I need some advice!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Question I need some advice!!

my parents think rats are dirty sewer animals but i love them and i want one so bad. what can i say to make them change their minds? HELP!! give me your best... i need it!!

La La,
Jomance23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 03:13 PM
laugh often

actually if you do a gooogle search on fancy rats there are numerous sites that tell peoplethat rats are actually quite clean despit the popular myth. Also they'll you about show rats and much more intresting information. Maybe that can help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:31 PM

Next time your at a pet store show them the fancy rats. You could also try getting a lot of info on them to show the difference between wild rats and pet ones. If you keep asking them the might relent eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 02:05 AM

My best, hmm? Let's see..

~Rats groom themselves, and eachother all day long. They're one of the cleanest animals I know of besides cats.
~They're caged animals and can be put away if not being watched.
~They can learn tricks, come when called, be potty trained easier than dogs, I even saw a video of two rats that learned to play basketball. Teach your cats that one, ha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ZW0OGp4HE Video proof.
~You can actually buy tailless rats if it's the tail they don't like. Tailless rats aren't actually very healthy, but once they realize how much they cost and how much research you've done to discover tailless rats they may down and buy you a $3 rat from Petco [which are fine - most of mine came from Petco.. even my Dumbo Archimedes. Just be sure to pick the most active, fattest one with clear eyes and no gunk around their nose - and NO squeaky noises!].
~They also come in hairless, dwarf, rex [curly], and hundreds of colors.
http://www.hawthorn.org.uk/varieties.asp - Different varieties.
Umm.. what else?
~They give kisses! They need love! That's not a convincing argument.
~OH! Rats NEVER BITE. I have NEVER been bitten by a rat. I had a retarded rat who was horribly physically abused almost to death by people before I got him and he never bit me. He was actually a big sweety, and loved to lick my fingers. Like dogs; even after being abused they still trust people.
~They make a product that deodorizes their urine. It's called Bi-Odor, and you put it in their water. One squirt does the trick. Just be sure you clean out the bottle really good once a week on cage cleaning day. It gets yucky after a while.
~"C'mon mom! Rats are sweet, loving animals! Fine then, I want a cat." is what won my mom over. She's allergic to cats, but I didn't know that at the time. She knew I was likely to come home with a kitty... but it might not work with you.

Find weakness, exploit.

P.s. If it comes down to it don't get a dwarf hamster... they bite @[email protected] I'm not a fan of hamsters... spawn of satan.... Gerbils, mice, and even some teddybear hamsters are ok. Don't get a dwarf hamster. Hope I helped!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I just read another post of your about wanting a hamster???? You do also realise that its not really fair to keep 1 rat on its own? If you are going to get a rat get 2 as they are highly social and do best with a friend (ratty friend!) I cant give you tips on persuading your parents i guess at the end of the day what they say goes if you live under their roof!! Also on the hamster thing i tend to agree with your dad! They are rodents and i have had quite a few hamsters in my time of different varieties and i have only ever had 1 hamster out of about 10 that has never bitten me! The rest have been quite nasty and VERY hard to tame I would NEVER again have a hammy rats are by far the best but they need a lot of time and care!!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Rats are actually clean, intellagant animals that deserve more respect. Tell your parents that rats are in fact extremely clean animals. Tell them that they are as intellagant as a two year old (which they are) and just like minature dogs. They can be taught their names, litter trained and taught tricks too! Just do tons and tons of research and let them know how much you are serios about them. Try and get them interested in them and eventually you'll win them over lol!! good luck!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

my dad said it will never happen i already have a hammie and a gerbil i might get another hammie...he is a teddy bear...i found that out when i went to the petstore a couple of mins ago
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

it sounds like you have several pets right now, are you taking full care of them? you said you didn't have room for another ham in another post but you want a rat? a rat needs more space than a ham so if you don't have room for a ham cage you for sure won't have room for a rat. plus rats really do need to live with another rat.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
I need some advice!!
I think you need something else! But I cant help you with that.

Last edited by luvnature; 03-16-2008 at 09:53 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:36 PM
RAT ADDICT

Rats make wonderful pets,but they do need more care then throwing them in a cage and feeding them.They need stimulation and out of cage time.They love to play games and toys and they can adapt to schedules...meaning they will be awake when you are most times.They need to be out of their cage at least one hour a day.

They are less likely to bite then hamsters,altho I have a really sweet syrian.Rats are fun pets that are very similar to dogs and highly intelleigant.But they need to be in at least pairs and if they become sick,vet care can be costly.You have to be prepared for that.

A rat may not be the pet for you,from reading your other posts.But you can still inform your parents that rats are not dirty animals.They are clean and I have to say they are cleaner then cats at times! They are also very affectionate.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
bear hamster, cage cleaning, dwarf hamster, fancy rats, litter train, litter trained, pet store, potty train, potty trained, teddy bear, vet care, wonderful pets