Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

I cant belive it!

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  luvnature 
#1 ·
I apperantly left the male babies in too long with my females, so now I have one pregnant female and one litter born last night. Another one had a litter yesterday morning, but they were all eaten by the afternoon. I thought I could put the males from my three last litters in one cage, so I waited a little longer because the third litter was ten days younger and a little smaller. My dad would kill me if he found out! I cant keep the males from these new litters. I guess I will have to sell them if they even survive. These two remaing litters will be large because these will be second pregnancies for the females, and they will be super inbred.:banghead:

#5 ·
I got a good look at the babies after I got out of school, they all look normal so I'm relived. The other female is still pregnant. I was so worried that the babies would be deformed, I still have to see with the third litter when it arrives. I counted at least 9 in this litter from Helena, the dad is her nephew, whose parents are her brother and sister, and their parents were brother and sister. The third pregnant female is Augusta, and the dad could be her own son. The first litter, which is dead, came from Kathleen, who is 7 months old and it was her first litter.

#7 ·
Yes please seperate. How many mice do you have in one cage? That could be a reason why the one litter didn't survive. If the mom feels threatened she'll kill her babies. If I were you I'd move the pregnant mouse into her own cage, and the nursing mom into her own cage and seperate the girls and boys. Apparently theres a reason why they're eating their babies. If you want them to survive it would probably be best to leave the pregnant mom by herself for awhile.

#8 ·
pinkie1205 said:
Yes please seperate. How many mice do you have in one cage? That could be a reason why the one litter didn't survive. If the mom feels threatened she'll kill her babies. If I were you I'd move the pregnant mouse into her own cage, and the nursing mom into her own cage and seperate the girls and boys. Apparently theres a reason why they're eating their babies. If you want them to survive it would probably be best to leave the pregnant mom by herself for awhile.
I already separated the three litters at least two weeks ago, so thats not a problem now. I currently have 15 females (plus the litter born yesterday) in a large cage that I extended when I discovered the pregnancies.

#9 ·
That's good :) Just make sure you mark your calendar from 4 weeks the day they are born so you know when to seperate.

I had an oops litter about 2 months ago. I seperated on time but after a week or two I noticed one of the "females" going after another female. I picked him up and of course it was a male. I'm still paranoid that one of them is pregnant even though they're not getting any fatter.

I know how it feels to be overwhelmed. My brother let his mice reproduce and reproduce until they started killing each other. I got so sick of it I took them ALL to the petstore which really isn't like me. There was one lose in the house that I caught, and he'll probably stay here with me. It's so easy to make accidents when it comes to mice, they can be hard to sex sometimes.

Good Luck :)

#10 ·
just because they are inbreed doesnt mean they will be deformed...they may have genetic weakness, bc they is not much diversity to adapt..but you re not gonna get mice with no legs, two headed mice...ect

i must say 15 mice already and now the three litters....how are you going to house all of them?

#11 ·
Skratikans said:
just because they are inbreed doesnt mean they will be deformed...they may have genetic weakness, bc they is not much diversity to adapt..but you re not gonna get mice with no legs, two headed mice...ect

i must say 15 mice already and now the three litters....how are you going to house all of them?
I was planning on keeping as many females as I can and selling the males, unless I can get a larger cage for the males I have now. I thought they might be deformed because someone told me about an inbred litter they had that was born without eyes(I think it was vanillarat), and it was only inbred one generation. It made me a little nervous, because this litter is three generations inbred.

#12 ·
The one born without eyes was most likely just a birth defect. You're not going to get mice that are born without things...

My brothers mice that were ALL inbred didn't really look any different. All I did notice was how their faces looked. They looked kind of different around the eyes when you compared them to the original two mice. And most of them didn't get very big. They were only half the size of my mice. That was probably the way they were kept and their health. I wouldn't worry about the inbreeding. I would focus more on trying to house them or doing whatever you're going to do.

#14 ·
Most mice at petstores are inbreed. well some of them becuase somtimes they dont always ketch that there is a different gender in with the others..some can be sneaky and at times difficult to tell..Often times I got the petstore and im looking at the mice and i see a male I point it out and they put him back where he belongs. it happens.. But good luck with you're baby's!

#15 ·
Theres only 13 babies from both litters! I think I can keep them depending on how many males there are, and as long as my dad dosent find out. He said if I breed them again I have to get rid of them all. I didnt breed them on purpose this time, but hopefully he wont find out, since he dosent pay attention to my animals anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.