I hate pet stores - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I hate pet stores

It was off to the pet store today, to get bedding and rabbit treats (which, I was giving Trickster one and he wouldnt take it so I gave it to the little bunny and Trickster goes over, steals it and eats it ). Now, I hardly ever go into this pet store because of the fact that they have all their animals all grouped up, like 10 rats in one little 10 gallon cage. It drives me insane because I think its mean and just not humane.
So, I was going back towards the rats and I bent down to look at the rats on the lower shelves that they dont sell for pets (supposdly, but whos paying attention?!) and that are used as snake food. There were around 6 of them in this cage and two of them were so cute, I had to buy them.
So, I brought them home, introduced them to my other two boys, hoping that they'd accept them and that they'd get along. They got along beautifully, I watched them for about an hour and then joined the cages and when I last looked, they all four were trying to fit into one little igloo
Sorry this is so long, just figured I'd share =]
Also, any name suggestions would be awesome, as I cant think of any at the moment lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

thats a common sight i see, and cant bare, its how i even got rats and mice to begin with

im glad you adopted them all, im glad there are some people in the world that feel the same way like me

good luck with your rats, and your five yr old one

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

I came up with two names :Farren, as it means mover and the one I named that is very mobile lol and Aladdin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:36 PM

Most pet stores suck, IMO. You can't trust anything the employees say and the animals are usually not taken good care of. I've been very few good ones.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

I just wanna say,you should of quaratined the new rats for a couple of weeks,because if they are sick (wouldn't be suprising with pet store animals) they will pass sickness on to your other rats.

I also dislike pet stores.Most anyway.The employees are usually there only because it is a job.They dunno anything about animals and care...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I thought about that, and you're right, I should have. I honestly just didnt think about it when I did it because I was more worried about them getting along. Though, these two seem healthy, shiny coats, bright eyes, very active.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoggleSnitch
Yes, I thought about that, and you're right, I should have. I honestly just didnt think about it when I did it because I was more worried about them getting along. Though, these two seem healthy, shiny coats, bright eyes, very active.
It is okay...hopefully they don't have any illnesses.I once took in a rescue and she was all alone and so I shortened her quaratine to only a week,because I felt bad...however she wasn't sick or anything,so thats good.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

-nods- We'll just have to wait and keep watch
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I did the same thing Scofield was alone for a couple of weeks before I got him a buddy. I introduced them right away because of that.

It's okay, but remember to save some cash or something in case they do get sick. If they do you'll have to take them ALL to the vet even if they all don't show signs. A lot of those diseases are passed from one rat to another.

*Missy*
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Very true. I'm just making sure to keep an eye on them right now.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 07:36 AM

Pet stores make me very angry. Many of the employees are so apathetic and don't know squat about anything. The way they keep the animals just proves it. Too bad there's no real regulation on the matter...

Tags
pet store, pet stores, snake food