I'm 2nd guessing things i dont wanna be 2nd guessing :/ - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I'm 2nd guessing things i dont wanna be 2nd guessing :/

Ok, so Ive always listened to my one friend about pets. She gave me my mice, after all.
The thing is, she had a very bad experience with rats and its making me think twice about my own desison.

Ok, so she had 2 males, and they fought alot. She said they kept her up at night cause of the fighting...of course they werent neutered. They were fine acting when she 1st got them and then turned nasty. They bit and drew quite a bit of blood.The thing is, they were from a petstore, they were unneautered, and the cage was a bit small.

Im planning on 2 neutered boys soon, that have been living together, love each other, and become one becomes slightly distressed when the other is taken from the cage. (according to their foster mommy, from mainely rat rescue, the rats names are Frankie and Albert) I have decided to get the Martain 695 cage, which is big enough for 6. I will probably have 4 rats in a few months, cause I will be adding two females when I come across some that I like. So do I have to worry? I just really value my friend's opinon and Id like some other experienced people....

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lil'Miss
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lilly
Estella
Paranell
Paulie
Penny

Last edited by RodentsRcool256; 12-07-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My rats (females) lived together fine they got in occasional tiffs but didn't draw blood ever, and were very fun to have. I had 5 in a homemade cage. I started with 2, added 2 later, and another one later.

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Generally rats are easier to introduce to each other than many other animals, but sometimes you'll come across a rat that just won't get along with anyone else. If that happens, then you'll just need to keep them in separate cages. Neutered males should be a bit easier to intro, though--and the nice thing is that you could even keep them with females if they don't get along with each other. I've never had females or neutered males, though, but others here have. Hopefully they will have some good advice for you!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Official Loofah Tester

You have hit the nail on the head with the problem and solution: They were in a small cage which increases irritation and aggressive tendencies anyway, and they were intact boys likely suffering from hormonal aggression-since they got along at first and only later started fighting.

Her rats should have been separated after the first couple of times blood was drawn. Once might be a fluke, more than once is a pattern.

My gut feeling, without having the extensive first hand knowledge to back me up, is that your kids will likely be fine. You've already addressed three different aggression aspects:

1) Cage Size
2) Neutering
3) Socialization and an established pair bond via the rescue.

My one concern is I have always read about single neutered males being kept with girls. I've never specifically seen people describe more than one male with females. I am curious if that makes a difference. Would they fight simply because they have females to fight over? I just don't know enough to have that answer, but someone else may.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Part of the Pack

i thought that males didn't really fight over females anyway and that to be a bit blunt, everyone got a turn... am i correct?

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Official Loofah Tester

I honestly don't know. But if someone knows for sure, I'd be interested in the answer.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Part of the Pack

i haven't been able to find anything online about that specific behavior, when i get home i'll have to consult the rat books.

does anyone else have any ideas?

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thankyou very much to those who have replyed. Im glad that I have more feedback now that all males dont fight so much, and one of those rats was just...one of "those rats" who always start a fight.

Thats an interesting point, that the boys may fight just because they are with girls. Ill keep looking into it online, Ive gotta get me one of those rat books...

Lil'Miss
Lilly
Estella
Paranell
Paulie
Penny
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I have had several neutered boys in with intact girls. First group was a bonded pair of brothers. They stayed together all their lives and even got introduced to another neutered boy and 3 younger girls.

The others were a neutered boy, introduced to an older neutered boy into an established colony. The girls were ruder to the new boy than the original boy

Your friend just didn't know enough about rats to realize she had hormonal aggression on her hands (probably just 1 of them, 1 attacks, 1 defends = a lot of noise)...a neuter would've stopped all that and a bigger cage as well. Did they get much out time? This is very important. I have 3 young boys here who are starting to act quite hormonal but the 3 of them are in the bottom of an FN, have several hammocks (so they don't have to share) and get out often.

My most recent boy pairs...are my half-wild brothers, Java and Marsky, who live with 1 intact girl and 1 spayed girl.

Once a boy is neutered they often lose interest in females in that way, so there's no "taking turns" *giggle*

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks very much lilspaz68! Its great to be able to ask questions and have someone with experience answer.

I dont think the rats had much out time simply because my friend didnt wanna get bitten. Since they were so stressed out, I think thats why they bit her anyway.

Lil'Miss
Lilly
Estella
Paranell
Paulie
Penny
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentsRcool256 View Post
Thanks very much lilspaz68! Its great to be able to ask questions and have someone with experience answer.

I dont think the rats had much out time simply because my friend didnt wanna get bitten. Since they were so stressed out, I think thats why they bit her anyway.
You will be fine, plus if there's any issues at all, you have us to turn to and ask questions of

How old are the pair of boys?

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks so much (again)

Theyre about a year according to the page...heres a link. I havent gotton to send in an application yet, hopefully soon though.
http://mainelyratrescue.org/rattieblog2/?p=629

Lil'Miss
Lilly
Estella
Paranell
Paulie
Penny
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentsRcool256 View Post
Thanks so much (again)

Theyre about a year according to the page...heres a link. I havent gotton to send in an application yet, hopefully soon though.
http://mainelyratrescue.org/rattieblog2/?p=629

oh wow, they are too cute~! what are you waiting for scoop them up! Frankie looks freakishly like Queequeg~!

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

They look so sweet!!

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Awwww, they are really cute!!!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Tags
bucks, new rats