I'm new to mice. Help please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I'm new to mice. Help please!

My names Laurena. My boyfriend just bought me two mice for Christmas one is a pet shop mouse and the other is from a private breeder. I have a few questions I hope that somebody could help me with.

*Pet shop mouse is called Fendey & I think he could be about 2months old & the private breeder mouse is called MJ and is probably really only about 4-5weeks I've had to seperate them so they are both in different enclosures now*

1) Fendey & MJ both seem to jump around a lot is that normal it's almost like they don't mean to they always look surprised when they do it and like they can't stop
2) Will I ever be able to introduce them. They both act fine in my hand but when I put them in a cage together Fendey bites MJ and kind of "suckles" his belly and then bites him and chases him around the cage.
3) MJ never really uses his wheel and eats a lot is this because he's younger than the other mouse and hasn't quite figured it out.
4) MJ likes to climb up on top of his house and sleep whereas Fendey seems to like pushing all of his bedding out of his house and then enjoys pushing it back in why do they do this.

Hope somebody can help they probably sound like silly questions but I've only had them 2weeks.
Thanks Laurena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Hey Laurena,

1) Yes, the bouncing is called 'popcorning'. All baby mice and rats do it, some moreso than others. It's so much fun watching them bounce around.

They'll outgrow it. But, be careful when handling them in the meantime obviously, they'll pop out of your hand for a fall to the hard floor quicker than you can say popcorn.

2) If they are boys, then most likely not. Male mice are very territorial and will often kill each other. There are exceptions, as some of our other mouse owners will tell you, but it is unlikely, especially considering they are not siblings raised together. Females do well in colonies as long as you introduce them properly.

Just an obvious warning though: If you get females later on, don't ever put them in with the males, even for a minute. They mate with incredible speed, and easily have 6-20 babies in a pop. That would be a separate cage purchase for each baby male you might have, and possibly the purchase of a larger tank for your females. You could easily end up with a wall of 20+ cages before you're done from one five minute 'oops'.

3: Probably. Mousies love their wheel. He'll probably warm up to it before too long. Give him time.

4: It's just different personalities. I had a little girl who loved to sleep on top of her water bottle. Another who was quite the little house keeper, constantly rearranging her bedding. You'll find they do have very distinct personalities. Some nervous and bitey, some fearless and calm and anything in between. It's my favorite thing about watching them!

And, please, ask all the questions you can come up with! I'm getting rats and have asked all kinds of silly questions. I'm often surprised at how non-silly they actually turn out to be when I get my answers!

Post pictures soon! We lufs fuzzybutts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 01-03-2010 at 07:40 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Male mice will kill each other. Even brothers will kill one another. Sorry...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Red face thanks

okay a few more questions:
a) what should their diet really consist of I bought some pellets and grains should i give them anything else.
b) MJ had a water bowl (I have since bought him a water bottle to use) and he seemed to enjoy putting all his millet (i think it is) and his bedding into it >.< WHY!
c) Fendey hates me putting food into his bowl and pushes it over every now and then why the heck does he do it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Official Loofah Tester

a) I don't have educated advice on this. Perhaps someone else knows better than I do. Mine ate lab blocks and seed mixes. Try to get seed mixes with less sunflower seeds, or remove them by hand. There apparently is a link between tumors and too many sunflower seeds (?) From personal experience, don't feed them dogfood or too many high water content veggies like cabbage-it gives them vile diarrhea which can be life threatening if it goes on too long.

b) Nothing more than they love to root and make messes. Water bottles are definitely the way to go.

c) Probably because they are foragers by nature. They dig and root for their food. He's probably knocking it over so it's easier to find the 'choice' pieces. LOL Try getting one of those heavier crockery style bowls and see if that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

not all male mice will kill eachother (im new to mice as well) this is what iv learn here so far. but a lot will so i wouldnt suggest putting them togethier as they are not littre mates. jumpy is normal mine are still like that but are quickly getting over this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thank you, is there anything else is particular that i should know.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Honestly, I make my own home-made mix. I don't believe in feeding lab blocks to rodents who eat grains and seeds by instincts. I think that's taking away from their natural right as rodents.

My home-made mix consists of golden millet and a little bit of white(white's not good for them though, red or golden is best), Post's "Grapenut" Cereal which consists of oats and barley, some white rice, a seed mix consisting of flax seed, canary grass seed, rape seed, and nyger(sp?) For the dog kibble, I used Wellness's Complete Health Chicken flavor. I also have some bits of walnut in his mix, walnut wards off...shoot, what was it... some kind of tumor or cancer in mice. I've also given him grape seeds because they're supposed to ward off a different type of cancer as well.

I feed 1/2 tsp a day, it's just enough to fill him so that he eats everything, and doesn't selectively feed - there's not enough food for him to selectively feed on one or a few items and get full off of it. He must eat everything to fill up his belly.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thank you i will do that. What is best for their beds? like to nest in?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 PM
RAT ADDICT

Welcome!

You have gotten alot of great advice here.

Unfortunatly because they are not littermates and have shown signs of fighting,they most likely won't be able to live together.

For food,I do not give them a diet of only lab blocks because I find if only fed lab blocks rats and mice lose weight and get skinny.I give my mice a seed mixture,along with some of the homemade mix I make for the rats.

Bedding can be shredded paper,fleece or an old sock (or other piece of old clothing).

EDIT: nobody mentioned this...but do not use pine or cedar litter!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have Aspen bedding and it is no aromatic oils is that okay?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,thats good and safe.
I use aspen for my critters as well!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

cool, the lady at the shop said it was really good so I got it as they only had pine otherwise and she said it was bad for them cause of their lungs/
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolamooth View Post
cool, the lady at the shop said it was really good so I got it as they only had pine otherwise and she said it was bad for them cause of their lungs/
She is correct.Pine and cedar both contain phenols which are harmful to mouse (and all small animals) lungs and can cause all sorts of issues,the main one being "Respiratory Illness".

I have been using aspen for years,sometimes mixed with Yesterday's News and/or shredded paper and never had problems.I like aspen.Plus it is safe.

* Lisa *

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

wow a pet shop told you to get aspen and not pine becuase it was bad. Wow that is the 1st. Most aroudn here will tell you use pine or ceder to sell it.
Siblings males will live together more so then none sibling males. some times if they are young enough the older one will asablish domints and the younger ones or babies will be submisive as I have place weened babies with the adult males and they are fine for a while but I always watch them becuase when they get to a certin age they can fight which can end it a vet trip becuase of a bad injery or death.
Male mice stink more so them females and you could try spot cleaning the cage or litter traing them or vanilla extras the real vanilla a drop or 2 in there water. It helps keep the amonya of the pee down. Or getting them nutered I have heard that nutterd males can live together better then none nuttered males. I have never had nuttered males so I cant tell you if this is ture or not. But some males are just 2 agressive altered or not.
Like people animals have their own personalitys. Some of mine will build a nest to sleep in and other just sleep were ever and some take a while to figer out what a wheel is were as other I have to take it out to make shure they eat and drink or they would run them selves to death. lol Mice can be jumpy and some are not.
You can try play time in the bath tub with lots of things for them to climb on and make it like a big play ground for them. The Fun mouse has some infor on houseing males related and none related to gether that have worked for me. Some males have to have a 15 gal tank or cage that is big for 2 to have their own territory with seperat food water and lots of things to intertian them selves. and other a 10 gal becuase this forces them to share territory but this is all baced on if you have a dominet male or an agresive male.
to play it safe keep them seperate and only have out time if they are fighting and bullying to much. This will make them and you happyer and less stress of them fighting and also it will save them from killing one another or a trip to the vet to treat a nasty bite.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.

Tags
bed, fighting, jumping, males, mice