Photos! I found a baby mouse 4 days ago... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question I found a baby mouse 4 days ago...

Hey all, this is my first post. I was going into my basement to do laundry when I almost stepped on this little baby mouse. I thought he was a lint ball! Two days later I found his mom and a sibling dead, they had probably fallen victim to poison my grandfather set out. Well anyways, he's so cute! I have been feeding him KMR formula and I believe he is around two weeks old as his eyes are halfway open. I have him in a hamster cage right now with a heating pad on low under it and carefresh pink pet bedding in there. I have hamster food in there because i've seen it recommended and I had it on hand. Hoping he may get curious. I also have soft kitten food (wet food, not crunchies) but no water. I put some KMR in there this morning and he drank it himself. I realized he ate on his own because he was licking my finger because I was testing out how warm the milk was lol. So my question is, am I doing things right? What should I do for him at this age? Oh, I also know you need to rub them to go to the bathroom, I do it after he eats and randomly throughout the day but sometimes he squeaks so I take it as an IM FINE LEAVE ME ALONE lol. Thanks for the help in advance! Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Sounds like you are doing everything perfectly so far! Are you planning to keep him/her as a pet or will you be releasing him/her back to the wild? xx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

It depends. Will he be a suitable pet? I'm thinking as he's a baby he would't know the difference. He has no mites or anything i've checked him over. I've owned mice before, but they were fancy mice, and they also had babies but the mother took care of them.I need help weaning him also. I don't exactly know how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I also see that part of his eye is red. Is this normal, is it the part of the eye that hasn't hit light? Or is that damage?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Can anybody tell me how to wean him? When i had pet mice the mother milked them and then i remember they ate hard food. What do I have to do as "mother"?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Adolescent Pup

i dont see any pics, although it says there is pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Im sorry i went to post pics but it said i had to have 20+ posts and i forgot to change it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 AM
I am allergic to maths

You are doing quite well so far, I would still feed him milk for a while but add a water bottle to his cage
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 02:44 PM

I think its amazing what your doing, keep it upp. =]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

To wean him just make sure there is hard food in reach for him in his cage and he will do it himself! You will still need to feed him milk but add a water bottle to his cage too so he can find it and he shuld basicaly wean himself.....thats the way rodents seem to do it.....i had 2 litters of rats and i watched them at the age of 2 weeks start to nibble at solid food and then feedings from mum just got less and less until they stopped feeding from mum totally and i now have loads of totally healthy BIG rats lol
As for keeping him as a pet he may be ok if you handle him loads to tame him up but i'm not 100% on that plus i have never owned mice and dont know what they are like temperament wise etc but good luck! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

He eventually got off the solid foods, survived for a year and passed away. But he was spoiled rotten. That was the most rewarding thing i've ever done and that mouse wanted nothing more than to be around me.

Tags
2 weeks, baby, mouse, two weeks, weeks