I think my new mouse is prego! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Question I think my new mouse is prego!

So I wanted to make little mice babies and I think it has started but I'm just not sure. I know that she is supposed to have like a little plug on her "area" but I don't see it. BUT she looks a little bit bigger than she did last week. Any ideas???

? #2: Will the boy mouse keep trying to mate if she is pregnant?
~Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

Well if you've been trying to get her preggers chances are she is.And the male mouse i don't think will mate with her if she is preggers.i don't think she would let him,but i'm not an expert on mice,so someone else might know more than me.good luck!

Ratties Rock My World!
My Zoo
Spring,Lynard,Georgia,Teddy,7 of Minnie's children, 2 dwarf rats and our rabbit Charlie
*Proud Rat Owner Since 2005*
RIP Ratties
Raven,Gracie,Chloe,Roxanne,Brandy,August, Nicki, Lulu,Lainey,Minnie,Edward,Jasper
RIP Lance We Still Miss You

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:51 PM
laugh often

plugs are rarely seen during the breeding process. Also I hope I do not come across as rude or someting but I think you need to research alot more before you jump into breeding for the sake of the animal. Like if she is under 3 months it can kill her not to mention alot of mice you buy from stores and such are inbred with multipule genetic and health problems. If you do not know the history of the mouse then you shouldn't breed it. Also pregnant mice need to be taken into special care and be under a special diet to help the growth of the babies during and after pregnancy. Also if she is already pregnant she needs to be taken out of the males territory because when she gives birth in 18-28 days he may possibly eat or she may possibly eat the babies, when mice give birth it's a good idea to leabve them alone for the first few days. they lose body heat fast so when you do look at them make it quick,. Also the reason I siad you may want to avoid disturbing the house after shes given birth is because if she feels like the house or area is unsafe she has a higher chance of consuming all of the litter. I hope this helps a little if you need more info or help you can feel free to p.m. me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

I have done alot of research in breeding and I know alot about it. Just books and websites dont really tell you alot about the male in the process. I know I asked the people at petco and so on and they said that they would both be fine in the cage and then I read else where that it is totally not okay because he is territorial and can't see very well and may try to hurt and eat the babies. I also know they say to leave her in there for 16 days after introduced to make sure she is pregnant and leave her in her own tank till 24 days if there is not babies yet and 3 1/2 weeks with the babies to make sure they are well nourished. I also know about her diet. I knew what I was getting into when I wanted to do this, I'm just a newbie at this and I just want to get this right and keep my mama happy and healthy. I'm just so excited for her!

Victoria

Last edited by victorialovesu; 04-28-2008 at 12:54 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:20 AM
laugh often

I have read several websites and books. And they do tell you about males and some don't so I feel you there. however females can give birth at 28 days it's rare but it happens esp. with 1st time mothers. Also you prob. need to ask people other than petsmart about the health of the animal while breeding--since you came here that's a major advantage. I'm not saying petsmart's and petco's are bad but their knowledge about rodents are not the best. And if you got your mice from the petstore those mice are inbred and the lines won't be very good there could be deformalities, temperment, and other issues in their lines. Sometimes these things won't be dominant in the "parents" life but will show up later sometimes a few generations later. Anyways if you leave the male in there he will mate with the momma right after giving birth causing her to get impregnanted again. This is horrible on the mother mouse because they are suppose to have a fe months in between breedings. To rest and for her body to heal up normal. Not to mention back to back litters can really mess a mouse up sometimes, stress them out or cause them to consume the entire litter. Sometimes the males are ok with the babies but to me personally it's not worth the risk. Also what are you going to do with the babies? They can have quite a large litter so I was just wondering. Anyways I hoped this helped ya some. And welcome to paw talk

1 Cat- Luna
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Okay well here is another question for you. So do you think it is okay after my new boy babies are a little older and I separate them do you think it is okay to put all of my boys including daddy in the same cage? Oh and one more... My daddy has been biting me the last few days and I have not had these two for very long. Any idea why he is biting?
Ooo....okay last question I swear...lol. Is there a better way to pick up my mama while she is pregnant then by her tail?

Also depending on how big the litter I may keep them if there are not too many. If there are I will adopt some of them out to good families. I'm kinda of nervous about that too cause some people may try to use them as feeder mice and I totally don't want that.

Victoria
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Will It Ever Change?

well, you seem to be on the right track i do know little about mice, but let me try. i believe males are rather territorial and you can't keep them together. girls are fine though, have as many as you want! for picking up your prego girl....what about letting her crawl onto your hands? the tail thing might stress her out, no?

as for the feeder mice worry. here's what i've done and it helps wonders! when adopting out any animal, have a minimum $10 asking price. once you find a suitable owner THEN tell them it's free. the asking price weeds out the feeder-wanters. no one will spend ten bux on a mouse that their snake will eat. this helped when i rehomed my rat. it was a tip i got from someone else. hope i've helped!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

A lot of female mice will start to look pregnant at the end of their pregnancy. It will be very noticeable because it'll look like they swallowed a golf ball. If you leave the male mouse in there he will get the female pregnant again. I would just take out the male now for the sake of the mother.
Give her a little extra protein in her diet like a milk bone or something like that.

After the mice are at a weening age, you won't be able to put the males back in with the father. The daddy will be WAY too territorial, and mice will even fight to the death over their territory. You can get the male mice to live in an enclosure but it has to be very big, they have to have enough hidey spots and food.

Also IMO no mouse should be picked up by their tail. The same goes for rats. You can deglove their tail very easily by doing that. If you have to grab the tail to get a hold on the mouse that's fine. Just grab it at the base of the tail then slide your other hand under her butt and pick her up supporting the entire body. If it feels like she is trying to pull away then let go immediately.

Just remember too that mice can be VERY hard to rehome. A lot of people don't consider rodents as pets but as pests so that makes it difficult to find someone to take them.
Just be prepared NOW to have 10+ baby mice. Also keep in consideration that if 7 of those 10 babies are male then you might have to have 7 different enclosures for them.

*Missy*
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:48 PM
laugh often

^^^^well said. Also if the momma mouse isn't use to you then you prob. shouldn't mess with her for 5 days after birth. when you do ocheck on them wait for the mom to leave the house then take her out of the cage and rub your hands in the bedding to smell mor mouse like. And it prevents her from smelling anything weird on her babies. Also you can proint up contracts stating that the owners will contact you if the health of that animals goes down or they pass away and to leave updates via e-mail or something. It helps. I go through mini interviews with every adopter I get. Also another thing is that if the male is biting that is not a good sign esp. when you look into the lines. Sometimes they do bite out of being scared which is normal . Out of years of owning mice I only had two rescue mice bite someone. If you chase them ariound a cage they aremore likely to bite. try holding your hand in the cage with granola or something and wait for him to take treat from you. This helps alot when trying to tame a mouse. If he continues to bite then he should not be bred again. But try to take things slower because mice are naturally prey animals and think like a prey animal so some a skittish. Also the babies go through a flea stage after a few weeks of age where they jump uncontrolable and can jump out of your hand. Also if you look in the article section in the home page there is a "suprise pregnancy" article you can take a peek at to help you get a better idea of how to care for them.

1 Cat- Luna
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

it makes sense he may be getting a little scared. i am still newly bonding with my youngins and it is new for him. my mama is doing really well. today i a piece of milk bone in my hand today and she crawled right up to eat it. her lil belly looks a little bigger. i put him into a new tank today so that she would stop trying to mess with her. but will either mouse get lonely? i picked him up today for a little while and he didnt bite me. hopefully everything keeps going well.
i heard about that flea stage and im just a little nervous. my friend had a baby mouse and that little bugger could jump pretty high and was crazy fast. im going to go pick up a new tank this week before she delievers so that i can hold them without them jumping out of my hand. its worth them not getting injured.

thank u all so much for your help. this has been great. i just cant wait till it is time for her to have those babies!!! i was just thinking how funny it would be if she wasnt really prenant and i have just been fooling myself. lol. she has got to be though she just looks bigger than when i got her.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
laugh often

When mice the mice are weaned sometimes the boys willl develop territorial traits a little early and start to fight. if this happens you need to seperate them so they cannot ight to the death. Sometimes even some of the best of breeders will set up a mating and nothing happens the first time, she will look like a pear when the last week of her pregnancy is due. Now after you seperate the parents you also gotta make sure to know when the babies are born for proper weaning also if she does not have them soon keep her by her self until another 28 days (max) from the day you took the boy out. He could have still got her pregnant before you took her out. When I am holding babies I lightly grab the base of their tail and hold them in my hands (closed) so that way they can't yank their tail when jumping. And they can't jump high cuse your hand is closed loosely.

1 Cat- Luna
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:13 PM
laugh often

I saw your post about the mouse getting bigger, and she should have babies within the next week or twp they do emit somewhat of an odor but you must not clean the cge cause it can upset her enough to consume the litter esp since this is a first time. You said you did alot of extensive research. I am sure at least one of the pages, books, packets should have told you how long until after they are obviousy pregger they will give birth. I think before the mice are weaned and born you should do some more research just on after weaning health and what not. Breeders do not breed for the babies. They breed to improve the health of the animal and to bring quality pets to other families. However I am not saying that this is how you feel or anything, but I am just tring to remind you that it is alot harder to adopt perta out than you know. I have been breeding fancy mice for a long time but I prob. don't breed but every few months and that's due to making sure that the little ones can be adopted out to good families before hand. Alot of people do get into breeding because it's "simple" and a good way to omake money. that theory is somewhat wrong. Esp when you are dealing with mice. the adoption fees barely make enough money to pay for the supplies it took to raise them after the birth process. But yeah. I do wish you the best and never hold back on a question. For the only bad question is the one that goes unanswered. After all we can al learn something new everyday.

1 Cat- Luna
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

^^^Good Posts...

Like I said, mice will usually start to look pregnant the last week. If it looks like she is getting fat in that area then she probably is pregnant. When it looks like she swallowed a golf ball, then expect babies.
For some reason (at least from my experience, I've had 2 oops litters) my girls have had their babies REALLY early in the morning. I'm talking like 4am. I've heard other people say that as well.
Give her nesting materials, like shredded paper towels and toilet paper etc...a good sign that she is pregnant is she'll nest like crazy.
If you have to clean the cage, which you will probably want to do before she has the babies, just scoop out as much bedding as you can but leave the nest. The same goes for after she has the babies.

*Missy*
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

So it is bad for me to pick up Mama toward the end of her pregnancy? The more I look at her I'm not quite sure she is pregnant. To be honest I think she just wasn't being fed the right things or something cause I started looking at Moo yesterday and I can see he has gotten bigger too. Not like Mama, she looks like she has two little lumps on her side and her belly is pretty round. I don't know!!!! I guess I will just have to wait and see. I just cleaned out her cage for the last time till she hopefully pops out those lil cuties. Is it okay if I still give her vitamins in her water?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I don't have to much experience with the vitamins you put in the water. I have heard people say that it's rather pointless because you should be feeding a well rounded diet. Just a little extra protein now should be okay.
If the mice are young (still growing) it might not hurt to give both of them a piece of a milk bone daily. It will at least help with their teeth.
If the mom isn't used to you I wouldn't actually pick her up if it stresses her out. She might feel threatened and eat her babies or have them too early.
If you are hand feeding her just continue doing that until SHE feels comfortable enough to hop into your hand. Some mice don't ever get to that point so don't worry if it takes her awhile or if she never does it at all.
Just when you put your hand in her cage and she runs away then she is still afraid of you.

*Missy*

Tags
adoption fee, baby mice, fancy mice, female mice, hamster food, male mice, nesting material, white belly