i need some help with my rats!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Exclamation

ive got a problem. Today i bought another hairless male rat to be a buddt for my other hairless pet rat. Well the one i bought is still a baby and my other rat is older and well the younger one keeps following my older one and he keeps trying to bite and nip on him and i dont know what i should do so please help me out

My Zoo!

2 Dogs- Pepper The loving Lab (rescued)
- Princess the mixed up mutt. (Rescued
)
1 Rat- Wrinkles the sound senior (pet Shop)-
5 Chickens- Red (rhode island red)Scrappy (Barred Rock)
Flutterbugs (americano)
Spooks (Rosecomb Chicken)
Honey (Old English)

2 cats - Whiskers The Wild Tabby-(baby rescued)
Tabby the ticking Tabby (kitten rescued)

2 Fish- Oscar the over grown Oscar- Kirby the kicking percostimas
( ALL ARE PET SHOP RESCUES)

R.I.P -Velvet the romping Russian Blue (Stray Rescue) We had to have her euthanized 1/27/09
We miss you dearly Miss.Velvetine.:
angel:[/COLOR]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

It sounds to me like they aren't getting along, maybe the best thing to do would be to seperate them. Also did you qaurentine the new rat before introducing him to the other one? If not I would suggest removing him and qaurentining for atleast a week then maybe slowly introduce them perhaps through cage bars and such.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 12:34 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

why not wait till the younger rat is a few weeks older then try again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

and take them both out and let them play in a open area and not a cage.

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hi,

You definitely need to go more slowly. Rats are territorial and need to decide who is alpha rat and a whole host of other things. Generally speaking when you bring a new rat home for your existing colony, you need to quarantine a new rat for 2 wks preferably not in the same room. Sometimes a new rat, though it seems healthy, can be harboring an illness that the rat can pass onto your other rats. It seems that you've already put them together so if either ratty is harboring a bug, the other has been exposed. In the future though, quarantining is best. I know it is a hard thing to do, but really it is prudent.

As someone else stated, proper intros in a neutral area is a must. That means the little ratty should have a seperate cage for the time being. A neutral area (without cages) could be your bed. Put them together for twenty minutes or so at a time. Let them sniff each other out. There maybe some nipping and scuffling and squeaking. That is to be expected. Any blood curdling screams and extreme biting is a sign to seperate the ratlets. Generally older rats accept younger rats fairly easily. Younger rats may, atmost, be an annoyance to an older rat. After a while you'll see them starting to get along. When you see them sleeping in a ratpile, you have hit pay dirt. This may come quickly or it may take a couple of weeks of working with them on your bed. A lot of people put them in the bathtub together as their neutral area. I'm sure others will pipe in and give you some further instructions on doing proper intros. I just gave the abbreviated version as my kids are breathing down my neck for dinner

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

make sure you hold the little baby one and let the older one sniff it with out being jumped on.. it makes it easier on him. my rat gets annoyed at being jumped on and normally shoves the little annoyance to the ground and sits on her. just showing her dominence. my little one hasnt gotten the point yet but they do get along now.

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thanks you guys but there ok now they just needed some time i guess because they were all curled up together this morning and the younger one(Rufus) i think finally got the idea that he cant be snipping at my older rat...but thank you all

My Zoo!

)
Flutterbugs (americano)
Honey (Old English)

R.I.P -Velvet the romping Russian Blue (Stray Rescue) We had to have her euthanized 1/27/09

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yay!!

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah, I was gonna say...how long was this going on? Rats aren't really very sensitive to newcomers in my experience(always exceptions, of course...but I've never come across them with fourteen rats). I was going to say to try it out for a day, making sure there was no blood drawn or anything...squeaking is okay. It's good you gave it some more time and let things iron themselves out. Animals are stronger than humans.

Hahah and if a baby was nipping one of my older ones I'd probably say too bad...the older one will just have to run away or discipline the younger one(considering it was truly a baby, and of course not letting it go on for toooo long).
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:30 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am glad they worked things out.Older rats are actually more willing to accept a ratlet much quicker then another adult.

I actually just finished with introductions regarding an older rat and a youngster! And I did it on nuetral ground,they are now greyt friends! Here is a pic...just had to show them off! Armand and Ninja!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I am glad they worked things out.Older rats are actually more willing to accept a ratlet much quicker then another adult.

I actually just finished with introductions regarding an older rat and a youngster! And I did it on nuetral ground,they are now greyt friends! Here is a pic...just had to show them off! Armand and Ninja!
awww there really cute...theyre doin GREAT rufus still trys 2 annoy wrinkles but i think wrinkles has showed his dominance...and rufus is a crazy lil rat...ill have a pic up soon of the two of them

My Zoo!

)
Flutterbugs (americano)
Honey (Old English)

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Adolescent Pup

There is probaly nothing better to do than seperate them. The new rat is most likely trying to show whos boss. It may be better to introduce them slowly but if they are from different litters they will most likely not get alone. Also males never tend to get alone well as there is fighting over dominance. Try introducing them in a completely new cage so that the other rat does not feel that his territory is being taken from him.
Hope this helps.
Bunnybreeder
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybreeder
There is probaly nothing better to do than seperate them. The new rat is most likely trying to show whos boss. It may be better to introduce them slowly but if they are from different litters they will most likely not get alone. Also males never tend to get alone well as there is fighting over dominance. Try introducing them in a completely new cage so that the other rat does not feel that his territory is being taken from him.
Hope this helps.
Bunnybreeder
Actually with rats,you can successfully introduce males from different litters together.I have done it numerous times and so have many other people.Rats are extremely social animals.

Scroll up abit,there is a picture of two of my rats.They are from different litters and are getting along excellantly!

Your thinking of male mice...male mice from different litters most likely will not get along well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 01:06 AM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry. I thought they were male mice. lol
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Adolescent Pup

U probraly can introduce them over time then. Good luck

Tags
cage bars, fancy mice, male mice, male rat, social animals