I caught 2 baby possums!!! Need help from experts. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

I caught 2 baby possums!!! Need help from experts.

I saved two baby possums from cats. There was no mom anywhere. so, what should I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 01:32 AM

hmm.. do you want to take care of them?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 08:47 PM

Possums, unfortunately, are not mice or rats, or rodents at all. They're marsupials. So I'm not sure how much help we can be... unless someone here has done possum rescues before.

I'd suggest calling a local wildlife rehabilitation center and see if they'll take in a couple of stray baby possums. The local Humane Society, ASPCA, or your state's Fish and Game might be able to give you a phone number if you can't find it in a phone book. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Curmudgeon

You don't say how big they are.

It's not uncommon for young opossums to look like babies, yet be on their own. It's also possible that she was nearby, and you took them from her. This happens with baby birds as well as mammals. Just because you can't see a parent doesn't mean they aren't there, or that they need your help. Nature has been doing this for eons, ...Trust Nature!

If they are longer than seven inches, have fur and they seem alert, they are fine on their own, put them back where you found them. Otherwise, like the other poster said, contact your local Fish and Game and get a list of local rehabbers. Get the animals to one of them, ASAP. The longer you have them, the less likely they are to survive. Additionally, in most states it is illegal to possess native wildlife without a permit.

You should always give wildlife the benefit of the doubt. Nine times out of ten, you are the on interfering with them by trying to pick them up or help them. Always leave them alone, come back an hour or two later. If they are still in the same situation, then you can try and intervene.

As a general rule of thumb: Unless the baby is naked and/or the eyes are still closed, your assistance is not required.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Hump!!!

Well well, my opossum clark is what I call her. the other opossum escaped. I raised her and she is a healthy young opossum, no thanks to you guys. she is very tame and probably would not have survived without my help.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annet View Post
Well well, my opossum clark is what I call her. the other opossum escaped. I raised her and she is a healthy young opossum, no thanks to you guys. she is very tame and probably would not have survived without my help.
That's wonderful, any pics?

On a side note: This was very unnecessary "no thanks to you guys" That's quite rude!

If you want to be treated with respect you have to first respect others.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Quote:
no thanks to you guys.
That was very rude!
Dont write on these forums if you dont want help,
People here care about animals a great deal and want whats best for them.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I have kept my mouth shut throughout this but I have to agree, you seem very rude. WE were trying to do what was best for the ANIMAL. You may want to keep them but it's not what is best for you, your other animals, or them.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annet View Post
If she is tame, you failed to raise her properly. She is supposed to be a wild animal, not a pet. A tame possum has a much greater chance of getting killed by someone or something that she SHOULD be afraid of. Hard to see why you'd want to brag on this. Personally, I'd be ashamed that I'd ruined the life of a wild animal.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Curmudgeon

..and BTW, your immature little PM's to me (and others) only seem to make you look more like a snotty little child.

I'm sorry that you feel so wronged that you need to come back and justify your wrong decision to make the opossum a pet, instead of the wild animal it was meant to be.

You brag that you are a hunter, but that's not real hunters behave. It's a poor reflection on you and your family (if they approved of this). You completely misunderstand the term "conservation" if you think Nature is just there to service your needs. That's not conservation, that selfishness.

These aren't toys or targets for your amusement, they are living animals. You should learn to respect them, ...and the people here that tried to help you. Just because the animal survived doesn't mean you were right. The point is to make it a wild animal, not your pet. In that respect you failed. ...and the fact you don't see that you failed, means that you have much to learn.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Guarded by Waffles

Well said Bob!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
Closed Thread

Tags
baby birds, humane society, local humane society