i need help...im really torn with this decision. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy i need help...im really torn with this decision.

well, im realllllyyyy leaning towards getting a mouse again. i used to have 2 mice, boy & girl, and of course they multiplied. but unfortunally only 1 baby survived. well i had to get rid of the 2 boy mice, and i kept the girl, snowflake(r.i.p) and about a 1 year later, she passed away. T_T. anyways my brother , feeling sorry for me, surprised me by buying me a early christmas gift of a dwarf hamster, to be honest i wasnt ready for more responsibilities, but i had to deal. now that im used to having a pet again, i really missing have a little tail curl up around my finger. (snowflake loved doing that, while sleeping in my hands.) but, my mom isnt willing to let me get another mouse OR hamster. i really would want a girl mouse or girl hamster(no mating,the hammy i have now is a boy.) im trying to figure out a way of persauding her, because she knows im able to take care of many animals at once. because at one point i had about 10 mice to care for. and now i still have many animals, ill list my zoo for you.

1 hammy
1 turtle
1 dog
1 cat
1 snake

but really i only care after the hamster and the turtle. the snake is my sisters, and the dog and cat are more of family pets.

any suggestions?!

any help is welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Well really what your mom says goes.

I know what you mean about having a little pet around, all my pets are at my boyfriends house and I miss having a small critter around.

If you do get a new mouse just remember that females are social and that you should have 2. Male mice should live alone if they are bought in a pet store situation.
Definitely learn how to sex mice. Pet store employees can sometimes over look it and I have actually seen MANY male mice in female tanks so always accept the possibility that the female you bring home might be pregnant.

*Missy*
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

yea, i know about things like that. umm, most likely i will try and get a hammy or mouse from a rescue shelter close to my house, *little critter rescues*. but i really want to change my moms mind, because i know i can manage. =/ but im confused, cusz everytime we go to pick up pet food, at the pet store we always stop at look at the hammys && mice for about 10 min. she comments on how cute they are, but she wont let me get another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

For her it might be a responsibility thing. She might want to be absolutely sure that you will take care of another pet. Does she ever complain about your hamster like the cage needing to be cleaned and stuff like that? Maybe you can help out more with the other pets, like changing the cats litter box once or twice a week and feeding them every day. Really it might just come down to asking her what you can do to let you get another pet.

*Missy*
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

no, i dont think she ever does. and she knows i can take care of mutiply animals at a time, but i think its just that she doesnt want to have more animals in the house, maybe? but i think im going to convince my brother to buy me a girl mouse or hammy, then my mom cant denine it. becusz when my brother bought me my first hammy, she had no say, she she let me keep it, so most likely it will happen again .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:13 AM
laugh often

if you want a female mouse it would be best to get two as they are highly social animals and need company. the male mice on the other hand are more solitary animals and like to live alone if they do have cage mates there's a high chance of them fighting till the death. Boys do smell more than girls but if you use bio odor it cuts the odor down and you'd never knew they once were smelly. lol. I hope you get a little mousie soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:29 PM
RAT ADDICT

I would not go against your mom's wishes...because that will show her you respect her wishes and may cause other problems...trust me.When I was your age,I would bring home a mouse or rat without asking first and all heck broke lose.Then my mom would not trust me.

Show her how responsible you can be and maybe even help with other chores.

Female mice are highly social and need to be in at least pairs.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

oohhh. i keep hearing about that females are really social. then was i wrong and having only 1 female mouse? if i was i feel really horrible because i never knew this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 07:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr_princess_6 View Post
oohhh. i keep hearing about that females are really social. then was i wrong and having only 1 female mouse? if i was i feel really horrible because i never knew this.
You didn't know at the time,so don't beat yourself up over it.But in the future,if you get females...get at least two.

Males can live alone.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
cage mate, dwarf hamster, female mice, litter box, male mice, pet food, pet store, social animals