Photos! I'm a little frustrated with Bonnie... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm a little frustrated with Bonnie...

She gave birth to three babies (that I could find), only 2 were alive. One was just a skeleton left (ew...). Both of her babies don't look so good in my opinion... Their skin is dry looking, and i don't think they are drinking enough. They are a tiny bit lethargic. Bonnie is in with them constantly, but they are always in the wrong spot to drink, and Bonnie is too preoccupied with herself to care what they are doing. I moved them from her house to take a quick peek at them, and she takes them back in with her when i set them down, but then she just goes on with whatever else little ratties care about. She did this in her first litter also, and she had 13 that time and only 5 survived... I was hoping she would get the hang of it this time around... doesn't look like it though.

Here's a picture

So... looking for opinions... Do you all think I should give her 2 babies to Gretchen (who currently has 11 babies) or leave them with mom for a while longer and see how it goes?

I don't know what the best thing to do would be, I already had to give Beth's babies to Gretchen..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Hello Earthling

Maybe if you keep her with another mother she will see what they are doing and then she will know what to do.

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Hmm they don't look to good, maybe you could push them against her belly so that they will get milk. If they aren't getting milk I would definitely give them to the other rat, but Gretchen might be sad or angry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

I tried putting them up to a nipple, and Bonnie just tries to run up my arm or climb out of her cage. So I just gave them to Gretchen, and she stuck her head out of her house, started cleaning them and then picked them up and brought them in her house.

They were looking worse since the pic a few hours ago, so I just decided to move them now before they get any worse. I know how delicate these newborns are, so I didn't wanna give it too much time.

I'll keep a close eye on them still..
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I bet Gretchen is just happy to help the situation. I bet it will be fine. Post pics of her and all her babies when you get a chance!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

I'll take some pics tomorrow, I don't want to bother her anymore tonight so the new babies have a chance to get their bellies full. I'm sure they'll be fine too, I just over worry about everything.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Gretchen is such a sweetie for adopting the babies!! Hope all goes well!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Bonnie should never have been bred if she was like that with her first litter. it may not be her attitude but her genetics may have some hidden timebomb in them Gretchen should be fine with 13 bubs as long as she is supplemented well.

I wish the wee ones well.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Needless to say, Bonnie will not be bred anymore now. And you're right, lilspaz, she shouldn't have been bred again, I was just taking a chance. I'm not gonna go through this nightmare again with her.

I'm gonna go check on the babies in a bit, Gretchen has them all buried under the bedding in her house with her. I'll undig them when she comes out lol.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:20 PM

yes make sure to send pics and i hope the two little ones make it
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

All 13 are doing great, and the 2 from Bonnie are looking a LOT better today! The light pink babies are Gretchens; the darker red ones were Beths; and the one with color on its back, and the one near that ones bottom were Bonnies.

Last edited by ShannonMarie; 07-03-2009 at 01:06 PM.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Hello Earthling

Awww cute! I like the little outcast one....

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

My husband likes the outcast one too, he wants to keep that one. But we won't know which one that is once it moves back with the others haha. He wants to put marker on its tail, but I won't let him, dunno if the marker will soak into its skin and harm her and don't want to take a chance either.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow, they do look a lot better!! Good luck!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Use animal safe food coloring