I kept mine in habitrail cages? Is that bad? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Question I kept mine in habitrail cages? Is that bad?

I had rats a few years ago, and kept 4 females in 6 habitrail cages, all hooked up together, with wheels and other addons (had the safari and space models as well as assorted addons) But these cages WERE meant for hamsters. Was it a bad idea? I'm reading about people putting rats in much larger cages, and I'm starting to think that they didn't have enough room. They were out of their cages almost all the time I was home, but still. Was it too crowded? They never SEEMED to mind, but now I kinda wonder...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 09:59 PM

I kinda feel hamster cages are much too small for rats.
The smallest cage I would put a rat in is those rabbit/ guinea pig cages.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Yes they are too small. You're lucky that one didn't get caught in the tubes.

It's okay, I think when owning pets everying has done something they shouldn't have. I kept my first rat alone...

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 08:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hamster cages are much too small and not appropriate for rats.Mice are okay in them,but not rats.

I agree with Melissa,the smallest they can be in are guinea pig/rabbit cages.I do have a 3 story hammie cage on the otherhand that I have young rats in.They are not too big yet.It is okay to put baby rats in hammie cages,but they do grow out of them quickly!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Yes, hammy cages are too short, even if it is wide. Smallest for rats, as people have already mentioned is a GP/Rabbit cage! I have my males in a home made cage, cube cage, but females are not suitable for them unless they are larger. You can get cheap cages on Martin's Cages, with tons of styles and designs, and set up is easy...ONCE I get a job I will get a Martins Cage!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
Yes they are too small. You're lucky that one didn't get caught in the tubes.

It's okay, I think when owning pets everying has done something they shouldn't have. I kept my first rat alone...
I agree.I think everyone made some mistake at some point.
Important thing is learning from your mistakes!!

So next time you get ratties,use a much bigger cage
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
I agree.I think everyone made some mistake at some point.
Important thing is learning from your mistakes!!

So next time you get ratties,use a much bigger cage
not only lack of room the tubes are far too narrow..but true...its better to ask and get other peoples opinions and learn from mistakes..thats what makes a good pet lover

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

It's been a WHILE since I owned rats. This is just an afterthough. They didn't even have any problems with the tubes thoguh. They were all pretty small for rats...abotu the size OF a hamster actually, and they were all fullgrown. But yeah, I was thinking that since i had 6 cages attached to each other, it would be the same as a larger cage. Thanks for the input and not eating me alive for it...lol
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:54 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_b18
It's been a WHILE since I owned rats. This is just an afterthough. They didn't even have any problems with the tubes thoguh. They were all pretty small for rats...abotu the size OF a hamster actually, and they were all fullgrown. But yeah, I was thinking that since i had 6 cages attached to each other, it would be the same as a larger cage. Thanks for the input and not eating me alive for it...lol
WOW!Thats small for a rat,even a female rat!Maybe they were stunted or were dwarf rats???

But yes,people learn from their mistakes (in most cases) and at least you know for next time!!

* Lisa *

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'd always thought they were small...and having a growth stunt would make sense, because I bought them from a petstore, and I'm POSITIVE that they were inbred.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:10 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_b18
Yeah, I'd always thought they were small...and having a growth stunt would make sense, because I bought them from a petstore, and I'm POSITIVE that they were inbred.
I had a really stunted mouse!She was TINY!She should of grew WAY more,but she was from a pregnant (inbred most likely) mouse I got from a pet store.That was YEARS ago tho,when I first got into mice.

My female rats now are all very small,but not overly small to the point they are considered dwarf or stunted.

* Lisa *

Tags
baby rats, female rat, female rats, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig cages, hamster cage, male rat, male rats, pet store, pig cages, rabbit cage