i wanna mousy! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

i wanna mousy!

my friend i talk to online has some mice. and there all soo cute! ive finallu decided i want a mouse, she said she'd send me some of hers (they recently had babies) can you Safely ship a mouse?

i told her i didnt know about that, but i for sure want one. i was debating over a mouse or a hamster or grebil for awhile now
but i was talking to my boyfriend on the phone ysterday (hes out of town all week ) and said he doesnt want any rodents bleh! but he didnt say why, he had to go, bleh. why would he say no rodents? i dunno, maybe he just doesnt see them as pets? his family didnt have alot of pets growing up, a few dogs, and a kitten at one point. i dunno, i'll talk to him more later.
Anyway, i was wondering if you all knew of any good websites about mice, as i honestly dont know too much about them, i heard there better in groups of 2 or more, so i was thinking of getting 2 females (and possibly breeding somewhere down the line but not untill i know alot more about them) the nearest petstore that i know sells mice is almost 2 hours, would they be ok with the trip? theres one a little closer(about an hour) but its kind of dirty and i dont like it much. im sure we couldnt make it in the lil box they give you at the petstore, but maybe we could buy one of those little plastic cages for the ride home...
anyway, any information or websites offered would be great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 PM

A good mouse related site is http://www.rmca.org/ although it is a little more focused on rats than on mice it has a lot of information about them too.

As far as the two hour car ride, as long as it doesn't get too hot or too cold and you provide them with food and water, and make sure the cage/tank is in the car securely so it won't move around should you have to stop suddenly or take a corner too sharply it should be ok.

I have never had an animal other than a dog shipped, but I know that they do ship mice and I've never heard of anyone having any issues with it. As long as you look into it thoroughly beforehand it should be ok.

Edited for spelling.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

i tried looking on the web a bit for information on shipping mice, cuz it would be kinda cool to have a few of hers, just the whole keeping the family close thing ya know, but the only information i could find had to do with mice for snake food.. and most have pictures of frozen mice.. and yeah i couldnt look nomore..
i understand mice need to eat and such.. but do we really need pictures! jeez, there should be a warning or something.. "to see pictures of frozen dead bodies click here"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
i tried looking on the web a bit for information on shipping mice, cuz it would be kinda cool to have a few of hers, just the whole keeping the family close thing ya know, but the only information i could find had to do with mice for snake food.. and most have pictures of frozen mice.. and yeah i couldnt look nomore..
i understand mice need to eat and such.. but do we really need pictures! jeez, there should be a warning or something.. "to see pictures of frozen dead bodies click here"
Hehe...I think you meant "snakes need to eat!"...

I have shipped 2 rats and 2 mice out to my best friend in Greenspond,which is several hours away from where I am.They were in carriers with good ventilation,some bedding and some nutriblock and they got to her fine!Doing well actually!It was longer then 2 hours,so you should be fine.

Definatly get 2 females.They are social animals and like being with their own kind.

Do NOT use pine/cedar!!

If you have anymore questions,feel free to ask!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

lol yeah.. but hey mice need to eat too
What company did you use to ship them?
we use aspen bedding for the rabbit, so i think he will share some with them

My Furry Family
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i would definately love to see how this pans out...how far away are you thinking of getting your mice...I wonder how they ship them...obviously it is vent...but still...that would be pretty amazing...althought I assume there is a limit as to how many hours of travel they can take before the stress gets the best of them..

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I often suscribe to a once a year magazine devoted to rodents.. lots of pictures and lots of great tips on mice and exotic rodents...I ll try to find the name of it..

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:07 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
lol yeah.. but hey mice need to eat too
What company did you use to ship them?
we use aspen bedding for the rabbit, so i think he will share some with them
Well...I actually got someone who was going out that way to take them to my friend,so technically not a company and were not on a plane,they were drove there.They got there fine tho.

So you wanna know about shipping via air,I am guessing.I have never shipped any of my animals via air.Your best bet is talking to the airlines in your area.

A gecko breeder I know though,has shipped geckos via air with no problems.And we (Beagle Paws) always ship dogs via air with no problems.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

ic, well kentucky is i think 14-15 hours or so from here, im thinking this would be too long of a trip for a mouse? im a bit worried about getting them from a petsmart 2 hours away

My Furry Family
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i think it would be a pretty long trip for the mouse..they get stressed quickly... and 14-15hours is stressful for anyone esp the mouse

petsmart might be a better choice bc it is closer

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am sure it could be done,but it would be stressful.Maybe going the 2 hours is alot better at this point.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i have taken two of my first mice from sc to florida...was a ten hour drive....everything was going great...then my first mouse Aurelious died in my hands! not a pleasant feeling...but they where in a nice vent cage- big and all.............but ship a mouse via plane...what will it be in ...a dark box or some sort?...i dont know....i dont have a good feeling about that

However, when I used to visit my boyfriend who lived four hours away from me, i would take the rats cage with me in my car...and drive to his place for the weekend...alex and my two rats would go...bc that was their cage-their home....so there wasnt any real stress involved and they are find after tons and tons of those memorable journies...so i think it just depends on the conditions and what the little guys are accustomed to

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Last edited by Skratikans; 09-16-2006 at 02:24 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 11:12 AM

I don't suggest shipping if it's so far away.
If you get it from the store, 2 hours away, best bet is to have a cage already with beeding and food, and a nice piece of cucumbor(no water bottle), and maybe a paper bag or something meant for a house- nice and dark- with something soft in it like shredded toilet paper.
As for breeding- I don't suggest it until you REALLY know what you're doing- inexperience breeding can cause to a lot of problems- for the breeder and the mice.

Last edited by BlackRose; 09-17-2006 at 11:15 AM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRose
I don't suggest shipping if it's so far away.
If you get it from the store, 2 hours away, best bet is to have a cage already with beeding and food, and a nice piece of cucumbor(no water bottle), and maybe a paper bag or something meant for a house- nice and dark- with something soft in it like shredded toilet paper.
As for breeding- I don't suggest it until you REALLY know what you're doing- inexperience breeding can cause to a lot of problems- for the breeder and the mice.
not to mention, having way too many mice that you know what to do with...and finding the right people for them....that dont want to feed them to snakes....

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 05:25 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh yeah...definatly do not get into breeding,until you have experiance with mice and do your research about mice.Also it is no good to just breed pet store mice or mice you know nothing about (genes,lines,backgrounds...etc).And if you cannot find good homes for the mice,you have to be prepared to look after alot of little baby mice that grow up.

* Lisa *

Tags
baby mice, beagle paws, ear infection, pet store, pet stores, snake food, social animals