I feel like a bad mom. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

I feel like a bad mom.

Piglet and Barney, are my two boys who i have had for atleast 7months now and i love them to bits, but i feel like such a bad mom as i got them just around the same time i started college, so i feel as if i didnt spend the same amount of time as i did with my other two boys. Im studying for my exams and dont get to spend time with them enough. Am i being a bad mom? i see them everyday their fed and talked to but am i being neglectful that i can't let them out for longer or not every single day?! its only been these last few months that college has hit hard on me and i feel like i am not being a good mom to them! Novo is a lone male who is down at my moms house and he is with me nearly all day because he is a lone rat and i know he gotta be with me all the time, but what do you all think?! am i being cruel?

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 12:13 PM

I don't think your being cruel. I mean college can be very stressful at times. And it's not like you aren't taking care of them, your just not giving them as much attention as ou would if you weren't so stressed. I really feel for you I am the same atm with uni and it's horrible. Anyway you can make up for it during summer. Don't beat yourself up about it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you hun.
But i still can't help feeling awful about it.
I buy them new toys everytime i'm out, and i know their spoiled, but i still feel like a bad owner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Part of the Pack

I'm in college too, and while my rats don't get lots of out time, they certainly aren't suffering. I had one litter grow up during exam weeks, though, and they did turn out a bit skittish. Other than that, I haven't had any problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Part of the Pack

i know how you feel. i'm at college and feel like a really bad owner juggling college and work with the rats.

i'm sure they'll forgive you. mine seem to forgive me (usually around feeding time!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Awwww, don't feel to bad hun! My ratties go on terrible chewing frenzies, and I've just had my room redone with a new wardrob and a new bed, and I havn't wanted them ruined, so I've been putting them on the landing for a run. Because everyone walks around up there, it gets hard to let them out between times that it will be okay, so they havn't been out as much latley. I've been giving them special dinners instead sometimes, so they don't mind to much and they are healthy and fine, so don't worry. It's fine
Luv ya
xxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Part of the Pack

you can look at it this way as well. the fact you feel guilty probably means you love them as much as they love you!

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:46 AM

I'm a breeder and have 42 rats. Other pets include 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 3 dogs, a cat and a horse. Between working at a bar 3-4 days a week (all night, so I sleep all day), giving a riding lesson every Monday in a town 1 hour away, playing groom for two horses twice a month, exercising my horse and still trying to juggle something resembling a social life, I don't have a huge amount of time for my rats. But they're happy, healthy and they all live in same-sex colonies so have friends to keep them company when I'm not able to.
One of the many reasons it is recommended to keep rats in same-sex pairs or groups is so they can have a constant play-mate, even when their owner can't be there for them. If anything, it makes you a more humane rat owner in that you have friends for your rats and don't just expect them them to live out their as singles.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quick update people:
Well im starting my exams soon and have been pretty stressful i cannot seem to spend time with my babies as much as i need to and i feel awful. They seem happy and not in anyway depressed. But i found some little bite marks on piglet yesterday with little hard scabs over them, i found two medium sized ones, and now im even more stressed as i feel like its my fault! maybe their getting bored because i aint there!? Gaah im too stressed atm.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 AM

First of all good luck with your exams, I have mine soon too so I know how stressed you feel. I´m no expert on rats as I have none of my own but if you feel that they are getting bored you could try to hide treats inside things and put them around the cage so they can entertain themselves. After your exams you can make it up to them, but for now try not to stress over them as you´ll have enough with your exam stress.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Nah Im sure your a wonderful mom and your little guys know that

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
cccc