I don't understand.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

I don't understand..

..how come in all the petstores their mice are living together? The petsmart around me only sells males. When I bought my males they lived together but they fought when I brought them home after about an hour or 2! I just don't get it because I wanted my mice to live together.. did I do something wrong?

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx Angelica<3 View Post
..how come in all the petstores their mice are living together? The petsmart around me only sells males. When I bought my males they lived together but they fought when I brought them home after about an hour or 2! I just don't get it because I wanted my mice to live together.. did I do something wrong?
Were they babies or young mice living together at the petstore? Male mice fight for territory. YOU put them in a new territory and they fought, natural for male mice

Its very rare that males live together their whole life from babyhood on...

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Yes, you didn't do anything wrong to make them act that way. Petsmart did you a disservice by not warning you of this fact. Vanillarat is right, while some young males who grew up together can live their entire lives sharing a cage and not fighting, most often they can't coexist. You will probably need to set up separate lodgings for the boys. It's sad for us to watch them live solitary lives, but unless you want fighting by mixing boys, or want to be hip deep in babies by mixing them in with the girls, they have to be. However, if you play with them daily, they will still be very happy little guys. Once they're tamed, they make the best pocket riders.

If you do want a colony, then get females only.

With one notable exception where one very terretorial female mouse refused to allow me to introduce any new mice to my colony without a bloody fight, my female mice lived together well their entire lives.

In that story, I'd been gradually obtaining new mice to add to my collection for several months until I got a young blaze mouse named Crash and a capped dalmation named Boomy. Once Crash and Boomy were full grown, I'd wanted to add a couple more. I bought a little silver youngster and the only thing I saw the entire first day was the usual minor squabbling to determine pecking order.

I checked on them in the morning and my little silver mouse, Mrs. White, was savaged bloody all over her hind end and perched at the top of a toy ladder, looking stressed and shocky. I seperated her into a small 'hospital' container and treated her for the next week. She pulled through, though she lost all the hair on her bum. I waited until her hair grew back and she was bigger. Then I carefully reentroduced her to the other girls. Again, the only real problem was Crash and Boomy. But, I think Mrs. White had had enough and she went Bruce Lee on them up one end of the cage and down the other. They both retreated to the far corner and Mrs. White had no problems integrating into the colony after that. I always called her "Mrs. White-Pale-and-Tragic" though I think all three of those girls were aptly named.

They all got along after that, but I didn't make any attempt to introduce new mice to the colony after that. I'm sure it could have been done, but I just didn't have it in me to risk another mouse that way.

Best of luck! Post pictures! We'd love to see them

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

you know, i think animals even as tiny as mice understand that the petshop are not the normal conditions.
You know how you need to introduce rats correctly so they get along in their cage, they NEVER do that at the pet shop, they keep changing cages and bringing in new cagemates in tiny cages without introducing them on neutral grounds before, and some of the more dominant rats still pick a fight but most of the time they are scared and just cuddle with all the others.
I really believe that they get they need to get along to not add to the discomfort of living at the petstore.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Rodentologist

Also, to be gruesomely honest, a lot of times they DO fight, and the pet stores just fish out the injured ones and the bodies to dispose of.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

yeah that's true also. We had dead mice a lot, eaten by the others but I just assumed it was because some of the workers forgot to feed them.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Rodentologist

Cannibalism is common for dead bodies. It's more an instinct to get rid of the bodies than hunger. In the wild, a dead body in your house means predators can smell you, so it's important to get rid of it asap!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Official Loofah Tester

That makes perfect sense. It makes me curious though, why might my mousies never cannibalized each other when one of them passed on.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Rodentologist

Part of it is instinct (and some animals have stronger instincts than others) and some of it is stressed. When they're really stressed out, they're more likely to have that same reaction because they experience stress when dealing with predators. And a pet store is very stressful for the animals, not to mention the terrible conditions they originate from.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Oh..yes they were fairly small. Thanks for the info

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

It makes me mad how the petstores keep all the mice together I ALWAYS see sick ones when I go...grrr!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
RAT ADDICT

Male mice RARELY will get along with eachother...even cagemates.They are very territorial and will fight to the death.

I have seen mice in the pet stores fighting and I also seen dead mice in the tanks that the employees "didn't get to yet"...I brought it to their attention before and thats the excuse they give.

If they were babies or really young males,that is possibly why they were not fighting yet.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:31 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh and Storyseeker...I think you meant "Li'lSpaz" is right,hahaha...I wasn't in this thread until now,so I didn't reply yet,therefore I couldn't be right if I didn't reply yet!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

well you know, it's "normal" petstores can't take proper care of the animals. For example, we were max 4 employees at one time, but more like 3 and we had 5-8 dogs, 10 cats, 20 rats, 5-10 hamsters depending on the time, 2-4 bunnies, 4 degus, 2 ginea pigs, a ferret, a hedgehog, like 30 different birds from parrots to budgies to canaries, reptiles and a thousand fish.
There is no way 3 people in one day can take proper care of those animals. We had time to go around once cleaning everything and putting food and water, and then with the clients you don't have time to notice dead mice. The conditions are ridiculous, there should be a lot less animals in most pet stores! but mine was particularly bad!
I still have nightmares about it, thank god my louna is with me, I'm scared she could have ended up not only as snake food but even worse: a breeder female!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 06:43 AM
RAT ADDICT

Well the store I am talking about is a big chain pet store and they do have alot of employees there and I have been there on more then one occasion and seen employees standing around doing NOTHING.In those times,they should check the cages/tanks...ya know?

I avoid that store now,so I don't know if they changed or got worse.I heard they were supposed to improve,but I have no clue if they did as I do not go there.I doubt they did though...

* Lisa *