I Got A Rat! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Talking I Got A Rat!

Yes its crazy me again, adding more animals to my zoo! Ok so what happened is...Snowy and Sweat Pea (devil dwarf hamsters) went to live with my sis for awhile (the one with the hairless cat). Some of her mice passed away recently and she is wonderful at taming animals, so we decided to let her take Snowy and Sweet Pea for company and to tame them a little. She takes care of her animals like they are her children so no one needs to worry about them. So today I am supposed to be resting (still sick) but we went to the Pet Nutrition Center to get the kitties their canned food. They have animals at the store too, and I always visit the rabbits. They have very sweet ones there. Anyway, when I was visiting my usual rabbit friend, the cutest female rat was hanging out of the top cage (they leave the doors open) and totally climbed onto my jacket. She was the sweetest thing and let me carry her around, calm as can be.

Well, the way that I am is that if I have an animal in my hands for over 5 seconds, I get attached to it. Mike was there and I gave him "puppy dog eyes," plus I didn't have to do much because he really liked her too. So anyway, she came home with us and is now getting settled in. She is just the sweetest thing!

I have never had a rat before so does anyone have any pointers? I have a general knowlege of rats but I've always had hamsters. Of course I will do some research today. Right now she is in a 20 gallon tank with aspen shavings. We made a house for her out of a small box but she hasn't gone in it. I think she would probably like a wire cage better, what do you guys think? Oh and names. I need names! She is black and white. I'll be sure to post pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!

Last edited by veggiegirl; 12-01-2004 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Congratulations!
I'm sorry if this comes of as being rude, I'm just curious...but why did you just get a rat when you just had to pay for Tiger's vet bill and had problems with your hamsters? I'm not saying you can't handle it, of course you can, I'm just curious. I know she will do great with you guys!
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Um, because we can afford to have a rat and pay for Tiger's vet bill. I don't think I need to go into my finances on here. I also have health insurance for my cats now which covers any big expenses. And what do the hammies have to do with it? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I didn't mean for you to get upset, nor go into your finances. It's just that you said Mike wasn't talking to you because of the vet bill.
And I thought that maybe you wanted to wait if you get your hammies back. Forget what I said I'm digging myself a hole I can't get out of.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Congratulations on the girl! I want rats! Now I'm envious. hehehe

I got a couple of websites for you, and something important to tell you. Rats are very very social animals. Also very very intelligent animals. A 20 gallon tank is a minimum for a pair of rats, but wire cages are better cause rats tend to develop respiratory diseases in tanks (accumulation of ammonia and stuff) It's better to provide a challenging environment to keep them occupied (cause they are very intelligent)... Now on to the websites:

http://www.curiosityrats.com/ <-- lots of great info!
http://www.rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm
http://www.kristinewickstrom.homeste...nelApplet.html

I think those have plenty of info for now, but if you want more, I have a lot other websites. 8)

Dimaris

post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
I didn't mean for you to get upset, nor go into your finances. It's just that you said Mike wasn't talking to you because of the vet bill.
And I thought that maybe you wanted to wait if you get your hammies back. Forget what I said I'm digging myself a hole I can't get out of.
Oh, you thought that Mike wasn't talking to me because of the vet bill? Nooooo. I said I didn't want to mention the vet bill to Mike, but I was being more sarcastic than anything because we have had a lot of vet bills lately. Mike wasn't mad at me at all for taking Tiger to the vet. I see why you were confused. Hope I cleared that up.

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Padfoot! Mike is building a cage for her as we speak. I agree, wire is better and I can already tell that she loves to climb. He is building an awesome one! It will have ladders and shelves in it too. Thanks for the sites. Now, any name suggestions?

post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Names... that's something I'm really bad at..... but I want pictures. 8) hehe

Dimaris

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Okay, I gotcha now, Steph. Well, congrats again.
As for names, what about Rikku?
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Names... that's something I'm really bad at..... but I want pictures. 8) hehe
Charging up the digi-cam right now. You will get more than you ever wanted!

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I think we can handle it.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
I think we can handle it.

Dimaris

post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Steph! Congrats on your new pet rat.. What about Sophie or Amber for a name?

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Congrats on your new little rattie Steph, they make great pets!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I just had a great idea! You could buy her little outfits and a harness and take her on walks!

Tags
aspen shavings, cage mate, canned food, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, female rat, male rat, pet store, social animals, wire cage, wire cages, wonderful pets