I think my mouse is ill - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Unhappy I think my mouse is ill

I have had my little female mouse for about 1/2 a year. The other day I have noticed her acting very different and I am very worried, I know how quickly mice can head downhill. She has been breathing very hard and sneezing or coughing, I'm not sure. She is acting just as normal, eating and doing her activities, the only thing different is that she is not running on her wheel. I think she could have a cold and I really need to know what to do for her, if anything.

Also her fur is messed up on her face where she has been scratching, but only by her right eye. Her fur seems to be a bit puffed but it was always sorta like that.

Please if you know what could be wrong with her and what I can do, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh also is it possible for a mouse to be dehydrated?? Thanks again

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Part of the Pack

About the only thing you can do is take her to a vet to get her on meds. If it's a respiratory problem it's very common and hopefully early enough on that it's treatable. It will only get worse on it's own.

Yes, they can get dehydrated. As long as it has water though I doubt that it would stop drinking unless it is unable to get to the water.

As for her side of her face being poofy, it could just be because sickly rodents often neglect their cleaning rituals because they feel so icky - often giving them a dirty, oily, or poofy look.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

thank you!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

we had a rat get reaaaaally dehydrated before with a full waterbottle and all, we don't know why she didn't drink but she didn't we gave pedialite (sp?) with an eye dropper and squished peas and the next day she recovered, but she wasn't coughing.

Oh and i don't think they get a cold like we do and get over it. It sounds like upper respiratory infection to me which is treatable with antibiotics.

[/CENTER]

Tags
sick mouse