I just got two new mice and .... WHAT?? Babies??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation I just got two new mice and .... WHAT?? Babies???

I bought a pair of sister mice from a pet store not to long ago. I've never had mice before but have had gerbils and rats. I thought those two looked a little chubby but never having mice before.....

Well, on Tuesday, I noticed that their nest box seemed to be squeaking. I have read that mice generally don't make a lot of squeaks unless something is wrong. So I got my flashlight, peered into the box and saw......BABIES!!!

Now I've got two thin mice and a small nest box full of sqeaking babies. What do I do??? My books say nothing on breeding. I don't breed animals. That's why I always buy same sex pairs.

Help? Please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You don't have to do anything special although I'd recommend feeding a diet a little higher in protein to the mother (this can be achieved by adding dog food, scrambled eggs, or chicken). Don't clean the cage or anything right now since you don't want to stress her out.

The babies will be fully weaned by four weeks of age and should be separated by gender at five weeks.

Unfortunately this is extremely common with petstore mice since most stores don't separate by gender. Even the ones that do often make mistakes.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww babies! like sasami said, don't clean the cage for a good long while. wait a few days before handling the babies. give momma mouse extra protien for nursing. meat, eggs, or bread soaked in milk, or a milkbone, work great. can't wait to see pics!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 04:53 PM
laugh often

if you look in our articles there is a suprise litter one and it has helpful info on weaning care and such. also if you give her eggs and such makes sure she eats it because it can rot in the cage. I usually give them half a milk bone a day for extra protein and then tofu or something on cage cleaning days. congrats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your help. I read the artical on surprise litters and everything else I could find.

I talked to the pet store people. They said that I could bring the pinkies to the store. There is no way I could do that. I feel sick even remembering their solution.

The two mothers seem to be taking turns caring and feeding the babies. There appears to only be nine or so. That makes me REALLY happy as I could not find any articals that talked about two mice having surprise litters at the same time.

I heard that giving her cat food is a good way to boost the Mama's protine level. Does anyone here do that?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Will It Ever Change?

cat food works in moderation, so does dog food and dog milkbones, or bread soaked in milk

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 02:33 AM
laugh often

kitten food works but as said before use it in moderation too much of a good thing can be bad. congrats. I am really happy for you. And yes mothers usually do well together, from what I habve read and researched.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna

Tags
cage cleaning, cat food, dog food, kitten food, nest box, pet store