I Need Help All My Baby Mice Are Dieing!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I Need Help All My Baby Mice Are Dieing!!!

One more baby died yesterday/over night. Does somebody know why the babies are all dieing? Does the mother usually kill more than one of her babies? I cant believe that it is because its too many to feed i mean there were only 5 to begin with and then 4 yesterday Why would she kill all her babies? Should i take out the rest and raise them away from the mom to prevent more deaths?
Please help me i i do not want them all to die and i really don't know whats wrong and what to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Official Loofah Tester

There could be different reasons they are dying. They could just have something genetic wrong with them or something. She could be a young inexperienced mother and not be feeding them or keeping them warm properly. She could be stressed from all the changes in her life and killing them. She might be malnourished and be unable to care for them physically, or be eating them because she's malnourished.

From what little I've read, mice are very sensitive to noise and disturbances while nesting with babies. If she isn't already, I'd make sure she was in a warm, quiet room with lots of nesting materials and a good diet. I don't know enough, but if she has a cage mate, you might want to remove the cagemate since they aren't that familiar with each other. That may be poor advice though.

If they're still pinkies, the the odds of you being able to hand rear them are very slim. It would require 24 hour care for the next few weeks. They have a better chance being left with their mother.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:36 AM
RAT ADDICT

As Storyseeker mentioned there could be various reasons the babies are dying.If there is something wrong with them,the mother may abandon them or eat them.

Is she eating them? This is a sign that she is missing something in her diet.When mice nurse,they require more protein and nutrients in their diet,because the babies literally suck the nutrients out of her! Offer her a bit of chicken or a pierce of dog food or a bit of egg.

And as for hand raising them,this is a very hard job and in many cases,the babies would most likely die anyway.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
baby, dead, first litter, kill, mouse