I really want a rat...advice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

I really want a rat...advice?

Ok so when I worked in a local pet store last year...someone dropped off two male rats at the door. It was either kill them or take them home, since a store in my city could get in *huge* trouble having live rats, even have a business license revoked. So I took them in, but they died a couple of months ago, they were older.

They weren't the most tame of rats, but I have heard only good things about them. I *really* want another one. Thing is, they are illegal where I live. I could drive 45 mintues and pick up some sweet hand tamed babies, but I don't know if I should feel bad doing so. I can't see any reason they would be discovered, the other ones never were. The only thing I am worried about is having to drive 50 minutes to the nearest vet. In an emergency, It would be tough, I have a setup for two rats already...i just need the rats. It's soo tempting!

What do you think??

Also, would two females be better than two males? Do the two sexes really behave differently?

Last edited by Hillarious; 11-16-2006 at 04:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 05:05 AM

I don't know what to tell you since theyre illegal where you live...
Personally,I love rats now.I never want to be without them.

I have 2 females,they are more active than males,males are more "lap pets".
I know that because my friend Lisa got me addicted to rats & she has both male & female rats in her family of 23(?) ratties The males are more laid back than the females are.Either gender would make great pets tho.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 07:04 AM

Personally, I would wait until you move somewhere where they aren't illegal before getting more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I saw this discussion on here I think a week ago. I thought they were only illegal in certain cities? Can you get a permit or license for them?

*Missy*
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmaster
Personally, I would wait until you move somewhere where they aren't illegal before getting more.
I agree, this seems like the best thing to me.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:14 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
I don't know what to tell you since theyre illegal where you live...
Personally,I love rats now.I never want to be without them.

I have 2 females,they are more active than males,males are more "lap pets".
I know that because my friend Lisa got me addicted to rats & she has both male & female rats in her family of 23(?) ratties The males are more laid back than the females are.Either gender would make great pets tho.
You were close,Melissa...I have 24 rats!! I have 8 girlies and 16 boysies.I personally like the males better as all of my males are sweeter,laid back and more cuddly/affectionate then my girls...who are always on the go!But it doesn't matter...just get two.If you want a more playful,curious,active animal...then get two females,but if you rather a squishy,cuddly,kissy,sook of a rat that will sit with you while you watch TV or go online,then get two males.The choice is really what YOU want in a pet.

I know a girl in Juneau and she has rats.I remembered you mentioned only some places in Alaska are illegal to own rats.Is Juneau one of them,do you know?

Since I could never imagine NOT having a rat in my life,I would go for it.As long as no one in authority knows.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 08:22 AM

Awws,so close !!

Yup,they won't easily be discovered.My dad still don't know I have rats& I currently live at home

I have the worse possible advice,pay no attention to me =P
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Hehe. Well in my city they are illegal. But it seems like half of the people here do not even know that. They sell rat products in pet stores here and when I worked at a store I always had people asking if we sold rats...I personally know at least two people that have pet rats...of course they are the two that know better =)

I'll think about it for sure. I sure miss my two boys.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:32 PM

Yeah Alaska was OFF my places I might move to list for banning rats, craZy YOU KNOW WHATS.
Next up, ireland =d
XD
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

I soooo want to move to Ireland!

update- I probablly can't get rats now...my idiot father threw away my 90$ cage!!! Urrrg i was so raging pi**ed when I found out!

What is the *best* cage for rats? How much would another one cost you think? The one I had was pretty big, very nicely built.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:02 PM

Rats are awesome pets. A good cage is www.martinscages.com

For two rats, the R685 is awesome, but honestly, if you can afford to go bigger, go for the R695.

Although you may really want rats, and they sell rat stuff in your petstores, knowing it is illegal to get/own them where you live, but doing it anyways is very irresponsible.

What about vet care? Rats need it, and if you can't find someone to do it, they die.

A good friend of mine lives in Alaska, and had someone report her to the government for having rats.. all her rats were taken and destroyed, and she was also fined heavily.

Please, re-consider. As much as you want them, it is not worth having them possibly killed just because you want them.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Will It Ever Change?

sometimes (here in Can) things are illegal to buy but not to own (like a grandfather rule), is thjat your case? cause then i'd go get one where it's legal then bring it home. any adoption places where it's free?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 06:07 PM

mulder, where the original poster is from, it is ILLEGAL to own them. In my previous post I said how a good friend lives where they do, and her rats were taken and destroyed.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 08:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

It is illegal in Alberta to own rats too,so thats why I never wanna go there!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 12:38 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I would say not to get anymore until you can get to a area where they are legal because I would not do it in even the smallest chance I was caught and they were taken from me and destroyed!! Could not do it, so I say wait...they are worth the wait!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Tags
female rat, female rats, local pet store, male rat, male rats, pet rats, pet store, pet stores, vet care