I don't know what to get! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover0987 View Post
i want to add another furry friend(s) to my zoo! ! but i can't decide what to get. I'm thinking maybe a ferret, a rat, or a gerbil. but I'm open to any ideas! i can save up for any cage of any size, so that's not a problem. Any suggestions on what i should get?

I have had many pet cats.. and many pet dogs. I have also had hamsters and fish of all kind... ( side note... our pool out back is a pond now... and we have about 35 gold fish and a red eared slider turtle in it!)But when we got hector the rat a few weeks ago.. the little furry guy stole my heart... he is my favorite pet of all time.. So I would try a pet rat or two.. maybe three if your feeling rattie!!! lol.... good luck in whatever you choose.

All our love...

Jimmie, Tonya, the twins Robin & Whiskers, the girls Nadia & Greyson, and our first Hector the Rat!

Thanks to Zoe, Leo & Jr for stealing our hearts and opening our love for little furry friends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I loved my gerbils. They are endlessly entertaining.

The only downside is that they are accomplished escape artists. I've never had one or heard of one first hand that didn't escape more than once, so keep that in mind when you plan their housing.

Escape story: I had my gerbils in a large glass tank on my desk with a weighted wire mesh lid. I started noticing papers on my desk chewed up each morning. How?

I stayed up and watched them one night. Rat the Gerbil would wedge bedding under his wheel methodically and test the wheel repeatedly between wedging bouts to see if it would still turn.

Once he'd wedged enough to keep the wheel from turning, he climbed the wheel to the top, spiderpiged his way across the roof, and then worked his way to the one corner that was just a little bit off kilter from the other three corners. Then he'd do some freaky cirq d' sole twist with his body, and wedge up the edge by a quarter inch and pour himself out of the tiny gap.

Then because he had better leverage from the outside, would just force the side open to slide back in when he was ready to return.

Beats all I ever saw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wow, great escape story! That was one very clever and smart gerbil! Yep, I love gerbils too (I call them "gerb-gerbs" ha ha)
but yes, Jimmie, if I was pressed to make a personal favorite choice among all the pet choices, it would still have to be rats, hands down. Nothing in the world like them. Not meant at all as a put-down on gerbils of course! Love gerbies...but my two rat boys stole our hearts and souls like nothing else I have ever experienced. Today is one year ago exactly that we lost Klausse and it still feels like it happened just a month or two ago.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i would absolutley love to have a rat, but my sister, mom, and even my dad (he loves all animals and is almost always okay with whatever my sister and i want to get!) dont want one in the house . but as for gerbils, my sis and dad are fine with it, and my mom said most likely! as for the escaping, will they always go back to their cage? or will they wander around when they get out? that gerbil must have been really smart to know how to do that!

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

My German Shepherd Dog, Reba

My Palomino horse, Buiscet

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

WOW StorySeeker... What a funny story.. Too bad you didnt catch that on video!!!

I just read the post from Vladina that the 18th was the one year mark.. I would like to take a moment of cyber silence to remember both your boys..

Too Klausse & Wolfgang.......................................... .................................................
.................................................. .................................................. ....
.................................................. .................................................. ....
We love you boys!!!! :-) :-) :-)

Animallover... I really dont think if you get a pet rat that it will escape and wreak havoc in your dad's house.. your dad said no cause all he know about rats are they live in the attic and chew on the wiring.. I am willing to be he doesnt know how loving a domestic pet rat is! Our pet rat Hector loves us as much as we love him. he meets me at the cage door EVERY morning. So maybe have your dad look at a few of the videos on here .. they truely make great pets!! Again good luck in what ever furry animal you choose!!

All our love...

Jimmie, Tonya, the twins Robin & Whiskers, the girls Nadia & Greyson, and our first Hector the Rat!

Thanks to Zoe, Leo & Jr for stealing our hearts and opening our love for little furry friends.

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thank you SO much Jimmie, that is so sweet of you.

I agree what you said about Animallover's dad...people that don't want to have rats in the house just don't know about them and have no idea what wonderful, clean and loving animals they are. Just the stereotypes that people have when they hear the word "rat" and with zero knowledge about them. It is such a shame too. I have told the story about how my 73 year old mother shuddered when I told her we adopted two boy rats and she could not even go near them due to being freaked out, etc. Then after I told her all about how awesome and loving they are and that they are clean, affectionate and everything else, she started warming up to them, and after a VERY short time, she ended up falling head over heels in love with them. She babysat them for me, came over with presents and treats and always wanted to hold and cuddle them and baby talk to them. She was smitten! If my mom can do that, anyone can!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

well, when my dad was a kid, he would have rats and mice but only for rat food I WOULD NEVER DO THAT. if i got a rat, it would be purley for a pet. but, i've been trying to convince my mom that they are clean, smart, cuddly, and very much like dogs. but she doesnt beleive me.. any ideas on how i could convince her? i would absolutley LOVE to have rats, everyone who has one says their the best small pet you could have! i have 3 rat books, and every time after i read some i'll tell my mom about them. i even wrote my own book on rats! but she doesnt beleive me.. i have warmed her up some though! as for my dad, if i convinced my mom that rats make great pets, then my dad would let me!

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Gosh, there are so many neat videos and articles on how wonderful rats are. I just am wracking my brain trying to think of some off-hand. Let me work on that! Yes, it would be better to have rats if the entire household supports them and are willing to provide a good atmosphere to have rats in. For example, not giving you or the rats the stink eye or making insulting comments, etc. The more people in the house that are willing to help provide a loving and accepting atmosphere, the better. If you can't get your parents to eventually come around to appreciate rats as pets, and there is a lot of stress involved, you might be better off with another type of pet, like gerbils. Better that than to have a hostile atmosphere in the house towards rats. Not fair to the ratties. Just my opinion though! I am going to try to find a couple of those awesome videos that were posted here awhile ago. One was a volunteer rescue worker that had a rat with her and was talking about the reasons rats make such wonderful pets. That was after that hoarding case with that man who had thousands of them in his house, anyone remember that video?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for the advice! and that would be great! i would love to show my mom some videos! thats a great idea

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Video: Why Rats Make Great Pets

Hi again,
I found that video clip I was talking about! It is a rescue volunteer that did a short video, while holding a rat, about why rats make great pets. This was made at a rescue shelter after some volunteer workers confiscated a lot of rats that a man was hoarding in his house. Hope you can access the link below?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-80PxgCxjBY

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Why You Should Have 2 or More Rats-Video

Hi Animallover, I found another great video (and I know Jimmie will love this video too!) of why you should always have at least 2 rats, never a single one. Very sweet video, with music, and your mom can see how precious rats are.

By the way, Jimmie, I did not know if you know this yet, but watch the part with the two rats snuggled up in their hammock...you can see their mouths working, like they are chewing, but it is called "bruxing" and it is when rats grind their teeth when they are very content and happy. Also, one of the two rats is "boggling" with his/her eyes, where the eyes boggle in and out...another sign of a relaxed and content rat. You may see Hector brux or boggle one of these days! Video link is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDy3b...eature=related

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hey Vlad.. Actually i knew about the teeth grinding.. Hector does that a lot... Didnt know about the eye thing tho.. I will have to watch for that. Great videos... We found a video on youtube about a little rat named Luis.. who unfortuantly left this world a few years ago.. She was sooo adorable.. point is.... I found myself tearing up over a little furry animal i have never even met!! HEHE Anyway.. sorry of subject there... :-)

All our love...

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyseeker View Post
I loved my gerbils. They are endlessly entertaining.

The only downside is that they are accomplished escape artists. I've never had one or heard of one first hand that didn't escape more than once, so keep that in mind when you plan their housing.

Escape story: I had my gerbils in a large glass tank on my desk with a weighted wire mesh lid. I started noticing papers on my desk chewed up each morning. How?

I stayed up and watched them one night. Rat the Gerbil would wedge bedding under his wheel methodically and test the wheel repeatedly between wedging bouts to see if it would still turn.

Once he'd wedged enough to keep the wheel from turning, he climbed the wheel to the top, spiderpiged his way across the roof, and then worked his way to the one corner that was just a little bit off kilter from the other three corners. Then he'd do some freaky cirq d' sole twist with his body, and wedge up the edge by a quarter inch and pour himself out of the tiny gap.

Then because he had better leverage from the outside, would just force the side open to slide back in when he was ready to return.

Beats all I ever saw.
This is absolutely hysterical!!! It reminds me of one of my hamsters that I had as a little kid. His name was Bob, and he used to climb his water bottle all the way to the top of the cage until he could sit on top of the bottle and use his head to push the cage top open. Of course, the one time he managed to actually escape during the night, he wasn't smart enough to figure out how to get back in. We searched all over the house for him the next morning until I finally gave up and went sadly into the family room to watch tv. I was just about to sit down on the couch when I heard a chewing noise... I threw the pillows off the couch and lo and behold, there was Bob, eating his way through the back rest!!!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Aww, how cute is that Breyer? Bob the Escape Artist, ha ha.

Jimmie, it is not weird at all that you got sad for a critter on YouTube that you never met. Happens all the time for people who are compassionate about animals.

I actually saw that thumbnail picture of Luis on YouTube when I looked up the other video for Animallover, but I was afraid to watch it because it had a sad face next to the title, which made me think there was something sad about Luis, and I am so overly sensitive about sad animal things that I was too afraid to watch it, lest I start crying or something. See? I am even worse than you.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:29 AM
Adolescent Pup

Aww... Well its ok.. I watched it. It was a memorial for his little buddy who grew to old age and died... Nothing bad happened to him... But it was sad anyway.. I am scared to death when that day come for us and Hector goes.. I want him to live as long as Mr Jingles did in the green mile!!! See that movie? :-) :-) :-)

All our love...

Tags
ferret, gerbil, pets, rat