I made a mistake :[ - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

I made a mistake :[

AGHHH I make myself soo mad sometimes. For SOME reason I had NO idea cedar was dangerous. My mice have been using cedar! i think that was the suspicious squeaking from Eddie. :[ Right now there's a towel and some toilet paper. I hope that'll do, i'm going to wash the towel every 3 days, until we can get some aspen. Will he manage?

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Had one of those moments? I have. Don't worry about it. At least you caught it before it was too late. I'm sure it'll be okay, but they'll probably rip and tear at it to make nesting material, so you know.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

The best bedding i have found by far is Fibercores ECO Bedding its safe rodents love it and its cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Its long term use that damages/poisons the internal organs of our small domestics, and short term the strong smell/phenols can hurt their lungs. You caught it so it should be fine.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Thank you so much, guys it makes me feel better. he hasn't ripped anything yet, I have him a big wad of toilet paper to put in his hidey home, so he sleeps in that. Like I think I mentioned before, i'm going to clean his towel every 3 days. He has his wheel, some food, and a toilet paper tube
But he does sneeze a bit. Should this stop soon?

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:16 AM
RAT ADDICT

As the others mentioned,at least you caught it.
We all have made mistakes.

Aspen,Yesterday's News,Carefresh,hemp,shredded paper...etc.These are safe litters.And yes,your mice will be fine with towels/toilet paper,but as mentioned they will probably chew it up and shred it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Okay, thanks
How long should the sneezing last?
If it lasts long, I found a vet in a city real close to me, who treats mice and rats.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Maybe a couple days? I think I ran into something like that a long time ago with one of the critters I had. I discovered what I was using wasn't safe, and I switched 'em over, and I think they were sneezing too. ..But yeah, I shouldn't think it'd last any longer than a couple of days.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:34 PM
is a little "special"

Cedar and Pine can irratate their little respitory systems, so I would give it a couple days. But, if it persists, take them to the vet incase its a URI.
And dont feel bad- Its long term use that really affects them, and you havent had your mice too long. When I was little and didnt know any better, we always used cedar and pine... Thankfully, our animals didnt seem to be affected by it, and lived long little lives. We all make mistakes, but its good that you figured it out sooner than later!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Eddie is still sneezing, and my mom wasn't too enthusiastic about it, I care about my animals way more then her, lol. Sooo, I took Eddie downstairs and showed her. She giggled, I have to say it is cute, but not funny, so she said if he isn't done sneezing on Tuesday we will take him. We called the vet today and a visit is 50 dollars, my mom gets her check that day, woo hoo. He's being a normal little mouse, just add sneezing. He sneezes non stop. I hope he gets better.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Eddie hasn't sneezed! He hasn't sneezed at all. But he still clicks when he breathes, so he is going to the vet. I was getting so scared because he was sneezing HORRIBLE the other night, he could barely breathe. But he's not sneezing at all <3

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'd imagine that's probably improvement, though. But it is a good idea to take him to the vet regardless,
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:08 PM
is a little "special"

"Clicking" when they breathe is actually a sign of a URI, so even though he stopped sneezing, he might still have a little something. Good luck! I hope he is OK!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Ok, I noticed more. 1, he still clicks, but yesterday he seemed to be gasping alot, he doesn't gasp anymore. He's eating more.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

Pandora sneezes too, but half the time I think she's just talking cause nothing actually comes of it, she just makes noises. I changed from Cedar bedding to breeder's choice cat litter. its paper based and no dust. which is a lot better for them. And they can still dig.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)

Last edited by PitaPandora; 12-09-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: m ore info