I'm going to be in soooo much trouble! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Exclamation I'm going to be in soooo much trouble!

I was on my way to the grocery store to put together a diet for my ratties, and somehow my car ended up at the small pet store where I got Peaches from. I don't know how I got there. My rental car must be posessed! Anyway, when I got out of the car, I instantly went into a trance and was pulled by some unknown force into the store and over to the feeder rat tank. Someone must have been controlling my mind, and they forced me to open the tank and pick out a baby rat (would-be snakefood). Then they forced me to pay for the rat and take it home. That is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Seriously though, I wanted to save a feeder rat. I just had to. Please pray for this little girl. She is young and may have a rough time. She seems ok so far, just tiny. Sundae and Peaches have adopted her as their own baby and are taking care of her like adoring mothers. Its so cute. Mike doesn't know yet, and I have a feeling when he comes home he is going to be pissed! Maybe not once he see's her and finds out she was going to be snakefood, and after I tell him to cool it because she was only $2.00. Please keep us in your thoughts! I will post pics tonight and keep you updated. Oh and names? She is kind of a tan-carmel color. I think I want to stick to the food theme.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Steph you are a very naughty girlie! Only joking, congrats on your new purchase, was she really going to be snakefood? That is so sad.. How about Caramel for a name?

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yep, Mike is coming in here as we speak!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Steph, that is wonderful you brought that tiny girl home! Hey, what is one more rattie? Do you have to quarantine rats like you do chinnies? I don't know much about that subject. When you mentioned her colouring, the first thing I thought of was Pralines n' Cream ice cream.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

omg she must be so adorable! cant wait to see the pics

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks guys. Mike doesn't care! He actually likes her and was like "Thats bs that she was going to be snakefood!" He was mad about that. Denise, yes I probably should have quarantined her, especially since she was in such a crowded tank. But because she appears healthy and has no signs of respiratory infection, I decided to just put her right in. I'm just too worried that she'd be stressed if she was isolated. She's so young, she needs my ratties to take care of her. If they do catch something, they will all go to the vet right away. I think they will be ok though. Praline is an adorable name. I also like Peanut, because she is so small and young. Well I'm off to the store to put their diet together. I will post pics asap!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaaawwwww good on you , least shes going to have a good life now and not end up as some snakes food and i wouldn't worry too much i never quarantined my mice when i introduced them and never had any problems although that could have been more luck than judgement. But anyway goodluck with her and she sounds a little cutie and look forward to seeing pictures

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Alika

Well... snakes have to eat, too (although I wish people would buy frozen rats and mice that were humanely euthanized as opposed to feeding live food)

Hopefully she'll pull through for you and make a good pet. You didn't just safe a rat's life... you may have saved a snake's life as well (since live prey can sometimes seriously injure a snake)

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

how bout rolo????

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika
Well... snakes have to eat, too (although I wish people would buy frozen rats and mice that were humanely euthanized as opposed to feeding live food)
Yep, I agree with you. I wish more people would buy frozen instead of live. I know snakes have to eat, which is why I would never personally be able to have a snake. I just love little critters too much.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Alika

Quote:
Yep, I agree with you. I wish more people would buy frozen instead of live. I know snakes have to eat, which is why I would never personally be able to have a snake. I just love little critters too much.
I've been wanting a boa... been putting it off because of the birds. Don't want boas eating little birdies, now, do we? But I deal with frozen mice (both adults and pinkies), rats, rabbits, quail, and fish all the time at the aviary where I volunteer, so I don't think it would bother me to feed them. I just don't think I could feed live rats... good thing, too, since it's better for both the prey and the predator

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

you need to do a quarantine for 3-4 weeks. they can'nt even be in the same room together, or even the same house if you have central air conditioning, etc.

there are a lot of illnesses that especially feeder rats carry. I once walked into a pet store (petsmart that doesn't even SELL feeder rats), held a rat, then came home within 1 hour of holding the rat. about a week or two later, my rats had SDA and three died from it. I spend tons on vet bills for them... learned my lesson fast.

basically you have to watch out for sendai, SDA, and all sorts of other junk.. and just because they "look" healthy doesn't mean they're not carrying something passively. I had 14 rats with my SDA outbreak and a couple didn't even SHOW symptoms but were treated anyway with baytril and doxycycline.. it's just painful when they suddenly die from something prevenntable.....

just so you know for the future. hopefully the rat won't have anything though... and I've done it before, so I can't blame you, but also remember every rat you save, two more replace it. but I will say once in a while a little PEW just sticks in your heart ad you have to get them... I wound up with Beautiful Steven that way, as well as Harley and Wanda

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTamer
you need to do a quarantine for 3-4 weeks. they can'nt even be in the same room together, or even the same house if you have central air conditioning, etc.

there are a lot of illnesses that especially feeder rats carry. I once walked into a pet store (petsmart that doesn't even SELL feeder rats), held a rat, then came home within 1 hour of holding the rat. about a week or two later, my rats had SDA and three died from it. I spend tons on vet bills for them... learned my lesson fast.

basically you have to watch out for sendai, SDA, and all sorts of other junk.. and just because they "look" healthy doesn't mean they're not carrying something passively. I had 14 rats with my SDA outbreak and a couple didn't even SHOW symptoms but were treated anyway with baytril and doxycycline.. it's just painful when they suddenly die from something prevenntable.....

just so you know for the future. hopefully the rat won't have anything though... and I've done it before, so I can't blame you, but also remember every rat you save, two more replace it. but I will say once in a while a little PEW just sticks in your heart ad you have to get them... I wound up with Beautiful Steven that way, as well as Harley and Wanda
Uh-oh, now I'm worried. What is SDA? I haven't read about that one. I hope she is ok and my others don't get sick. What should I do? I will be keeping a close eye on all of them. I couldn't help it, I just felt so bad for all those babies. Its just not fair that they all have to be crammed in that tank like that, waiting to be snakefood.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I once saved a feeder mouse from being eaten by a snake, so I know what you mean. I hope everything goes well for ya!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Congratulations on the new baby! 8) I thought of Caramel as a name too, but I like Peanut also. I hope that she's healthy (hey, I had luck with 6 little feeder mice, all healthy) and I want to see pics soon. 8)

Dimaris

Tags
pet store, respiratory infection