I was bit AGAIN - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I was bit AGAIN

So my little Hannibal Lector is at it again. He likes to bite mommy and that's not such a good thing.

A little background info:

Tweener has always been skittish. He is still sweet and he likes to be pet but not held. He likes to hand wrestle which leads me into my story. He's over 2 years old by the way..

Anyway a few weeks ago I was playing with Tweener. He will kind of hand wrestle, but he doesn't like it rough. He likes to chase your hand but instead of wrestling him he just likes to be pet. Like I said he's very skittish and I think he was a real problem being "attacked". The other week I went to pet him and he just latched on. It was totally my fault, he was in his box (which was on the bed NOT in his cage) and I think he might have been napping, no big deal it was my problem then...LOL

Tonight I was playing with him. He would chase my hand and I would scratch his back, he would run away and come back for more. Well he chased my hand and stopped and just LATCHED on. He gave no warning, just latched and it hurt. REALLY BAD. I have a chunk missing from my finger under my knuckle and a deep gash down the inside of my finger. It wouldn't be so bad I guess but the one on my knuckle keeps popping open and bleeding.

I mean I love him and everything and I didn't lose his trust. I know a lot of people lose trust in animals once they bite...that's just not me. I pet him a few minutes later and he was fine...*sigh*

I just wish I could figure out what's wrong with him and why he did this again. The rats are kind of grumpy because they're in a smaller cage (any cage is small compared to the ferret nation) and in a new room, but they've been in the room for over a month. I'm waiting for my boyfriend to clean out their FN and move it downstairs then they'll be in that. I think his skittishness is just getting a hold of him and he doesn't know if it's a threat or just fun, I don't know.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 01:04 AM

maybe he is just stressed or something...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Maybe he got over excited ?
Both of my boys do this and novo would turn round and grab my finger and let go like a puppy would but when he does it with his brother he nips him and so does toto so maybe hes treating you like part of the pack like another rat ? because my rats are rough with eachother but not with me .. also when he does this try and put him on his back ive been told this helps somtimes or maybe he got scared and his reaction was to CRUNCH! ??
Thats all i can think of.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Sorry forgot to add..
When my boys are sleeping and one wakes eachother up they nip at eachother .. so like i said maybe he's treating you like another rat ?

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:08 AM
RAT ADDICT

Sometimes male rats produce too much testostarone...maybe thats what's up.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sorry you were bit. I know it can be unnerving. Before these two times, has he been bad about it in the past? Maybe he has an injury you're not seeing and something hurts. A lot of times when a non-aggressive rat becomes aggressive it's because of pain. They don't show pain or illness very quickly because as a defense mechanism they prevent attracting predators by hiding an injury. Sometimes in captivity the first sign we have that something hurts is defensive biting.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

He's always been skittish and nippy. I think it's either too much testosterone or he's getting old and grumpy. I hope he doesn't make it a habit because it hurts like ****.

*Missy*
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think it may be too much testosterone..who knows why your little hannibal lector bites...cute nickname btw..maybe thats his way of saying "enough is enough..you re wearing me out woman!"..lol..do you let him know it's wrong? Or do you just pull away?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Yea usually my only reaction is to yell because both times he got me pretty good. His name is Tweener but now I just call him Hannibal...haha

*Missy*