Hi my name is Marissa. I have three beautiful girls ratties, their names are Luna, Gwen and Logan. They are about 3 months old.
I have a couple of questions that I am still confused about.
1. What is a good cage for 3 - 5 girls ( I want to get 2 more soon) and what would be the proper bar spacing. I have a cage now but it is getting to small for them because they grow so fast!
2. What bedding do you use? I am using CareFresh ( the normal gray kind) right now and I don' much like it. I have used CareFresh Ultra and didn't like that either. I have also used ECO Bedding and it did NOTHING for the oder.
3. What can I do for the smell. I spot clean it every day and completely clean is every Saturday. But later that day it smells again and I know that's not good for them. I want them to be alive and healthy as long as they can be.
Umm that's all I have right now.
Thanks for the help!
1. I'm not sure on actual dimensions, but if you go to this site: http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml
, and put in the dimensions of the cage you're considering, it'll tell you the amount of rats that can comfortably live in that cage.
Bar spacing depends on the rattys size of course. Are you getting two older girls? If so, then half an inch apart I'd say would be okay. If they're younger, then I'm not so sure!
2. I use "Natural Critter Care" that you find in Wal*Mart. I've had no complaints about it.
3. What do you clean the cage with? I use vinegar and a wash cloth and rub down the bottom of the cage, then I put newspapers down before I put bedding. Do you use houses made out of cardboard or soda boxes (like me)? They'll need changed a lot, if so, because rattys (at least my boys) like to pee in them. Also, if you shred up bedding for them, I'd change that more often - again they like to pee on that stuff!