Ideas for managing nail length - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Question Ideas for managing nail length

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has some good ideas for how to keep rats' nails down--without trimming them. My boys are a bit too hyper at this point to be able to pin them down to successfully (and painlessly) cut their nails.

I have heard rocks and bricks work--and I've got one for them, but it has only made a small difference so far. What about using a nail file? Would this be safe and effective for rat nails?

Other suggestions or ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I use the bird perches that file nails down, I don't remember what they are called at the moment, but they are bright pink (ok the ones I get are, I've seen them in other colors) But I've also used a baby nail file on my rats nails. It's something you have to get them used to while they are still young!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

The only other thing I know about, besides the rock thing is letting them run on shelves or the carpet can help keep them shorter.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 PM
RAT ADDICT

I used bricks and rocks and never had a problem with overgrown nails!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Ok, I think I'll try to get a brick and see if that works a bit better than the rock!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

i have no problem cutting louna's nails with my human nail cutter. i make her stand on her hind legs and hold her front paw, and when she's not moving i cut the very tip. And then still standing on her hind legs on the couch (soft surface so i can get under the nails) and it goes super fast!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

A pumice rock would probably work better than an ol' rock.