jump onto my shoulder from the bed... but Daisy isn't getting it for some reason. I'll keep working with her though.

What other easy tricks are there? Can you teach an old rat new tricks? <lol>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

With Daisy, I need to start out with my shoulder close to the bed and give her a treat wheenver she jumps onto it. Then, I'll just move back a little bit each time. She's starting to get it though, I think.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 03:58 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

YAY, thats great! I'm glad you've taught Lily a trick, I remember I felt great when I taught Arthur his trick, it is very simple, but when friends come round who think rats are nasty it seems to impress them.
I think that you could easily teach them a 'turn' or 'spin' trick, all you have to do is get some treats they really like, make sure they are on the floor/bed, not on your lap because that was really annoying with Arthur, if I called him over he would bounce straight onto my lap, but he got grumpy when I put him on the floor lol
Anyway... hold the treat above their head and lead them around in a circle, whilse saying turn or spin if you prefer. Keep on repeating this, until they get quicker and professional at it lol, but make sure you keep doing the whole turn gesture, leading them round. Once they have that sorted, try holding the treat above their head and just make circle movments with your hand, and say turn or spin at the same time, keep doing this until they get that sorted and I'm sure it won't be long before you don't need to give them any clues and they just do a turn on command
I love that trick, once I have even seen Arthur do it in his free-range time as if he was practicing LOL
BTW: They can get lazy with it and after a while they might start doing half-turns abd expect a treat, try to stop yourself from giving them a treat for doing a half turn because they'll carry on and think it's okay, just ask them to do it again and if need be, lead them round in a whole circle, than give them a treat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 07-20-2008 at 04:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

The turn/spin trick sounds like fun! I will try that one.

I showed my mom how my girls jump onto my shoulder from the bed and she thought it was cute!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well done, hey I'm still impressed if I can get my stubborn little monkeys to come when I call them. (usually I'm calling them away from something interesting that they shouldn't get into!)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i got one rat that i could let out in the whole house, and just call her and she would come running the others didn't care if i was there as much and would only listen in my room and if they thought they would get something good

[/CENTER]