I have a couple of basic rat questions that I am confused about. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have a couple of basic rat questions that I am confused about.

Hi my name is Marissa. I have three beautiful girls ratties, their names are Luna, Gwen and Logan. They are about 3 months old.

I have a couple of questions that I am still confused about.

1. What is a good cage for 3 - 5 girls ( I want to get 2 more soon) and what would be the proper bar spacing. I have a cage now but it is getting to small for them because they grow so fast!

2. What bedding do you use? I am using CareFresh ( the normal gray kind) right now and I don' much like it. I have used CareFresh Ultra and didn't like that either. I have also used ECO Bedding and it did NOTHING for the oder.

3. What can I do for the smell. I spot clean it every day and completely clean is every Saturday. But later that day it smells again and I know that's not good for them. I want them to be alive and healthy as long as they can be.

Umm that's all I have right now.
Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 056.jpg (60.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 036.jpg (57.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (59.9 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Happy-Go-Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalyrikacrow View Post
Hi my name is Marissa. I have three beautiful girls ratties, their names are Luna, Gwen and Logan. They are about 3 months old.

1. What is a good cage for 3 - 5 girls ( I want to get 2 more soon) and what would be the proper bar spacing. I have a cage now but it is getting to small for them because they grow so fast!

2. What bedding do you use? I am using CareFresh ( the normal gray kind) right now and I don' much like it. I have used CareFresh Ultra and didn't like that either. I have also used ECO Bedding and it did NOTHING for the oder.

3. What can I do for the smell. I spot clean it every day and completely clean is every Saturday. But later that day it smells again and I know that's not good for them. I want them to be alive and healthy as long as they can be.

Thanks for the help!
1. I'm not sure on actual dimensions, but if you go to this site: http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml , and put in the dimensions of the cage you're considering, it'll tell you the amount of rats that can comfortably live in that cage. Bar spacing depends on the rattys size of course. Are you getting two older girls? If so, then half an inch apart I'd say would be okay. If they're younger, then I'm not so sure!

2. I use "Natural Critter Care" that you find in Wal*Mart. I've had no complaints about it.

3. What do you clean the cage with? I use vinegar and a wash cloth and rub down the bottom of the cage, then I put newspapers down before I put bedding. Do you use houses made out of cardboard or soda boxes (like me)? They'll need changed a lot, if so, because rattys (at least my boys) like to pee in them. Also, if you shred up bedding for them, I'd change that more often - again they like to pee on that stuff!

I'm working on a new siggy! So you'll just have to look at this text until then.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You can order a wonderful cage from Martin's Cages.
http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

They are so much cheaper than pet store cages of equivalent size. Make sure you choose the option to get it powder coated. I would recommend The Rat Skyscraper (R-695) or The Ruud Cage (R-699) for that number of rats. They will have plenty of room to play. Try to cover the wire floors with something solid if you can. It's an investment to get a good cage, but seriously worth it.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Are Martin Cages really that good? They look big and clunky.

Last edited by Lalyrikacrow; 11-13-2009 at 05:49 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
3. What do you clean the cage with? I use vinegar and a wash cloth and rub down the bottom of the cage, then I put newspapers down before I put bedding. Do you use houses made out of cardboard or soda boxes (like me)? They'll need changed a lot, if so, because rattys (at least my boys) like to pee in them. Also, if you shred up bedding for them, I'd change that more often - again they like to pee on that stuff!

I use Fresh Start Cage Cleaner and Deodorizer with hot hot water. They have a igloo in there right now and I clean that the same way as the cage and I don't put anything down before I put the bedding in because they dig and stuff so is wouldn't stay down there long. Also I was told that vinegar is bad to use with them because its acidic.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Are Martin Cages really that good? They look big and clunky.
Martin's are wonderful cages, I have 5 here and am getting another R-695 on Sunday. They are shipped to you in fairly easy to assemble panels, and you can use the supplied C-rings (and tool) or use zip-ties for easier breakdown.

This is my old R-695 (it was sold to me used without the top shelf so I improvised. I kept 5 rats in it

In my cages I use quality aspen, or fleece, mewsprint (a cheaper knockoff of yesterday's news) and also carefresh in one cage (these brats destroy fleece, and carry aspen up to the top and gleefully shove it through the bars *doh*

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 11-13-2009 at 06:24 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:

My rat is named Louna too

I would say, as big as you can fit where you want the cage to be! or martin's cages, I hear they are great and from the pictures I've seen i can tell ratties love it!

I use hemp bedding. I tried aspen and hated it because I felt the pee smelled SO bad on it. but most people find it good! Hemp is more expensive but it's VERY absorbant, i can't even tell where my louna peed on it! I use a toilet corner where she poops and pees, and I have a fleece lining at the bottom (that way it's very cheap, just throw the lining in the washer once a week) she also pees on the lining, but since I only have one rat (unfortunately ) it's ok and doesn't get too stinky.

Well you have three rats, so it's normal to have a little odor i think! If you find that they are themselves smelly because they lie on their own pee, you can give them a quick wash! even just water works. I think if you use mainly fleece things in the cage, like hammocks, beds, lining, you can put all of those in the washer whenever it gets stinky, just have doubles so you can change it as often as it stinks, and then toilet train them if you want to, that way the dirty area is lessened and easier and faster to just empty and change more often!

Thanks for the help!
hope that helps a little, and congrats on the new ratties they're really cute!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yep.

Quote:
I use hemp bedding. I tried aspen and hated it because I felt the pee smelled SO bad on it. but most people find it good! Hemp is more expensive but it's VERY absorbant, i can't even tell where my louna peed on it! I use a toilet corner where she poops and pees, and I have a fleece lining at the bottom (that way it's very cheap, just throw the lining in the washer once a week) she also pees on the lining, but since I only have one rat (unfortunately ) it's ok and doesn't get too stinky.
Where can u get hemp bedding from?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I get mine from the pet store. Not all petstores in my area carry it. I'm in canada... my brand is lifemate hemp bedding, but i know there must be other brands!
looks like this:

Tags
rats