I managed to avoid illnesses...till now - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I managed to avoid illnesses...till now

So I have managed to avoid sick rats for some time now.Nobody has gotten ill here for awhile.

Unfortunatly Jürgen has been showing some signs of an RI today...loud labored breathing,a lot of sneezing and runny nose.The other two are not showing any symptoms,but since they live with him,they have been exposed.So I am not going to separate them.I do have the new guys in a different room from my other rats though,so hopefully my other guys won't catch it.

I will be calling the vet tomorrow to get an appointment for Jürgen.

I am probably going to bring all three in though anyway and have them all treated and checked out.I am also going to have them checked for lice too,as you know I suspected they may have some...even though I still have not found any nasty critters.But Jürgen is the main priority now,since he is the one showing the symptoms.I wanna get him checked out and on meds ASAP.

*sigh*...it stresses me out so bad.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I hope that everything checks out for you, and I certainly wish Jurgen a very speedy recovery! Hopefully the other boys are not sick as well! Hugs!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks.

Tomorrow cannot come as fast as it should for me to call and make an appointment.I mean I probably won't be able to get in there tomorrow,but I do want to make an appointment ASAP! So I am very restless that I cannot call tonight.They are closed and only the emergency office is open and this is not exactly an emergency.An emergency vet visit is $90.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yowzers! $90? Wow, I wish him a safe recovery and hope the others are ok.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, sick ratties can be so stressful. You are lucky that you haven't dealt with much sickness! I've had so much trouble with URIs ever since I first started keeping rats. I just hate when they're sick and you feel so helpless. Good luck getting him to the vet soon. Try and relax!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks.Yes,it is stressful.

I also think it is luck,because I have had some rats who never got sick their whole life and most of my females never ever got tumors! I must be doing something right if I manage to keep healthy rats usually.

I once had to treat ALL of my rats for RI's and I had 15 at the time I believe.THAT was stressful,but I will do anything to make sure my babies feel better,even if it means medicating everyone,sleepless nights,vet bills...whatever.

I will keep you updated on things.

*fingers crossed my adult rats don't catch it*.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Betta Bomb

Whoa!! Man if I can Ill accompany you to vet (cuz **** knows you came on your fair share with Akina and I!! And having company helps the nerves) All the best.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thank you.

I will let you know when I make the appointment.It will be soon.I will be making it at St.Johns and hoping with Dr.Hillier.I like her.She is the one who normally treats my rats.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Betta Bomb

lemme know
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Good luck VanillaRat...sick rats are stressful, I know. I am dealing with a possible Sendai outbreak here...

Just keep him warm, hydrated, and fed until you get to your appt.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am also going to the vet tonight with Scooter for respiratory sounds. I noticed last night that his breathing sounded pretty harsh. He already on antibiotics long term for chronic URI, so we'll have to look at some other treatment for this.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry about Scooter.

I just finally got a hold of the vet.Jürgen has a vet appointment Wednesday at 4:45pm.They couldn't get me in sooner,cause the normal rat vet is on vacation and I was not available tomorrow.

Poor little boy...sneezing,congested and coughing.The other two are fine,but I am going to see about having them treated too,just to be on the safe side.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I hope for him a speedy recovery. Its stressfull when any pet we love gets sick. We had some so called freinds stay with us for 2 days just recently and my black cat is not a social bug and we told them to just leave him alone he will come to you. its been 2 days and he is acting really funny and has an opointment on monday which I do have the vets number case he gets worse and I have to go before then.
I can relate to the sneezing and congestion as in when i have had a bad cold so just amagine how they feel. I wish you the best and hope that all is ok and its just RI and nothing eals as in no lice mites or anything. could they be itchy do to to much protine or not enough? I heard that some were but dont know how true that is or if its a wise tail that some one told me they had a pet rat the got out and climbed up the sweer piped and came out the tolet.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck at the vets and I hope he's feeling better soon!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks...me too.

* Lisa *